Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tires for unhooked Paramount rims????

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-24, 06:54 PM
imabeliever1

Bikes: Bicycles, Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 47 Posts

Traded for a 66 Paramount. Great bike that I’ll be going thru this winter.
My only concern are the straight walled rims.
I’m considering the Panaracer Pasela tires. I ran these on another bike with hooked rims and they rode well.
So, if you have personal experience running Panaracer’s on straight sided rims, would like to hear your experience.

thanks
Likes For imabeliever1:
Old 01-07-24, 07:38 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
I mounted some 1" Pasales on 27" hookless rims, but had I to do it again, I'd go wider to 1 1/8", so I could run them at lower pressure and feel a little more safe at speed in the turns.

Wire bead might be better here.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-07-24, 08:00 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
I have 27 x 1 1/4 wire-bead Paselas on several bikes with straight-sided rims. Pump them up to 70 psi. Have done the same with Continental Super and Ultra Sport tires. No problems and a nice ride. Narrower tires may need more pressure than is prudent with straight-sided rims. I don't think I'd try foldable tires with those rims either.
Likes For daka:
Old 01-07-24, 09:14 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by imabeliever1
Traded for a 66 Paramount. Great bike that I’ll be going thru this winter.
My only concern are the straight walled rims.
I’m considering the Panaracer Pasela tires. I ran these on another bike with hooked rims and they rode well.
So, if you have personal experience running Panaracer’s on straight sided rims, would like to hear your experience.

thanks
Pics or it didn't happen.

You can't just tease us like that, when you say "66 Paramount", you have many here's undivided attention, especially mine.

I have a possible 30's but likely 40's, 2-3 50's, several 70's but no 60's yet, one of the 50's is a 59 and it has the hallmarks like the 58 so......

No 60's yet and not for lack of trying.
Likes For merziac:
Old 01-07-24, 10:55 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
As I recall 70psi is about as high as you want to go with a good quality tire on a hookless rim. They will blow off if too much pressure is used. When the hooked rims came out in the 70's or so I traded over to them and you could then run 100+psi. Owned a 71 Schwinn Paramount racing model, bought it new. Great bicycle.
Likes For tallbikeman:
Old 01-08-24, 03:33 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by daka
I have 27 x 1 1/4 wire-bead Paselas on several bikes with straight-sided rims. Pump them up to 70 psi. Have done the same with Continental Super and Ultra Sport tires. No problems and a nice ride. Narrower tires may need more pressure than is prudent with straight-sided rims. I don't think I'd try foldable tires with those rims either.
Many people seem to believe that Kevlar-beaded tires are more prone to blowing off rims than wired-bead tires, but I don't remember that being the case when I worked in bike stores. When our mechanics complained to a sales rep that a particular tire model was impossible to mount without using tools (he argued that they were wrong and then tried and failed to install the tire himself), it was a Kevlar-beaded tire. The same tire with a wire bead installed with little effort.
Old 01-08-24, 06:40 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 872 Times in 418 Posts
I've got Araya 27x1 1/4 W/O hookless rims on a 78 Schwinn and a 83 Schwinn. I run the Panaracer Pasela 27x 1 1/8 wire bead tires on both of them without any issues. I've used the 27x 1 1/4 Panaracer Pasela wire bead on another 1x1 1/4 rim bike and not been happy with the fit, it was more difficult to get seated straight.
On my hookless rim bikes I will initially inflate to 70psi and leave them that way for a while. Going to 80psi has not been any problem after they have been mounted a few weeks.
The biggest complaint i've heard about the Panaracer Pasela is that it is slow. It is a nice cruiser tire.
Old 01-08-24, 07:30 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,604 Times in 1,765 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Many people seem to believe that Kevlar-beaded tires are more prone to blowing off rims than wired-bead tires, but I don't remember that being the case when I worked in bike stores. When our mechanics complained to a sales rep that a particular tire model was impossible to mount without using tools (he argued that they were wrong and then tried and failed to install the tire himself), it was a Kevlar-beaded tire. The same tire with a wire bead installed with little effort.
In my limited experience those kevlar(?) beads used in folding tires stretch more than the steel ones used in classic wired-ons. Which adds a certain logic to them being very hard to wrestle onto the rim the first time. After some use they are often easy to remove and reinstall without any tools. I would not use them om hookless rims for anything else than display purposes. YMMV.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 01-08-24, 07:44 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Originally Posted by non-fixie
In my limited experience those kevlar(?) beads used in folding tires stretch more than the steel ones used in classic wired-ons. Which adds a certain logic to them being very hard to wrestle onto the rim the first time. After some use they are often easy to remove and reinstall without any tools. I would not use them om hookless rims for anything else than display purposes. YMMV.
My experience running folding tires with rims without hooks has not been good. Running a wire rim 27 x 1 and 1/4 tire at 70 PSI works well with those rims. I agree with non-fixie , but perhaps others have a different experience with folding tires and hookless rims.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 01-08-24, 08:25 AM
Sierra
Uff Da!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 90 Posts
Another vote for the Pasela on the Weinmann rims.
I've been using them on my '71 P15 with no problems.
I initially used the 1 1/4 but changed to 1 1/8.
They may be slow, but at my age so am I, so no worries there.

Likes For Sierra:
Old 01-08-24, 09:10 AM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
The Michelin 27" tires are really nice, have not seen those in awhile though. We had Serfas tires at one shop, they look terrible but always fit great. Just avoid the Kenda stuff and you're probably fine.
Old 01-08-24, 09:53 AM
imabeliever1

Pics

Originally Posted by merziac
Pics or it didn't happen.

You can't just tease us like that, when you say "66 Paramount", you have many here's undivided attention, especially mine.

I have a possible 30's but likely 40's, 2-3 50's, several 70's but no 60's yet, one of the 50's is a 59 and it has the hallmarks like the 58 so......

No 60's yet and not for lack of trying.

Likes For imabeliever1:
Old 01-08-24, 10:50 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
I run 32mm wide, wire bead Paselas on hookless Weinmann rims on one of my bikes. Keep the pressure below ~80psi and you should be fine.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 01-08-24, 04:39 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Fantastic, Tx!

And chrome no less.
Old 01-08-24, 05:18 PM
merziac

I have a 75-6 Paramount with original hookless rims that came to me with old Schwalbe's on it, they were/are old and wouldn't hold on over 40 psi, I just made due with them and it was ok.
Old 01-09-24, 11:27 AM
oldukbkr 

Bikes: '59 Rory O'Brien, 49/72 Holdsworth Trike, '66 Bates BAR, '74 Bob Jackson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
I don't have advice re brands but at the bike co-op where I volunteer the older mechanics like to say "55 to stay alive" when inflating tires on rims with no bead hook. I see others on here have managed fine with 70-80psi on their own bikes. We're probably a bit more cautious because we're working with someone else's bike. But to me 70-80 sounds a bit over enthusiastic.
Likes For oldukbkr:
Old 01-09-24, 11:44 AM
Chain smoker

Bikes: 07 Raleigh supercourse, 04 Specialized epic MB, Surly 1x1, Recycled Recumbents Mach 2, 63 jc Higgins racer single speed, early 60’s Armstrong roadster, KHS tandem electric conversion, GT mb electric city bike conversion.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wesmamyke
The Michelin 27" tires are really nice, have not seen those in awhile though. We had Serfas tires at one shop, they look terrible but always fit great. Just avoid the Kenda stuff and you're probably fine.
Kenda tires work fine for my 27 inch hookless rims. 70 psi max but usually 60 to 65 psi. Currently running some $6 no name tires I ordered from England in 2019. Wire bead and wearing like iron on my rain bike. I have run them at 70 psi but that is pushing the limits as I see the bead creaping up on the rim creating a bump. 55-65 psi .., no problem.
Old 01-09-24, 11:50 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by oldukbkr
I don't have advice re brands but at the bike co-op where I volunteer the older mechanics like to say "55 to stay alive" when inflating tires on rims with no bead hook. I see others on here have managed fine with 70-80psi on their own bikes. We're probably a bit more cautious because we're working with someone else's bike. But to me 70-80 sounds a bit over enthusiastic.
Seems ironic---many people post in threads about getting tires and wheels that allow them to run the lowest pressures possible, while others using the hookless rims sold from the '70's to the mid-'80's try to run the highest pressures they can get away with.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-09-24, 12:05 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
My experience is that folders stretch over time. I'd stay with wire bead on hookless. Fortunately I have hooks and as such I love folders.
Old 01-09-24, 07:28 PM
imabeliever1

And the frame chrome is in super good condition.
Plan on making it more rideable for the Kentucky topography.Probably a bit more modern derailleurs, freewheel with a decent low,Nitto Technomic stem and Noodle bars.
The non drive side crank was split lengthwise. So prob a 70’s /80’s plain crankset setup as a compact double with lower gearing.
it still has all its Campagnolo bits, but they will probably not handle the gearing I have in mind.

Some folks probably consider it crazy to hot rod a classic, but I like to ride them and we have hills here .

New decals arrived yesterday.
Likes For imabeliever1:
Old 01-09-24, 09:31 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
And the frame chrome is in super good condition.
Plan on making it more rideable for the Kentucky topography.Probably a bit more modern derailleurs, freewheel with a decent low,Nitto Technomic stem and Noodle bars.
The non drive side crank was split lengthwise. So prob a 70’s /80’s plain crankset setup as a compact double with lower gearing.
it still has all its Campagnolo bits, but they will probably not handle the gearing I have in mind.

Some folks probably consider it crazy to hot rod a classic, but I like to ride them and we have hills here .

New decals arrived yesterday.
Sounds like an excellent plan.
Old 01-10-24, 12:33 AM
Sactown_Albert 

Bikes: 2017 Sage Skyline, 2015 Co-Motion Periscope Tandem, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 2006 Kona Jake, 1986 Miyata Nine Twelve, 1977 Peugeot UO18c, 1977 Peugeot PRN10, 1974 Allegro Schweitzermeister Model 76, 1972 Hugo Rickert Spezial

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 601 Times in 191 Posts
Panaracer Paselas come both ways

Great tires but know that they have wire bead and folding versions. I am running Pasela wire beads on an old set of Weinmann concaves that are straight walled with no hooks. Run them at 65 psi. Have never had an issue and I’m a beefy guy who rides pretty aggressively.
Likes For Sactown_Albert: