Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2013 Giant Escape 3 Anyone?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-24, 06:42 PM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts

Guy wont go any lower than $270. I can post the ad if it helps. From what I've read, it's pretty low end... hi-tensile forks, Altus rear derailleur. I'd really like to get a bike in the next couple weeks but maybe I should wait.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/974458450703507/?mibextid=dXMIcH
Old 03-07-24, 06:52 PM
RoadWearier

Now he said $250. That still seems high
Old 03-07-24, 07:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Quite low end and not a great bike I would suggest maybe offering $50 if you are absolutely desperate for the bike. In the end I wouldn't want that bike even at $10 I would pass. I do understand that yes it is hard to get a bike for that price but I remember the Escape 2s and they were the slightly "better" version and they were terrible so another step down would be a harder pass.

There are plenty of bikes out there and plenty of used bikes that have better components and better frames and forks.
Old 03-07-24, 08:49 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Quite low end and not a great bike I would suggest maybe offering $50 if you are absolutely desperate for the bike. In the end I wouldn't want that bike even at $10 I would pass. I do understand that yes it is hard to get a bike for that price but I remember the Escape 2s and they were the slightly "better" version and they were terrible so another step down would be a harder pass.

There are plenty of bikes out there and plenty of used bikes that have better components and better frames and forks.
Yeah. I've not read great things. A couple years ago I bought an fx3 for $150 and it seemed a lot livelier although the brakes were crap. I'm supposed to look at a Kona Esatto tomorrow for $300. Much better bike with CF forks. Only Sora components but probably better than the Claris/Altus combo on this pig
Old 03-08-24, 08:55 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
$250 is too high for that bike, by at least $150. That said, it's the format that I'd like if looking for a bike in this segment. The steel fork will (should) be more comfortable than an aluminum fork and will last forever. Assuming the rims are straight, the rim brakes should be trouble-free and very easy to adjust and live with (disc brakes can be more finicky). One of the big downsides to this bike is the freewheel rear hub it likely has, which means it's effectively stuck in a 3x7 drivetrain configuration, unless you swap at least the rear wheel with a freehub wheel.

It really depends on what you're looking for in a bike. You wouldn't call this an enthusiast's bike, but it'd be good solid transportation...it's just not worth the asking price.
Old 03-08-24, 06:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Yeah. I've not read great things. A couple years ago I bought an fx3 for $150 and it seemed a lot livelier although the brakes were crap. I'm supposed to look at a Kona Esatto tomorrow for $300. Much better bike with CF forks. Only Sora components but probably better than the Claris/Altus combo on this pig
Sora isn't great but is a huge step up from Tourney and a decent step up form Claris and Altus. The Esatto is a road bike but would make a better bike than all of those others.
Old 03-31-24, 05:24 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
I lucked into a near-new 2013 (IIRC) Escape, a year (or two?) ago, and I love that thing. It's a 9spd, which I'm still a fan of, and still have spare chains and cassettes from way back. It's got a carbon fork, and simple rim brakes (fine by me), and Shimano Acera/Alivio, which has always worked for me (and I say that as a former road racer,and reformed bike snob, that's owned some nice stuff, so I do know the difference).
Being 2 decades past my last race, my whole riding style and approach has relaxed considerably, and kinda come full circle, in that im happy spinning over the hills,all alone, on bikes that i wouldve once turned my nose up at (yet they run great, and dont cost as much as a used car,LOL!!
BTW, I found this bike on FB, from a guy who it turned out goes to the same gym as me, and I scored it for $135, with extras, and I considered that a killer deal.

Last edited by Brocephus; 03-31-24 at 05:29 PM.
Likes For Brocephus:
Old 03-31-24, 07:41 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by Brocephus
I lucked into a near-new 2013 (IIRC) Escape, a year (or two?) ago, and I love that thing. It's a 9spd, which I'm still a fan of, and still have spare chains and cassettes from way back. It's got a carbon fork, and simple rim brakes (fine by me), and Shimano Acera/Alivio, which has always worked for me (and I say that as a former road racer,and reformed bike snob, that's owned some nice stuff, so I do know the difference).
Being 2 decades past my last race, my whole riding style and approach has relaxed considerably, and kinda come full circle, in that im happy spinning over the hills,all alone, on bikes that i wouldve once turned my nose up at (yet they run great, and dont cost as much as a used car,LOL!!
BTW, I found this bike on FB, from a guy who it turned out goes to the same gym as me, and I scored it for $135, with extras, and I considered that a killer deal.
Well he sent a message asking why I can't get a hold of $225. I'm guessing there aren't many buyers at $175
Old 04-01-24, 05:28 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Well he sent a message asking why I can't get a hold of $225. I'm guessing there aren't many buyers at $175
Ultimately, a bike is worth what a buyer will pay. There may be characteristics that make a specific bike worth more or less than average, including a really interesting colorway or livery. This model looks like the typical black bike and...unless that just happens to be your color...
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 04-01-24, 08:00 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
The seller asking you this, sort of tells me he/she does not have many people offering money for the bike.
If he did, then it would have been a solid no, not selling it for that price.
My bet is he has other potential buyers offering substantially less and is just trying to get the number up.

I would simply just tell the seller it's not worth the amount that you offered and what you are offering is generous. Also, be sneaky about it, don't appear overly excited about purchasing it and possibly state you have seen other bikes that you are also offering amounts for. The first one that says yes, has your money.

Past bikes I've sold on Facebook, I typically start out a bit higher number. Then after a few days to a week, start lowering the price by about $20 until I start getting people interested in offers. IF I notice there are a number of people saving my listing, then I know they are just waiting for my price to go down. It's something I will be doing again in next few weeks when I put a bike I am no longer using up for sale.

The sellers whom refuse to negotiate are the ones that typically have their bikes up for sale for many months. I have seen a number of bikes up for sale for over 12 months now.
Likes For travbikeman: