Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Turmeric?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-17, 06:56 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Turmeric?

Anyone here use it? Tell me how it has helped.
Thanks!
Old 02-23-17, 08:00 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
I thought it did. Used it for years along with chondroitin for elbows and knees. Then I quit all supplements in preparation for some unrelated surgery and after rehab never went back. Pain free. I eat mostly vegan these days which I think helps more to eliminate inflammation/pain in the joints.
Old 02-23-17, 08:40 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Some of my Facebook contacts repost this stuff about turmeric and every natural, organic, holistic and magic bean that comes along and captures the memescape with pretty graphics. The links are always to, at best, breathlessly enthusiastic sites with no corroborating medical evidence, or outright B.S. hoax sites like "Natural News" and David Wolfe -- he who claims "chocolate is an octave of the sun" -- whatever the hell that means. But since I like chocolate I'll give him a pass on that one. But Natural News is such a B.S. site it's just been delisted by Google, in part due to persistent underhanded scam/spam SEO tactics.

Hey, I use lots of turmeric in cooking. Love the stuff. But it's not a miracle cure for anything.

You know what's a miracle? That we can buy proven effective pain relievers and anti-inflammatories, anti-histamines, digestive remedies, etc., over the counter without a prescription, with properly researched, peer-reviewed and documented efficacy and risks fully documented. Cheap, too, compared with turmeric, ginseng, mandrake root, eye of newt and essential oils.

Be sure to get a good curry recipe with that turmeric. It's yummy.
Old 02-23-17, 09:33 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
[QUOTE=canklecat;19397454......
Be sure to get a good curry recipe with that turmeric. It's yummy.[/QUOTE]

Gobi Aloo is nice too. Lots of tumeric is better than less. I did a quick search and this one looks good:

Gobi Aloo (Indian Style Cauliflower with Potatoes) Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Old 02-23-17, 10:28 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
Turmeric and many other spices are win-wins, with nutritional and aesthetic benefits. I use them liberally.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-23-17, 10:51 AM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat

Hey, I use lots of turmeric in cooking. Love the stuff. But it's not a miracle cure for anything.

You know what's a miracle? That we can buy proven effective pain relievers and anti-inflammatories, anti-histamines, digestive remedies, etc., over the counter without a prescription, with properly researched, peer-reviewed and documented efficacy and risks fully documented. Cheap, too, compared with turmeric, ginseng, mandrake root, eye of newt and essential oils.

Unfortunately, I've never found any kind of natural "miracle cure" for any of my various aches and pains and conditions, either. I have found some "natural" remedies or supplements that help with some of them - but not necessarily any better than a pharmaceutical product for the same condition. Unfortunately, where there is money to be spent, and money made, people will try every approach to part the naive from their cash.

People bash big pharma, and some of it is justified. But we are living in an age of some pretty major medical miracles, including a lot of drugs that help a lot of people. Personally, I'm really happy with a multi-drug treatment regimen for my asthma - singulair, symbicort daily, and an albuterol inhaler and OTC pseudophedrine if symptoms flare up anyway, or if I know I'm going to be exposed to a lot of triggering agents, such as the day I cut the lawn.

OTOH, I also believe there is room in "traditional" medicine to include alternative treatments if they help and don't harm. The big teaching hospital here has a pretty big integrative medicine practice in their cancer center.
Old 02-23-17, 12:24 PM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I use turmeric for aches associated with a minor case of gout. Comes in capsules from the health aisle in the supermarket. I am approaching the end of the first bottle.

No benefits!

There is not going to be a second bottle...

I use turmeric in many Indian dishes (I love cooking Indian) but don't expect any benefits from cooking level quantities...

I have seen temporary relief drinking the juice of one lemon in a cup of hot water. The pain goes awy for a few hours (it is a discomfort rather than pain in my big toes, and does not seem to be affected if I have red meat (seldom eaten) with a glass of red wine, or fish with plain water for dinner).
Old 02-23-17, 02:54 PM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing will give you a larger dose of vitamins and minerals than liver. Get over the hangups and eat healthy. Supplements are a waste of money.
Old 02-23-17, 08:03 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I've been taking one turmeric 500mg capsule twice per day for a little over a year now and I (my knees) love it! Before that I'd been taking glucosamine and chondroitin for several months, close to a year (because they say it has to build up in you to become effective). I never got any relief from that. My wife read about turmeric so I went to the local health food store and got some. I felt relief the next day. But you can get the stuff in capsule form in the vitamin isle at any drug/grocery store. But just like any supplement...it may not work for everyone. I say give it a try. It's all natural. Can't hurt (unless you happen to be alergic to it). Good luck.

Dan
Old 02-23-17, 08:54 PM
WolfRyder

Bikes: Not that many, just getting started.

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Turmeric has a long history of use for its anti-inflammatory effects, in both Indian Ayurvedic medicine and Chinese TCM (Tradition Chinese Medicine). Indians cook with it alot and it may be used a little differently in TCM. I am thinking about experimenting with it a bit. By just buying the root and cooking Indian style with it. Anything that is natural, with an established history, and has anti-inflammatory effects in your body, might be worth checking out.
Old 02-23-17, 09:04 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
I'm with those who use it frequently in cooking, but can't say I noted any health benefits. But I am familiar with the long held beliefs in its therapeutic benefits and certainly figure it can't hurt. And it is an essential spice for its flavor.
Old 02-23-17, 09:06 PM
WolfRyder

Bikes: Not that many, just getting started.

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NealH
Nothing will give you a larger dose of vitamins and minerals than liver. .
I can't really argue with that, seriously, a piece of liver can almost bring you back from the freaking dead. Liver wins the nutritional pound for pound contest, hands down.

I am a wolf of course,(who incidentally doesn't always feel like howling at the moon) but If I ever was go fully Vegetarian,(it actually might happen, a vegetarian wolf..heh heh) I will monitor my Iron levels and supplement with fractinated beef liver(linked) and Vitamin B-12. If I was vegetarian and low, I would just supplement, meat based product or not.

Heme Iron Complex | Minerals | Integrative Therapeutics

Sorry not related to tumeric but good info about liver.

https://chriskresser.com/natures-most-potent-superfood/

Last edited by WolfRyder; 02-23-17 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-24-17, 02:45 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
BioPerine must be included in the capsules or freshly ground black pepper when taken raw to facilitate absorption. Turmeric is becoming a recommended spice to be included in the diet for men with prostate cancer.

Chicken liver contains more iron than beef liver but falls behind on total nutrients.
Old 02-24-17, 06:30 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
I make my own organic turmeric capsules and take two each day, 00 size. This, along with two capsules of organic black pepper. As OldT has noted, the black pepper aids the absorption of the turmeric and maximizes its efficiency. The consensus seems to be that turmeric should be taken on an empty stomach, so I do it first-thing in the morning.
It has helped with inflammation. It is reported to prevent and even stop cancer in it's progress.
It detoxifies the system by its active ingredient, curcumin. Ten thousand years of use, all over the world, is significant. Turmeric
Old 02-24-17, 07:12 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Would you share how you make your capsules?
Old 02-24-17, 12:59 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Would you share how you make your capsules?

Oh. Sure. Buy a bag of maybe 500 of size 00 clear capsules ($7.00) on Ebay. Put a quarter cup of the turmeric root powder on a saucer and take a capsule and pull it apart. Hold the larger side of the empty capsule in your non-dominant hand and lay it in the powder, along the ridge of the saucer.
Pack the powder into the larger side of the capsule with a butter knife. Set the filled half-capsule gently aside. Pick up the shorter side of the capsule and pack it, like-wise. Push the two halves carefully together, giving them a twist. Pop into a glass bottle.
Buying the capsules and the bulk herb (Frontier organic is the best) is a lot cheaper than buying the supplement already made. A pound of organic turmeric root will cost about $14.00 . That's a lot of capsules: Maybe a year supply. You can get a pound of conventionally-grown turmeric (less active ingredient) for about $8.00.
I turn on some music and make about 40 capsules at a time.
Old 02-24-17, 06:37 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,385 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Oh. Sure. Buy a bag of maybe 500 of size 00 clear capsules ($7.00) on Ebay. Put a quarter cup of the turmeric root powder on a saucer and take a capsule and pull it apart. Hold the larger side of the empty capsule in your non-dominant hand and lay it in the powder, along the ridge of the saucer.
Pack the powder into the larger side of the capsule with a butter knife. Set the filled half-capsule gently aside. Pick up the shorter side of the capsule and pack it, like-wise. Push the two halves carefully together, giving them a twist. Pop into a glass bottle.
Buying the capsules and the bulk herb (Frontier organic is the best) is a lot cheaper than buying the supplement already made. A pound of organic turmeric root will cost about $14.00 . That's a lot of capsules: Maybe a year supply. You can get a pound of conventionally-grown turmeric (less active ingredient) for about $8.00.
I turn on some music and make about 40 capsules at a time.
Or buy a cap machine. They're cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/Capsule-Holde...dp/B01JAIG9G6/
And don't forget:

"Eat the sun and you will be your own father."
Old 02-24-17, 07:16 PM
Tandem Tom

Thanks for the "recipe" for how to make them!
Old 02-25-17, 08:48 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Thanks for the "recipe" for how to make them!
No problem, Tand. You can buy capsules made from gelatin, or get ones that are made of hydroxypropyl methylcellulose. This is a synethetic derivative (esther) of plant cellulose, so I get the gelatin ones, figuring they are a little more natural. I look for ones that say non-GMO.

Shop | Attar Herbs & Spices
Old 02-25-17, 09:22 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Works great in my chili. Also imparts a nice yellow tint to EVERYTHING in the kitchen......
Old 02-26-17, 10:18 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
This is not about turmeric but may help someone. My BP was alarmingly high (155/95) so my MD put me on Correg, a beta blocker. Like most of us I knew the term beta blocker but had no idea how they work. My MD knows I cycle about 100 mi. a week. This was in cycling season. So, after I'm on the Correg for a while, I can't climb a hill or spin the pedals. Even worse, I have no energy, want to sleep all the time and am starting to feel depressed. (all while I continue to do 50 mi. rides suffering all the way) A woman who is a cyclist and a friend is also an ND. I tell her I'm on Correg and she says I should get off that stuff and start drinking 100% beet juice. I say something to the effect of "Fran, don't give me that new age, mumbo-jumbo stuff." She says, "Just give it a try." So, I do. Within a week my BP was down to 130/80. Has been good ever since. Did a little research and, sure enough, there's info all over the place that says this is the real deal. Apparently, a beta blocker is like a governor on your heart. Just won't let it pump. Beet juice OTOH dilates your arteries and reduces BP that way.
Old 02-26-17, 10:45 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
bruce19......I have used beet juice for quite some time before and during athletic events. yes, IMO it does indeed work.

After LBS ride yesterday, one younger super fit rider asks if I know Dr. X. This doctor is in pain management and the rider has bone spur issues along with other problems.

My response is, "Don't know him but very familiar with Dr. Turmeric, Dr. Cinnamon, Dr. Garlic, Dr. Cayenne......all who belong to the Nature's Spice Doctor Network. Mother Nature has been around a lot longer than Father Capsule.

1989Pre.....better to make sure the product being purchased is organic such as Frontier Natural Products Organic Turmeric Root Ground -- 1 lb - Vitacost
Old 03-05-17, 08:22 PM
bruised

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Sette Razzo Carbon 29er

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
... start drinking 100% beet juice..
Interesting. Do you juice your own? I've never seen beet juice and I presume if I did find it online it would have to be pasteurized?

I take Turmeric extract (curcumin 95%) in a capsule with Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM and bee propolis, and I swear by it. https://hivecentric.com/product/symb...joint-support/
Old 03-05-17, 11:48 PM
tinrobot
Spit out the back

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've been using turmeric since I started doing yoga many years ago. My teacher recommended it to help loosen my joints so I could be more flexible. It seemed to work, so I've kept it in my arsenal. I take capsules or put some in my smoothie.

When I tore my ACL last year, turmeric capsules really helped get the swelling and inflammation down.
Old 03-06-17, 02:11 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by bruised
Interesting. Do you juice your own? I've never seen beet juice and I presume if I did find it online it would have to be pasteurized?

I take Turmeric extract (curcumin 95%) in a capsule with Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM and bee propolis, and I swear by it. https://hivecentric.com/product/symb...joint-support/
I buy mine at a local food co-op. It's a brand called Biotta and it's 100% Beet juice. It comes in a bottle. I cut it with 100% cherry juice because beet juice is pretty sweet. You can also cut it with lemon juice or anything that's a bit tart. I'm pretty sure there''s another brand that is beet juice cut with lemon that is made by Knudsen Farms.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.