Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

No longer an E bike snob

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

No longer an E bike snob

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-23, 10:18 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
No longer an E bike snob

My history with Ebikes is high range FS emtb with Bosch motors. I wanted a good bike for mtn trails. Rocky ascents and gnarly descents.
I always looked at hub drive bikes as cheap chinese alternatives. I rented one once on vacation and it was a novelty that I would never take off road.
Then I had a friend come to visit for a while. As I could not take time off work, my bikes are too big for her and I live in a hilly area, I bought a cheap hub drive city bike for her to use. The bike had no name components, the brakes were shoddy, but you get what you pay for. I tuned the bike up and I did a short test ride. All worked fine, the motor was not very responsive but it worked. In the end, she used the bike once and now I have a new bike sitting there.
The other day I needed to go to the next town and thought; why not?
After getting used to the controls, the late response and the brake disengage, I was actually impressed and took the long way home. 10 kms and the battery was still at 100% (if reliable). As I don't like using a target rich emtb to run errands, I may use it as a commuter now, with some component substitutions.
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 10-20-23, 06:21 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 453 Posts
There are good reasons why delivery folks on ebikes mostly use cheap, hub-motor ebikes.
In NYC metro, there are tens of thousands of them that are abused 24/7, in all weather; yet people are still using them year after year.
For majority of cycling population, a cheap, hub-motor ebike is all needed for 95% of the usage.
IMO, mid-drive ebikes are similar to SUVs on the road, most of them don't operate in any serious off-roading.
Likes For cat0020:
Old 10-20-23, 09:10 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
Marcus, my first "e" was a DIY front hubbie (as some say) used for errands,and I had a great time with it. Then I learned that it was pretty capable off road too. Alas, my daughter wanted an "e" cruiser, and the system was used for her bike.
Likes For 2old:
Old 10-20-23, 09:12 AM
2old

This is what it looked like at Burning Man this year:
Likes For 2old:
Old 10-20-23, 09:57 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2242 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
One thing I learned when I did a conversion was that 100% indicator is accurate (if at all) only when you have the correct voltage programmed into the hardware.
Old 10-23-23, 11:33 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
Congrats on being open-minded. So many people these days aren't.

I've never tried a mid-drive or eMtB, but would like to at some point. I can see how the superior balance of a mid drive would be required on a bike that will be airborne at times. I also like the idea of the motor using the bike's gearing; seems like it would climb ANY hill with ease.
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 12-31-23, 01:07 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 453 Posts
Cool

Not I consider a ebike snob. Most if not ALL of the ebikes I own are under $2K
I recently received a refund from AliEx, along with rebates & holiday special pricing, I bought a $349 e-bike for free.

To my surprise, it was a decent ebike, no thrill, just plain, basic ebike.
350w motor, 3-level pedal assist, 36V 7.8Ah battery, no throttle, 6-speed, just plain joy of cycling.
Old 12-31-23, 01:39 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
Not I consider a ebike snob. Most if not ALL of the ebikes I own are under $2K
I recently received a refund from AliEx, along with rebates & holiday special pricing, I bought a $349 e-bike for free.

To my surprise, it was a decent ebike, no thrill, just plain, basic ebike.
350w motor, 3-level pedal assist, 36V 7.8Ah battery, no throttle, 6-speed, just plain joy of cycling.
Now that's an interesting tire choice.
Old 01-02-24, 12:13 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Wife and I have respective RAD City models which are hub driven bikes. First one bought in 2019 and still working like a charm. Second bought several months after first and still working like a charm also. Our RAD bikes are well thought out designs with very reliable components. Both bikes are up around 4000 miles now with no failures and batteries still working like new. We ride about equal amounts of on and off road with these bikes. No jumping gravel road riding is what we do. We did add Kinekt suspension seatposts to both bikes which we highly recommend. These seatposts take all the jarring of gravel road riding and leave you with a nice smooth ride. Best suspension seatposts I've owned yet.
Likes For tallbikeman:
Old 01-03-24, 08:41 AM
2old

I think those early "Rads" had direct drive motors, and if so could last indefinitely (some individuals on endless sphere report 25,000+ miles). Here's a yard-find from a company that's been out of business for 10+ years. I cleaned up the wiring (not shown in the picture) and replaced the on/off switch and it runs perfectly.
Likes For 2old: