Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Carbon from the 90's... Trek MultiTrack 7900

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Carbon from the 90's... Trek MultiTrack 7900

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-23, 01:34 PM
AveCaesarAve

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Titus Roadrunner, Trek Checkpoint, Trek Multitrack 7900s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Talking Carbon from the 90's... Trek MultiTrack 7900

After going through "Show your Trek Multitrack!" thread I was sure I wanted one - a 700c Multitrack from the 90's. The timing was also right, as because of spine injury I couldn't use my road bike to commute to work anymore. Hence the search has began... and did not take longer than half an hour. Six hours earlier, about a 100 miles from my home a very nice gentlemen has put up an ad for a bike, titling it "Old green bicycle from shed". The following weekend, after a short talk and without 150€ in hand anymore I was driving home with the most gorgeous piece of carbon and steel combined together I have ever seen:

It is an 1996 Trek Multitrack 7900 - top of the line model from that year. It is in a very nice condition - nearly all stock. The exceptions are definitely the saddle (Specialized from the 90's era) and the grips (Schwinn). Also the shifters are not the grip shift type, but Shimano XT shifter and brake levers. This change was made still at the shop when it was bought. The cranks seem to be also different, black Shimano LX, while the original was chrome, but I will definitely not cry about it.

It features also old Bontrager tires and squeaky as hell Shimano LX brakes. These as I have read so far will not be possible to reuse, as Shimano has stopped manufacturing the pad inserts for them. And not to forget the BombProof boosters:

Now is the time for cleaning and servicing this beauty, so it can shine like it should.
Likes For AveCaesarAve:
Old 11-11-23, 03:23 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by AveCaesarAve
It features also old Bontrager tires and squeaky as hell Shimano LX brakes. These as I have read so far will not be possible to reuse, as Shimano has stopped manufacturing the pad inserts for them. And not to forget the BombProof boosters:

Now is the time for cleaning and servicing this beauty, so it can shine like it should.

That's a great score IMO, all the parts are in great condition also. You can still get inserts for the pads from Koolstop.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 11-18-23, 01:18 PM
AveCaesarAve

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Titus Roadrunner, Trek Checkpoint, Trek Multitrack 7900s

A week later, all the service is done...

All shifting and brake lines, cables exchanged.

The Schwalbe G-One Allround tires with tan sides and Selle San Marco Aspide saddle make a great difference for the overall looks of the bike. Suddenly it looks like a modern gravel bike with a straight bar and not a 90's daddy's bike Additionally I have exchanged the Schwinn bar ends with a more modern, black and ergonomic set.

Jagwire brake pads in - I investigated the Koolstop option, but their availability in Europe is scarce, and in the future it may be a problem again to get a replacement set. So I opted for a completely new set with integrated brake shoes.

It rides exactly as it looks - it is fast, light, gains speed like crazy and brakes good as well. I do not think the boosters have any justification is such a bike with such use. The frame colour is simply gorgeous - it looks black from afar, and when hit with sunlight the dark green and carbon combination makes you want to say "wow". Very happy with this one!
Likes For AveCaesarAve:
Old 11-18-23, 02:15 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Looking good! Check that stem for safe insertion, though.

If the brakes work well but are noisy, you can try sanding the braking surface with 100-200 grit sandpaper to see if you can remove some glazing.

These pads should work for replacements if/when necessary:
https://koolstop.com/products/shiman...eplacement-pad
Old 11-19-23, 11:28 AM
AveCaesarAve

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Looking good! Check that stem for safe insertion, though.

If the brakes work well but are noisy, you can try sanding the braking surface with 100-200 grit sandpaper to see if you can remove some glazing.

These pads should work for replacements if/when necessary:
https://koolstop.com/products/shiman...eplacement-pad
The stem was ridiculously high when I got it and I lowered it as well by a good inch, just to adjust the riding position. When doing it I checked how long the shaft going into the head tube is, and there is really sufficient reserve for both cases.

I think I will stick with the Jagwire pads for now and see how they go, for now the stopping power is perfectly enough for non-sporty, city riding.
Old 11-20-23, 07:04 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I have a set or two of the threaded post Jagwire pads, as often used with linear pull brakes, and I find them to be plenty powerful and quiet. I have no complaints and I reckon those smooth post pads you have will perform well for you.
Old 11-22-23, 07:30 AM
AveCaesarAve

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I have a set or two of the threaded post Jagwire pads, as often used with linear pull brakes, and I find them to be plenty powerful and quiet. I have no complaints and I reckon those smooth post pads you have will perform well for you.
I can say after nearly two weeks of use that in combination with the LX arms they are as strong as V-brakes, just the modulation is not there. But this is not essential in case of a commuter bike. As long as they have enough stopping power to decelerate me when going too fast from any local descent, I will be satisfied.
Old 01-22-24, 04:25 PM
datenschwanz
littering and...

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts