Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Show your Trek Multitrack!

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Show your Trek Multitrack!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-23, 12:01 AM
wstephenson
Coquetdale Pagans

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mixteup
BUT, do NOT use it on anything RED colored.

It will bleach out red paint, and turn it to a pink-ish color.
Thanks for popping up to share this with me. The current 750 frame is just black, but the next one is a dark purple 520, which presumably has some red pigments in it's makeup. I'll have to find a way to fill the tubes rather than immerse it.
Old 10-04-23, 12:16 PM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Picked up this barely-ridden 1996 730 yesterday for $130; seller even had the original purchase receipt (about $390 in '96) and owners manual. I feel a little silly at having spent half as much on transportation to pick up the bike, as I paid for the bike, but I got a nice train ride out of it. I swapped out the seat (did anyone really like those huge sprung seats?) and removed the kickstand of course, and I'll probably replace the stem for one that's longer horizontally and shorter vertically, but otherwise planning to keep it as is for now.

1996 Trek 730
Likes For nathand:
Old 10-04-23, 12:58 PM
wstephenson
Coquetdale Pagans

And to celebrate getting over the 10 post hurdle:
This is what 100€ buys in Bavaria these days; a mostly stock 1991 750 which the seller said "never needed anything doing to it except new tyres and brake pads". Uh-huh. Some lube and an occasional clean and wax over the last 30 years would have been nice. It's not too bad except for paint chips all over and a patch of advancing rust on one rear dropout. The Suntour XCE group is thrashed and both hubs are ready for the bin. Fortunately I didn't have to travel.

Restoration to follow.
Likes For wstephenson:
Old 10-05-23, 06:21 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by nathand
Picked up this barely-ridden 1996 730 yesterday for $130; seller even had the original purchase receipt (about $390 in '96) and owners manual. I feel a little silly at having spent half as much on transportation to pick up the bike, as I paid for the bike, but I got a nice train ride out of it. I swapped out the seat (did anyone really like those huge sprung seats?) and removed the kickstand of course, and I'll probably replace the stem for one that's longer horizontally and shorter vertically, but otherwise planning to keep it as is for now.

1996 Trek 730
Love the mid 90s two tone Treks. Check to make sure that your Alivio cranks were not part of a recall, yours look like FCMC12. Shimano is still giving replacements for these.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 10-05-23, 10:38 AM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Love the mid 90s two tone Treks. Check to make sure that your Alivio cranks were not part of a recall, yours look like FCMC12. Shimano is still giving replacements for these.
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think this crank is part of the recall, I don't see a matching model number (nor, weirdly, any model number) on it. Here's a photo:
Old 10-05-23, 02:13 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I think that Alivio crankset is an FC-MC14, which I don't think is recalled.
Old 10-06-23, 08:53 AM
mixteup

Bikes: A Few

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 27 Posts
I know it's not a MultiTrack, but here's a photo of my 930, right after I got it - It's currently in the resto-queue.
I also absolutely love this purple / green fade paint job - I know Trek and Specialized used it - A Stumpjumper with this paint is my Grail Bike !
Back to your regular programming, now .......
Likes For mixteup:
Old 10-06-23, 02:08 PM
wstephenson
Coquetdale Pagans

In fantasy novels by Jack Vance, purple and green are the defining colours of magic. And as a teenage Vance nerd in 1993, I made it my mission to trick my bike out in as much purple and green anodised stuff as possible. Good choice!
Likes For wstephenson:
Old 10-10-23, 09:52 AM
RJfos

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, 1990 Trek 750 Multi-Track

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by wstephenson
I've just acquired a considerably worn 1991 750 in that year's Black with White on Yellow and Silver colourway. It is basically stock except for saddle, tyres, brake blocks and rust. What's the opinion on the stock Suntour XCE drivetrain? 7 speed, screw-on freewheel, OG Rapidfire-like shifter pods which are extremely mushy and slow to shift right now, but do shift. Is it worth servicing and saving? There are mixed messages out there as to how well a set of Shimano shifters would work with the Suntour XCE derailleurs. Has anyone else tried this?
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I picked up a 1990 750 MultiTrack about 6 months back. The bike was in very good, almost unused, condition. It came with original Suntour XCM 7 speed drivetrain, which appears to be nearly identical to the XCE drivetrain on your bike. A previous owner had broken both of the accushift plus shifters and had recently replaced the original Suntour freewheel with a new Shimano 7 speed freewheel. I set the bike up with a drop bar, since I was planning to use the bike for light touring. I installed Microshift 3x7 drop bar shifters but I was never able to get them to mesh with Suntour derailleurs. I'm not sure if it was the spacing of the sprockets on the freewheel or the cable pull on the derailleurs but I just couldn't get them to work. So, I picked up Shimano Acera (rear) and Altus (front) derailleurs and was able to get them to work perfectly within a matter of minutes. I'll take that back a little. The front derailleur is still a little bit touchy, but it works well enough and I don't do a lot of shifting up front anyways. It could also be because I still have the XCM crank up front. Anyway, I actually really like how the bike rides. I just recently completed the 400 mile Erie Canal Trail from Buffalo to Albany w/o any problems.
Likes For RJfos:
Old 10-11-23, 10:05 AM
daywood 

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by RJfos
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I picked up a 1990 750 MultiTrack about 6 months back. The bike was in very good, almost unused, condition. It came with original Suntour XCM 7 speed drivetrain, which appears to be nearly identical to the XCE drivetrain on your bike. A previous owner had broken both of the accushift plus shifters and had recently replaced the original Suntour freewheel with a new Shimano 7 speed freewheel. I set the bike up with a drop bar, since I was planning to use the bike for light touring. I installed Microshift 3x7 drop bar shifters but I was never able to get them to mesh with Suntour derailleurs. I'm not sure if it was the spacing of the sprockets on the freewheel or the cable pull on the derailleurs but I just couldn't get them to work. So, I picked up Shimano Acera (rear) and Altus (front) derailleurs and was able to get them to work perfectly within a matter of minutes. I'll take that back a little. The front derailleur is still a little bit touchy, but it works well enough and I don't do a lot of shifting up front anyways. It could also be because I still have the XCM crank up front. Anyway, I actually really like how the bike rides. I just recently completed the 400 mile Erie Canal Trail from Buffalo to Albany w/o any problems.
Congrats on your acquisition and upgrades, and welcome to the forums! Hurry and get to ten posts so you can share pictures of your bike and your ride. I’m really interested in that trail and would love to see how it went for you. I was on a section of the Empire State Trail near New Paltz earlier this year and loved it.

I really like the MicroSHIFTs I’ve installed, too. I find it funny that front derailleurs seem like they should be so much easier to set up and are often so much more fussy. This may not be it, but if what you’re experiencing is chain rub at the lowest or highest gear positions, I’ve had some luck going with a size narrower chain to get just a bit more clearance. So if i’m currently using a 6/7/8 speed chain, I’ll try a 9 speed. As much as I like feel of the MicroSHIFTs, I don’t think it’s as easy to dress the front derailleur position slightly with light taps at the shift lever as it is on the Shimano levers I have.

I’m not keen on shifting rear derailleurs with non-indexed shifters, but I have to admit the front one can be a lot easier to live with that way.
Old 10-16-23, 09:05 AM
RJfos

I'll post pictures of the bike as soon as meet the post quota and give a review of the Erie Canal Trail.
Likes For RJfos:
Old 10-20-23, 02:46 PM
Ranger Mac

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
great thread, just picked up a minty 730 this week.
Likes For Ranger Mac:
Old 10-23-23, 11:16 AM
Ranger Mac

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Got this 730. It may not be super vintage but it is near mint. The protective stickers are still on the head tube. Looks to have almost never been used.
Likes For Ranger Mac:
Old 10-31-23, 01:00 PM
nathand

Anyone have recommendations on a simple but sturdy front rack/basket that fits well on a Multitrack? Looking for something to hold a backpack or a grocery bag.
Old 10-31-23, 01:49 PM
ATL720

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nathand
Anyone have recommendations on a simple but sturdy front rack/basket that fits well on a Multitrack? Looking for something to hold a backpack or a grocery bag.
Wald basket with the adjustable hardware fits great on mine.
https://www.amazon.com/Wald-1372-Fro...07WKO6QA&psc=1
Old 11-02-23, 08:36 PM
Leebob69

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 3.0, Trek 700 MultiTrack,Specialized Alibi,Benotto ?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 51 Posts
Picked up a Trek 700 MultiTrack today. Saw it on Craig's List and it was only 5 minutes from the house. Once I saw it I couldn't resist. The $75 price didn't hurt either. This is my first Trek and So far I'm liking it. Owner said he bought it new in the 90's. Not sure how to confirm that but have no reason to doubt him. The ad said 26" wheels. NOPE 700c's SWEET.
Here it is still in the truck when I returned home

And here it is cleaned. Chain cleaned and lubed. Not sure if the seat and bars are adjusted in this pic

Needs almost nothing. Rear brakes hardly did anything but CoolStops had been installed, Adjusted and working now. My first bike with twist shifters so getting used to that. Bike is very comfortable and ready for some miles. But I'll stay near home for a few rides. See how it goes.
Likes For Leebob69:
Old 11-03-23, 06:52 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Originally Posted by Leebob69
Picked up a Trek 700 MultiTrack today. Owner said he bought it new in the 90's. Not sure how to confirm that but have no reason to doubt him.
100GS components were produced in 90,91, and 92, so that would narrow down the range.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 11-03-23, 07:13 AM
Leebob69

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 3.0, Trek 700 MultiTrack,Specialized Alibi,Benotto ?

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
100GS components were produced in 90,91, and 92, so that would narrow down the range.
Thank you. That matches what I was able to find on Vintage-Trek.com. Seems this color was called Sour Grape with red decals-1992

Lee
Old 11-03-23, 11:57 AM
RJfos

Originally Posted by Leebob69
Thank you. That matches what I was able to find on Vintage-Trek.com. Seems this color was called Sour Grape with red decals-1992

Lee
Yeah, I’d say 1992. Appears to be the only year they produced the Sour Grape color. Nice find, especially for the price & condition. Appears to be all original except for the tires. Enjoy.
Likes For RJfos:
Old 11-03-23, 01:00 PM
Leebob69

Originally Posted by RJfos
Yeah, I’d say 1992. Appears to be the only year they produced the Sour Grape color. Nice find, especially for the price & condition. Appears to be all original except for the tires. Enjoy.
Thank you. I'm going out again shortly to pull the rear brake off and clean the pivot posts. Then grease and reassemble. I see it has a small screw to adjust the spring to help center the brake. I had to adjust the pads a bit wider than I would like because it's not centered now.
The seat had me wondering. I think someone put a new cover on it. It now has staples on the underside. Says Trek on it though

Have a great weekend!
Old 11-06-23, 10:51 PM
Leebob69

Continuing saga of my newly acquired MultiTrack. Brakes are fixed. So I ordered some inexpensive shimano shifters. Shifter for the rear is indexed but has a push button for going up and a trigger for down.
Front derailleur shifter is friction with clicks. Install of the shifters was fairly easy. Removal of the GripShifters too. The brake levers not so much. Shimano 100GS tighten to the bar through the front like a drop bar. I had to disconnect the brakes to get enough room to get a screwdriver in there. Of course I had to do it twice because I didn't like the angle of the levers on the first try. Here are 3 pics

Likes For Leebob69:
Old 11-09-23, 06:11 AM
wstephenson
Coquetdale Pagans

I couldn't help myself when I saw this 'lightly used' 1996 750 in my size pop up. It really had been babied. I put the 1991 frame I've been restoring on the back burner and built it up with a spare 5700 105 group, so that I have a winter gravel bike to ride.

Having both a lugged and a TIG welded 750 frame unbuilt in the same size (21") presented an interesting opportunity, so I got out the digital scales and proceeded to test the 'TIG welded frames are lighter' assertion. Scroll down for the results!

Likes For wstephenson:
Old 11-09-23, 07:56 AM
DorkDisk

Originally Posted by wstephenson
I couldn't help myself when I saw this 'lightly used' 1996 750 in my size pop up. It really had been babied. I put the 1991 frame I've been restoring on the back burner and built it up with a spare 5700 105 group, so that I have a winter gravel bike to ride.

Having both a lugged and a TIG welded 750 frame unbuilt in the same size (21") presented an interesting opportunity, so I got out the digital scales and proceeded to test the 'TIG welded frames are lighter' assertion. Scroll down for the results!

Thanks for the data; that's interesting. FWIW my 21" 94 750 (TIG) came in at pretty much 4lbs 15oz (2239.61g). 94 was the first year for TIG frames, and it is a hair lighter than the lugged.

Last edited by DorkDisk; 11-13-23 at 07:44 AM.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 11-12-23, 08:20 PM
jpbiking

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Beautiful 750 builds. I'm surprised that the lugged is lighter but glad to see it as my 790/750/970/520 are all the lugged variety.

Any noticeable differences between the lugged and tig 750s in terms of measurements?

It would be interesting if you did identical builds with the two frames and tested ride qualities back to back, but that can be tricky/expensive. I have a 750 and 790 that are pretty much identical frames/forks but with different builds and they shine a light on how much the frame/fork do and do not impact the final ride and handling of a bike.
Old 11-13-23, 10:24 AM
07morrison

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
First post. I just picked up a mechanically sound 1997 750 MT (19") yesterday. Plan to add fenders, shorter stem, wider bars and wear out stock drivetrain.
Likes For 07morrison:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.