Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shifters for a 21 speed

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shifters for a 21 speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-24, 05:25 PM
beauknowsdiddly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Shifters for a 21 speed

Hey everyone!
I need help figuring out what shifters to get. I have an old Denali 7005 21 speed road bike with the twist shifters which need replacing. Shimano Revo 3x7. I would prefer to keep the twist kind so I ordered these cheap ones, "MEGHNA Bicycle 21 Speed Shifter Twist Shifter Lever 3 x 7 Speed Grip Shift* from amazon
and no way will they fit around my drop handlebars. The original ones were quite the pain to get off. Can you recommend any twist ones that will work? What should I get?

Thank you, thank you!
Beau
Old 01-03-24, 06:12 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Twist shifters on drop handlebars? That's new to me. You might strike out on that one. Fortunately, there are other shifters that would at least work. If you don't get an answer here, try your local bike shop - they have suppliers and could probably look that up for you to see what's available.
Old 01-03-24, 06:18 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Some of those Denalis had split handlebars so you could undo the stem and then remove the shifters that way.

Although the original Gripshifts in the early '90s were made for road bars, the vast majority are made for MTB bars which have a skinnier bar. Not sure what the shifters that came on the Denalis were like.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 01-03-24, 06:34 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Those shifters are for very old bikes or maybe some kids bikes. 22.8mm (7/8 in) - your bars are probably 1inch and maybe 1.25 inch where they meet the stem.

Saw an Amazon ad that said “will fit most bikes”. Absolute BS.

edit: although this site claims the Revoshift shifters are also for 7/8in bars. Interesting.

Shimano don’t specify. Have you measured your bars?

Last edited by choddo; 01-03-24 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-03-24, 07:24 PM
beauknowsdiddly

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Some of those Denalis had split handlebars so you could undo the stem and then remove the shifters that way.

Although the original Gripshifts in the early '90s were made for road bars, the vast majority are made for MTB bars which have a skinnier bar. Not sure what the shifters that came on the Denalis were like.
Holy crap! I believe they ARE split bars. Let me see if I can figure out how to get them apart! Thank you! I'll let you know
Likes For beauknowsdiddly:
Old 01-03-24, 07:25 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
This should be the ticket. Any Denalis I’ve seen with grip shifters have the split handlebar, bolted together through the sleeve at the stem clamp.
Old 01-03-24, 07:33 PM
bboy314

Originally Posted by choddo
Those shifters are for very old bikes or maybe some kids bikes. 22.8mm (7/8 in) - your bars are probably 1inch and maybe 1.25 inch where they meet the stem.

Saw an Amazon ad that said “will fit most bikes”. Absolute BS.

edit: although this site claims the Revoshift shifters are also for 7/8in bars. Interesting.

Shimano don’t specify. Have you measured your bars?
22.2mm, or 7/8”, is the diameter that the vast majority of grip shifters fit, as well as other non-drop handlebar controls. The Denali is an outlier, using 22.2mm shifters on a drop bar, hence the split in the middle of the bar.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 01-03-24, 07:55 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by beauknowsdiddly
What should I get?
Microshift Mezzo thumbshifters $15
Might need to use a wrap of old tube as a shim.
Old 01-03-24, 09:48 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
Twist shifters on drop handlebars? That's new to me. You might strike out on that one. Fortunately, there are other shifters that would at least work. If you don't get an answer here, try your local bike shop - they have suppliers and could probably look that up for you to see what's available.
​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...drop-bars.html
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-04-24, 03:32 AM
choddo

Originally Posted by bboy314
22.2mm, or 7/8”, is the diameter that the vast majority of grip shifters fit, as well as other non-drop handlebar controls. The Denali is an outlier, using 22.2mm shifters on a drop bar, hence the split in the middle of the bar.
Thanks. So are most MTB bars 22.2 at the ends? I’ve replaced grip shifters once with thumb shifters and they were the same diameter clamp. It was a while back and I don’t remember checking the bar diameter.
Old 01-04-24, 08:05 AM
bboy314

Originally Posted by choddo
Thanks. So are most MTB bars 22.2 at the ends? I’ve replaced grip shifters once with thumb shifters and they were the same diameter clamp. It was a while back and I don’t remember checking the bar diameter.
Yes, 22.2 is pretty much the standard grip diameter for MTB bars. Really most handlebars other than drop and a few mustache bars.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 01-04-24, 09:22 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
I would have thought there would be more of a weight difference between a Denali and a Denali...
Old 01-04-24, 11:27 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
I would have thought there would be more of a weight difference between a Denali and a Denali...
Same here, but the road bike Denalis are only a few pounds heavier than the MTB Denalis

Old 01-04-24, 07:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
I mean if you can split the bars go for it otherwise I would avoid putting much money towards that bike. It is made from old boat anchors and hope.
Old 01-05-24, 12:29 AM
beauknowsdiddly

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I mean if you can split the bars go for it otherwise I would avoid putting much money towards that bike. It is made from old boat anchors and hope.
LOL I've had the thing for so long it's kinda grown on me.
Old 01-05-24, 12:39 AM
beauknowsdiddly

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
​​​​​​Grip shifter end of drop bars
I like that idea! The new ones I got are crappy pieces of plastic! I hate them. I'll be doing something different for sure. $88 bucks for the end ones though.... and could I use a 3x9 shifter on a 3x7 bike? A little expensive but that might just be the route to go. The bars do split. I got them apart and they slid on just fine. I wish I knew about the split bars before I attempted to take the left shifter off. I got it off only in about 20 pieces LOL. Live and learn! I'm probably going to end up replacing both derailleurs as well as the back wheel. So now I have to figure out what to get there as well. Thank you everyone for your help! You guys are awesome!

Last edited by beauknowsdiddly; 01-05-24 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-05-24, 04:05 AM
choddo

That’s still considerably less than a pair of STI brifters which are de rigeur on drop bars.

Two other options which I think are worth considering:
bar end friction shifters. More elegant than gripshifts and without the indexing hassle.

in-bar thumb shifters. I just much prefer these on flat bars to gripshifts.
Old 01-05-24, 02:04 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
If you otherwised liked the original Revoshift shifters, then I'd order up a new pair of them. Your original ones were probably SL-RS25 or SL-RS35...which are on the lower end of the Revoshift line. I recommend the SL-RS45 or SL-RS47...whatever you can find easily. These, with the silver bodies, have a much nicer shift feel than the lower grade ones. Pulling cable feels about the same between the two, but letting cable out is much nicer on the higher grade ones. The low grade ones just have a harsh snap-snap-snap feel, but the higher grade ones have some sort of clutch or slip mechanism inside to where you apply twist force and the cable is released somewhat slowly to where it's not just a snap/bang. It's not a 1:1 movement.

Hard to describe, but easy to appreciate, if you've felt the difference between the two.
Old 01-05-24, 09:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
LOL I've had the thing for so long it's kinda grown on me.
If stuff is growing on you I highly recommend a shower and cleaning the bike as well. Bikes shouldn't have anything growing out of them or from them. All around bad show.

People do silly things with their Denalis but don't put a bunch into it trust me even if you have had it a while there are so many bikes to be had that you will soon forget about that one.
Old 01-06-24, 04:35 AM
beauknowsdiddly

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Your original ones were probably SL-RS25 or SL-RS35...which are on the lower end of the Revoshift line. I recommend the SL-RS45 or SL-RS47...whatever you can find easily..
Hey, thank you hokiefyd. The specs just say the originals were " Revo SIS" I'm sure there's more to it than just REVO SIS, but I went ahead and ordered the SL-RS45's. Couldn't find an SL-RS47.

Thanks again!
Likes For beauknowsdiddly:
Old 01-06-24, 01:11 PM
hokiefyd 

It looks like the SL-RS47 might be 3x8 only...so you did good with the 45s. I hope you like them!
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 01-07-24, 02:43 AM
beauknowsdiddly

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It looks like the SL-RS47 might be 3x8 only...so you did good with the 45s. I hope you like them!
So now I'm slightly confused. (not hard to do btw) But you left me a picture/link to the RS41's and I ordered the RS45's. Which ones are better?
Old 01-07-24, 03:12 AM
choddo

No there seems to be a 7 speed version of that but I’m sure he’s fine with the 45 since he couldn’t find a 47 anyway.
Likes For choddo:
Old 01-07-24, 08:59 AM
hokiefyd 

So now I'm slightly confused. (not hard to do btw) But you left me a picture/link to the RS41's and I ordered the RS45's. Which ones are better?
There is a lot of variation in the Shimano Revoshift line. The RS41s also have a silver body, and I think they share the more premium feeling "overrunning action" of the RS45s and RS47s. The RS41s have a slightly different gear display type. Functionally, as long as you buy the model with the number of speeds that matches your crankset and cassette or freewheel, they all should work about the same. In general, the higher the number in Shimano's nomenclature, the more premium the product, at least relative to its peers.

If you ordered the RS45 in 3x7 format, it should work on your bike...and I think you'll be happy with how they work and feel, especially compared with the Revoshift model that probably came on the bike (which is probably an RS25 or RS35).
Old 01-07-24, 11:03 AM
beauknowsdiddly

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
There is a lot of variation in the Shimano Revoshift line. The RS41s also have a silver body, and I think they share the more premium feeling "overrunning action" of the RS45s and RS47s. The RS41s have a slightly different gear display type. Functionally, as long as you buy the model with the number of speeds that matches your crankset and cassette or freewheel, they all should work about the same. In general, the higher the number in Shimano's nomenclature, the more premium the product, at least relative to its peers.

If you ordered the RS45 in 3x7 format, it should work on your bike...and I think you'll be happy with how they work and feel, especially compared with the Revoshift model that probably came on the bike (which is probably an RS25 or RS35).
Yeah I put these on and what a piece of plastic crap they are! (I cant' post links to show you yet) but they are the "MEGHNA Bicycle 21 Speed Shifter Twist Shifter Lever 3 x 7 Speed Grip Shift Left and Right Shifter" I got from Amazon. Thanks again! I'm sure those will be much better!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.