Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hip Surgery and riding

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Hip Surgery and riding

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-15, 05:35 PM
dvizz

Bikes: Wilier GTR SL, Wilier Jena Hybrid ebike, Cannondale Scalpel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hip Surgery and riding

I'm 66 and ride mostly road but also mountain bike. I rode 5,000 mi last year as recorded by my Garmin 705 GPS. My hip has really been bothering me these past few months and I was given an MRI and diagnosed with moderate arthritis. I don't relish the idea of a hip replacement but that may be where I'm heading. I've been taking ant-inflammatory drugs but the pain has gradually increased in frequency and duration. Has anyone had that procedure performed and what is the effect on their riding experience . Just as good as before surgery or a decline in performance.
Old 06-03-15, 06:14 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
With respect to the hip, better. I was 58 when I had my hip replaced. I was back on the bike riding up to 40 miles or so in about six to eight weeks. Replacement was about 1 December 2009 and I did RAGBRAI with my sister in July 2010 without a problem.

If your hip is such that it seriously affects your quality of life and the doctor says a replacement is right for you, I'd say go for it at the earliest opportunity. It's a big deal and surely no walk in the park, but if you're experiencing constant pain and have mobility issues, well, my experience is that it's well worth it. Of course, if it's the proper procedure for you is something you and your doctor must decide.
Old 06-03-15, 06:22 PM
SurfNTurf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last edited by SurfNTurf; 06-10-15 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-04-15, 10:49 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
an unfortunate post hip surgery bike crash has taken out Mr Kerry , the Current Secretary of the US State Dept.

for a while .. Cracking the top of my Femur on a pavement fall was laying me up in a cast for weeks, when I was A young 30.

be careful out there..
Old 06-04-15, 01:27 PM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But remember, Kerry has had both his hips replaced and he was still riding up the best of the Alps. It did not appear to slow him down. It shouldn't slow you down either once rehab is over.
Old 06-08-15, 11:32 AM
Houseboy522

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My experience with replacement survey has been great:
I was having trouble getting on and off the bike but coouldn't figure out why I was having so much trouble lifting my leg up over the saddle. I looked on this site and based on the many good posts here, it was easy to recognize that my problems were due to hip arthritis (mild at that time).
It gradually got worse (over a few years). I went to doc and he took some X-rays and agreed. Said I would be a candidate for hip replacement whenever I was "ready". Said I would know it when I was tired of putting up with the pain/inconvenience, etc.
I rode for a couple of more years, main "problem" was I could not keep my knees straight. Basically I kept peddling with one knee sticking out all of the time. Finally decided to do something when my KNEE STARTED HURTING (clipless pedals you know). Had replacement surgery Dec 12, 2013. Got back on indoor trainer Feb 1, 2014 and rode till the weather broke and then outside all summer. Been feeling great ever since.
Old 06-08-15, 03:06 PM
TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
I fractured my hip in a bike accident about three and a half years ago. The location of the fracture put it at risk for necroses, it was right at the top of the femur where it attaches to the ball so there was a real chance that circulation would be an issue. In any event I had a replacement and after rehab it's really not an issue as far as cycling is concerned. I generally ride around 175 to 200 miles a week over 6 days and am not held back by it at all. What I had to give up was running since the impact of it would shorten the life expectancy of the hip. My surgeon told me one of the most important things to do to extend the life of the hip is to strengthen the surrounding muscles and keep your weight down. I take that advice seriously and really work at both.
Old 06-10-15, 07:30 PM
Old coach

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a total hip replacement last June. I was back on the bike within 7 weeks. I've ridden over 1000 miles since. Now, I am getting a new knee next week; hoping for a similar recovery. Good luck to you.
Old 06-12-15, 04:41 PM
TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Old coach
I had a total hip replacement last June. I was back on the bike within 7 weeks. I've ridden over 1000 miles since. Now, I am getting a new knee next week; hoping for a similar recovery. Good luck to you.
My wife had bi-lateral knee replacement. Her recovery from that made my recovery from hip replacement look like a walk in the park. I'm sure you'll do well but just be advised the knee is more involved and a less stable joint.
Old 06-12-15, 09:36 PM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
18 months ago I got distracted and hit a curb. Broke my hip. New hip that day. Quite a lot of trauma that day and my first 3 days in hospital were very uncomfortable. It doesn't affect cycling at all, essentially, although putting socks on is still difficult.

My hips were in excellent shape, so for me it's not "better" now, but EVERY person like you (with problem hips) I've talked to has been delighted.

My knees are not in great shape (lifetime runner, track captain (miler) in HS, sub 3-minute marathons in my 40's). I had the worst one replaced in January. Life is better!

Do it!