Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

reasonable price for a tuneup?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-07, 07:18 AM
danpetrov

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi folks,

new to the forum here. i have a question that i hope isn't too silly. i used to ride a lot when i was a teenager/college student, but i've fallen away from it over the past ten/fifteen years. i just took a new job that is the right distance and has the right facilities to let me bike to work. i pulled my bike out of the garage rafters, and it clearly needs some tuning up.

i used to do this stuff myself, but i don't have the knowledge/time/tools anymore, so i'm just going to have it fixed up at a shop. question is, what would you expect as a fair price for lubing everything, new cables where necessary, new bearings where necessary, maybe some new brake pads, etc. (stuff i'm not thinking of?)

i just don't want to get ripped off or spend lots of time getting dozens of estimates.

thanks in advance.

dpp
Old 03-28-07, 07:22 AM
kartoffel
velosipedist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most shops charge $20 to $50 for a "basic" tuneup that cleans and torques stuff but does not rebuild bearings or include replacement parts.

The more that needs to be fixed, the more it's going to cost. How much do you want to rebuild?
Old 03-28-07, 07:25 AM
fiver

Bikes: VooDoo Limba, 2000 GF Kai Tai, old lugged fixies

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$45 for a basic tune up, not including cables.

We charge $175 for a complete overhaul which includes cables, housing, grease, bearings, and brake pads.
Old 03-28-07, 07:26 AM
danpetrov

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks, that's helpful.

i don't anticipate needing any new bearings -- headset, bottom bracket, and hubs all feel fine -- headset might need to be repacked. some cable ends look like they might have a bit of corrosion on them, so it would probably be a good idea to replace those, i'd guess.
Old 03-28-07, 10:48 AM
Falkon 
No Talent Assclown

Bikes: 1984 Ciocc Designer '84, Custom Columbus EL Keith Anderson -- Ultegra/DA 10sp mix, 2019 Trek Checkpoint AL All-arounder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Shop where I help out charges $50 for a basic tune-up. That includes cleaning your bike, making sure shifting is right, checking headset/bb tension, brakes, everything but truing wheels. $79 adds in truing wheels. $109 is major tuneup plus overhauling BB, wheel bearings, headset, and replacing cables
$20 to just replace cables.