Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front brake pads move when taking quick release wheel on/off

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-07, 10:11 PM
Nitram

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Title basically sums it up. When i take off my front quick release wheel (to lock it up with my rear wheel), the brake pads seem to move a little bit.
Thus, when i put the wheel back on, the pads rub on the rim and i get really annoyed.

Just wondering if there is a way to stop this from happening in future....

If there are any previous threads covering it please let me know!
Thanks, marty.
Old 10-10-07, 10:19 PM
fiver

Bikes: VooDoo Limba, 2000 GF Kai Tai, old lugged fixies

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's common for this to happen when reinstalling your wheel. Grab the front brake a few times and see if it goes away. If not, check you brake adjustment and realign your pads. Sounds like a pretty simple problem that your LBS with fix for free or cheap if you can't pin it down.
Old 10-10-07, 10:46 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
One of the most common causes of this is that the axle isn't getting put all the way into the dropouts on both sides when you re-install the wheel. The axle isn't square in the dropouts, and suddenly the brakes are "out of adjustment." I would check this first. Beyond that, is the tire too fat to clear the brake pads when you remove/install the wheel, even when the brakes are released? If that's the case, you might have to deflate the tire, at least partially, to keep from knocking the brakes out of adjustment when you remove/install the wheel.

Last edited by well biked; 10-10-07 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-10-07, 10:59 PM
remsav

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by well biked
One of the most common causes of this is that the axle isn't getting put all the way into the dropouts on both sides when you re-install the wheel. The axle isn't square in the dropouts, and suddenly the brakes are "out of adjustment." I would check this first. Beyond that, is the tire too fat to clear the brake pads when you remove/install the wheel, even when the brakes are released? If that's the case, you might have to deflate the tire, at least partially, to keep from knocking the brakes out of adjustment when you remove/install the wheel.
+1

Definitely check the alignment before you mess with the pads etc... I had a similar problem when I took a rear wheel off and thought I had put it back on straight ... after messing with the pads/adjusting the wires to make more room for the rubbing pads I realized the alignment of the tire was slightly off vs the holder/frame that caused one side of the pad to rub when it didn't previously.
Old 10-10-07, 11:24 PM
Nitram

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You were right! The wheel wasnt sitting correctly (although it appeared to be). Back to normal now

Thanks for the help. I'll practice putting the wheel back on properly.

Time to go for a ride!
Old 10-11-07, 05:50 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
When you put the wheel back on, right the bike, then open and close the QR. Should seat itself if it's not already.