Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hope Specialized Can Make This Right...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-24, 11:27 AM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts

Bad enough using sweat shop labor, but then not even paying the workers?

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/recent-investigation-reveals-that-specialized-owes-salvadoran-workers-dollar659000-in-unpaid-wages
Old 04-02-24, 11:49 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 1,210 Times in 698 Posts
Would it not be the owner of the factory that pays wages and not the customer of the product?
Deep pockets maybe ?

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 04-02-24, 01:05 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 141 Posts
I’m no fan of Specialized, but if they received and paid for the products already, it seems they don’t have any other responsibility here.
Old 04-02-24, 01:24 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
This is the real danger of the internet being played out right in front of us. None of us have knowledge of Salvadorian labor law or contract law, all we have is some minimal information, but no knowledge of the laws. I see the union is utilizing the internet into getting some action from Specialized as they know that some of us will consider this minimal information to be knowledge and cry out loudly for Specialized to accept responsibility for these workers wages.
No, I am not a Specialized fanboy, in fact I don't own anything Specialized, and in general dislike the brand.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 04-02-24, 02:33 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked 1,633 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
This is the real danger of the internet being played out right in front of us. None of us have knowledge of Salvadorian labor law or contract law, all we have is some minimal information, but no knowledge of the laws. I see the union is utilizing the internet into getting some action from Specialized as they know that some of us will consider this minimal information to be knowledge and cry out loudly for Specialized to accept responsibility for these workers wages.
No, I am not a Specialized fanboy, in fact I don't own anything Specialized, and in general dislike the brand.
Well, we do have this quoted from the article itself:

In fact, according to the Worker Rights Consortium, Salvadoran law required that the workers be compensated for 28 days of unpaid wages and 50% of their severance pay by December 13, 2022, with the contingent that APS would secure a buyer for the factory.
It sounds to me that they are in violation according to El Salvadoran law. Considering the other companies that contract with the factory have agreed to (at least some) payment, we can infer that those companies feel that El Salvadoran law applies, too. So, there is that.

I'm not an El Salvadoran law attorney. It is maybe possible that the other for-profit companies that are not Specialized or Hanes paid the factory workers out of the goodness of their hearts because they truly love the workers and are always looking to pamper them with luxury, lollipops, and good feelings from fuzzy bunnies and El Salvador an Labor law wasn't even a consideration in their benevolent generosity. But, what do I know?

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 04-02-24, 03:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked 4,036 Times in 2,693 Posts
Keep in mind that this factory also produced for Gildan and Hanes. Gildan and a 4th company did pay 2/3s of the total wages which is something. Whether that was legally required or it was a CYA sort of deal we may not know (we know they met with workers on that) I would wonder how the breakdown is for the 4 companies using that factory I would have to imagine probably Gildan and Hanes are the biggest but that would be interesting to know.

However in the end just meet with the workers and come to an agreement. Heck go to the area and pay the workers and distribute some free bikes to the families. Make it look really good for you even if it is a silly PR thing make yourself look amazing. It will help your image even if it does cost money people will see that and will heap praise on you even if not totally deserved.
Old 04-02-24, 03:57 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 982 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
However in the end just meet with the workers and come to an agreement. Heck go to the area and pay the workers and distribute some free bikes to the families..
Do you think that these people will benefit from a few free bikes?
Money talks
Old 04-02-24, 04:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked 4,036 Times in 2,693 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Do you think that these people will benefit from a few free bikes?
Money talks
Make sure you read what I said:
Heck go to the area and pay the workers and distribute some free bikes to the families..
I said pay them first and then give some free bikes out. Benefit yes, bikes are a great tool for so many people all over the world for many different reasons but even if not they are still good PR once they have paid the money and met with them. I am not saying replace any of the money with bikes the bikes are just like a tip sort of thing.

Heck make them Buffalo bikes or a similar program like the Buffalo bikes where they have a local mechanic trained up and such. I cannot think of a lot of people in this world who wouldn't benefit from a bike in some way or another aside from those who actually cannot ride due to a physical issue or live in an area that is somehow not cycle-able without being a pretty skilled mountain biker.
Old 04-02-24, 04:11 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18446 Post(s)
Liked 15,672 Times in 7,368 Posts

I’ll check back after dinner.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-02-24, 04:30 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 1,053 Posts
Evidently the Apparel that was made in El Salvador was not paid for. Or quite possibly an improper or quasi governmental contract was not reimbursed. Either way... Its Just Money... Only Money... No Money... No Parts... No Deal...

Old 04-02-24, 05:38 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Originally Posted by zandoval
Evidently the Apparel that was made in El Salvador was not paid for.
Please quote source

Thanks

Barry
Old 04-02-24, 07:12 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
Please quote source... Thanks Barry
I briefly dug into this and got confused. Doing business in another country is difficult. There is their own versions of Unions and Governmental and Economic Control. Could it be that entering into a contract with a manufacturing source is actually hiring that manufacturing sources employees. To the point they are working directly for you. Kinda twisted the way we look at it but it is normal in some countries. Even big companies like Specialized could possibly stroke a group the wrong way and get a problem.

I asked my neighbor who is from El Salvador and it would appear that the manufacturing plants involved with Specialized and Hains are in Santa Ana. He says the three big manufacturing areas in El Salvador are Santa Ana, San Salvador, and San Miguel. He also said that doing business in those areas was immensely different in each area. With each area having its own hiring, firing, and contractual laws. Go figure. Here are a few sources but its hard trying to get the real story.
https://cleanclothes.org/news/2024/c...age-theft-case

https://www.workersrights.org/wp-con...l-Salvador.pdf
https://milcoapparel.com/
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/ab...ce/el-salvador
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...n-unpaid-wages
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wor...ctory-workers/

At least ARENA or FMLN are not involved... Yet...
Old 04-02-24, 07:22 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

zandoval ,
I’m IT for a manufacturer of women’s clothing, but not in El Salvador.
None of our offshore factories work that way, we simply spec a product and contract to purchase the completed items.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 04-03-24, 08:09 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 386 Posts
3rd world garment workers exploited and defrauded of their wages, and 1st world corporations using sub contractors to distance themselves? Who knew...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 04-03-24, 09:06 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Nah, I better not...
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 04-03-24, 09:45 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Originally Posted by Outrider1
Nah, I better not...
My hat is off !

I tried not to, and failed.
But I did try to tread really gently.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 04-04-24, 01:44 PM
Lamont Cobb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
My hat is off !

I tried not to, and failed.
But I did try to tread really gently.

Barry
Old 04-04-24, 08:56 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,818 Posts
There is a reason it is called El Slaveador.