Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Experienced SMP users...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Experienced SMP users...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-15, 06:28 PM
latexyankee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Experienced SMP users...

What do I not get about these saddles? Trying out a lite 209 and it's giving me the same problems the dynamic and plus did last year (the nose on the plus was too wide as well). It destroys my crotch and crushes my boys into oblivion. The very thing its supposed to prevent. I can run it level to severely nose down to the point I'm sliding off and it still crushes my scrotum on the nose. My balls are squished with authority into the top of the nose, the hook point at its highest peak, before the nose drops down into the "beak" shape.

I'm not sure if they just aren't for me but I can't recall ever speaking or reading about anyone else with this issue. Most who are against them state sit bone pain or sitting on a brick. It's the exact opposite for me, I have zero sit bone discomfort, but extreme pressure, which even the naysayers at least agree it helps in the that area.

I really want one to work because they are the only saddle with a full cutout that I don't get chafing with. I'm wondering if it's a fore/aft issue? I've started with the same setback as old saddle, and increased it up to 15mm forward as suggested by hogg and pierce. Am I sitting on the wrong area? The saddle seems to put you where it wants you regardless of where you hop on within a few pedal strokes.

Has anyone else had experiences like this? I've tried lite 209 and dynamic. The dynamic was last year but I remember the same issue. Also played with a plus but nose was too wide from the get go.
Old 08-13-15, 07:08 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
I had a similar experience with a demo SMP saddle I tried, though not as extreme as yours.

I ultimately went with an ISM Attack saddle, which does a great job of alleviating genital pain/discomfort/numbness. I'd previously tried an ISM Adamo, but it was too wide which caused nerve pain in my legs. Have you considered ISM?
Old 08-13-15, 08:13 PM
latexyankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RNAV
I had a similar experience with a demo SMP saddle I tried, though not as extreme as yours.

I ultimately went with an ISM Attack saddle, which does a great job of alleviating genital pain/discomfort/numbness. I'd previously tried an ISM Adamo, but it was too wide which caused nerve pain in my legs. Have you considered ISM?
Yea I've been thinking about it but it's $30 for 2 weeks for any smp or ism. Not a single dealer in town. I might have to give them a shot but these smp drive me nuts. Has to be something else to it, just can't figure out what.

Alsoaybe I'm exaggerating a tad with the smp pressure but it's definitely there and it's definitely uncomfortable. This is supposed to be the one thing they relieve. I don't get it
Old 08-13-15, 10:40 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3149 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
Scrotal swelling?
Old 08-13-15, 10:48 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,385 Posts
Yeah, for me they're torture devices.
Old 08-14-15, 06:06 AM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone is different. Saddles are a love/hate affair. I'm most comfortable on the flat Specialized saddles and ride a 155 Avatar. Tried a few others over the years that other people rave about and I hated them. Haven't tried an ISM yet, but I might next time I buy a saddle.
Old 08-14-15, 06:14 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Maybe in Cloud Cuckoo Land every bike seat is equally comfortable for every rider, but here in real life, different physiology, riding positions, effort levels, road conditions, ride durations and bike setups all combine to make some saddle shapes and constructions more comfortable for any given rider than other saddles.

What's not to get?
Old 08-14-15, 07:15 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Old 08-14-15, 08:58 AM
latexyankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Maybe in Cloud Cuckoo Land every bike seat is equally comfortable for every rider, but here in real life, different physiology, riding positions, effort levels, road conditions, ride durations and bike setups all combine to make some saddle shapes and constructions more comfortable for any given rider than other saddles.

What's not to get?

I don't get why it does not relive pressure. Everyone agrees they do. I've rode 50 saddles that the community raves about that I didn't like for one reason or another. But, I've never had pressure from a full cutout saddle. The world universally agrees these saddles relive pressure but some may find too painful on the sitbones. Just sayin man, don't lump me into the newbie group, I'm just wondering if I'm missing something on the setup.
Old 08-14-15, 09:23 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by latexyankee
I don't get why it does not relive pressure. Everyone agrees they do. I've rode 50 saddles that the community raves about that I didn't like for one reason or another. But, I've never had pressure from a full cutout saddle. The world universally agrees these saddles relive pressure but some may find too painful on the sitbones. Just sayin man, don't lump me into the newbie group, I'm just wondering if I'm missing something on the setup.
Are you sure you are positioned with your sitbones supporting your weight?

Maybe try the saddle a nudge forward and really make an effort to plant your bones in the saddle.

There are times when without noticing, I slide a hair forward. Once the pain starts, I slide back to where I should be.
Old 08-14-15, 09:23 AM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can try lowering the saddle 5mm and see what difference that makes. Often a small adjustment can make a large difference, and its been my experience that lowering the saddle often improves comfort - with no effect on power output.

The ISM Attack as mentioned above, or most any in their line, will definitely eliminate the "squashing" syndrome. If you roll the hips forward by nature then consider trying one of the ISM saddles.
Old 08-14-15, 10:21 AM
latexyankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 69chevy
Are you sure you are positioned with your sitbones supporting your weight?

Maybe try the saddle a nudge forward and really make an effort to plant your bones in the saddle.

There are times when without noticing, I slide a hair forward. Once the pain starts, I slide back to where I should be.
I think I'm going to try it perfectly level to 1 degree up tonight. It is worth noting I have zero pelvic flexibility, this could be contributing to the issue. My crotch is right against the nose, I stead of just sitting up there. On the dynamic last year I did have some sore sit bones but still had pressure. I really think this is a setup issue on my end as the saddle should relive all the pressure even if it is uncomfortable on the rear.

Last edited by latexyankee; 08-14-15 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-14-15, 10:26 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I think I'm going to try it perfectly level to 1 degree up tonight. It is with noting I have zero pelvic flexibility, this could be contributing to the issue. My crotch is right against the nose, I stead of just sitting up there. On the dynamic last year I did have some sore sit bones but still had pressure. I really think this is a setup issue on my end as the saddle should relive all the pressure even if it is uncomfortable on the rear.
I hope you get it sorted.

For me, it was a huge relief once I finally got my sitbones holding all of my weight.

I'm riding on a cheap stock paradigm saddle and I can ride it all day without any pressure on my prostate/groin area.

When I slide off of the sweet spot, it becomes obvious right away.
Old 08-14-15, 12:27 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It may sound counter-intuitive, but you may want to try the saddle with just a bit of nose up angle.

It sounds like you're riding the saddle way too forward, and angling the nose up a bit will help with that. Your sit bones should be in the wide part of the saddle near the very back.

I recently got the SMP Pro, and I'm still getting used to it, but most of my problems are when I end up too far forward on the seat, so I have to remind myself to stay on the rear.

As far as the cousins go, I haven't had an issue with mine, because the saddle is narrow enough that when I place them correctly in my shorts, that they would be on either side of the saddle and out of the squish zone.

Of course, not every saddle or brand of saddle is for everyone. Since you haven't tried nose-up, try that for a few rides, and if it doesn't help you stay where you're supposed to on the saddle, then try a different saddle or brand.

GH
Old 08-14-15, 06:45 PM
latexyankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A little better tonight, no pain in the crotch but still pressure. I guess I don't understand the design, with the nose at such an angle, how are you NOT pressed up against it when leaning forward? Hogg told me to flip my stem upwards, not sure if I want to do that permanently or not but I may give it a try tomorrow.
Old 08-14-15, 06:48 PM
fstshrk

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I think I'm going to try it perfectly level to 1 degree up tonight. It is worth noting I have zero pelvic flexibility, this could be contributing to the issue. My crotch is right against the nose, I stead of just sitting up there. On the dynamic last year I did have some sore sit bones but still had pressure. I really think this is a setup issue on my end as the saddle should relive all the pressure even if it is uncomfortable on the rear.
I am thinking a recumbent bike is in your future.
Old 08-14-15, 06:51 PM
latexyankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fstshrk
I am thinking a recumbent bike is in your future.
I am thinking the future holds something very different than you see young padawan!
Old 08-15-15, 02:32 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
It sounds like you're riding the saddle way too forward, and angling the nose up a bit will help with that. Your sit bones should be in the wide part of the saddle near the very back.

I recently got the SMP Pro, and I'm still getting used to it, but most of my problems are when I end up too far forward on the seat, so I have to remind myself to stay on the rear.
This gets to the thing I like so much about SMP saddles. Everyone notices the way the front turns down, but what makes the biggest difference is the way the back turns up. It makes correct positioning so much more natural and intentional. Brooks are like this, too. Flat saddles just feel vague and dubious.
Old 08-15-15, 10:12 AM
fstshrk

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
This gets to the thing I like so much about SMP saddles. Everyone notices the way the front turns down, but what makes the biggest difference is the way the back turns up. It makes correct positioning so much more natural and intentional. Brooks are like this, too. Flat saddles just feel vague and dubious.
Fizik aliante is like this too. There is basically a sweet spot on the aliante. Once you find it, it is a great saddle. Until you find it, it is really not that comfortable.
Old 08-15-15, 10:20 AM
mawashi

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do I not get about these saddles? Trying out a lite 209 and it's giving me the same problems the dynamic and plus did last year (the nose on the plus was too wide as well). It destroys my crotch and crushes my boys into oblivion. The very thing its supposed to prevent. I can run it level to severely nose down to the point I'm sliding off and it still crushes my scrotum on the nose. My balls are squished with authority into the top of the nose, the hook point at its highest peak, before the nose drops down into the "beak" shape.

I'm not sure if they just aren't for me but I can't recall ever speaking or reading about anyone else with this issue. Most who are against them state sit bone pain or sitting on a brick. It's the exact opposite for me, I have zero sit bone discomfort, but extreme pressure, which even the naysayers at least agree it helps in the that area.

I really want one to work because they are the only saddle with a full cutout that I don't get chafing with. I'm wondering if it's a fore/aft issue? I've started with the same setback as old saddle, and increased it up to 15mm forward as suggested by hogg and pierce. Am I sitting on the wrong area? The saddle seems to put you where it wants you regardless of where you hop on within a few pedal strokes.

Has anyone else had experiences like this? I've tried lite 209 and dynamic. The dynamic was last year but I remember the same issue. Also played with a plus but nose was too wide from the get go.
latexyankee, if you can't make the SMP lite 209 to work and are interested, I have a ISM attack that has just 2 rides on it that I could swap with you. Drop me a private message if it is something you are comfortable to try.
Old 08-15-15, 10:30 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
It may sound counter-intuitive, but you may want to try the saddle with just a bit of nose up angle.

As far as the cousins go, I haven't had an issue with mine, because the saddle is narrow enough that when I place them correctly in my shorts, that they would be on either side of the saddle and out of the squish zone.

Of course, not every saddle or brand of saddle is for everyone. Since you haven't tried nose-up, try that for a few rides, and if it doesn't help you stay where you're supposed to on the saddle, then try a different saddle or brand.

GH
Either way far forward...or way far back.

Love my Composit SMP, but getting it angled just right takes experimentation. Also some saddles just don't work for certain people, which was my experience with the Fizik Arione.
Old 08-15-15, 02:57 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
It sounds like you need to move it farther forward, and keep in mind that level for these saddles looks nose up. "Level" is placing a level on the nose & tail, which looks like an extreme up tilt. The more up-tilt, the further back you sit on the saddle which should relive pressue issues in front.
Old 08-15-15, 04:04 PM
I <3 Robots

Bikes: Cervelo S2, Workswell 062, Banshee Spitfire

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recently got a 35 dollar eBay carbon one to try out for my GF. She has been through several different saddles, but did not find any of them comfortable. Its a cheap way to try out the SMP shape without spending 200+.

Her first ride was yesterday and it was the first time I've ever heard her use the word comfortable and saddle in the same sentence. Only thing she didn't like was how hard the saddle is (since it has no padding). I'm going to give her a few more rides and if she keeps liking it...I'm going to get her an SMP.
Old 08-15-15, 04:07 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by I <3 Robots
I recently got a 35 dollar eBay carbon one to try out for my GF. She has been through several different saddles, but did not find any of them comfortable. Its a cheap way to try out the SMP shape without spending 200+.

Her first ride was yesterday and it was the first time I've ever heard her use the word comfortable and saddle in the same sentence. Only thing she didn't like was how hard the saddle is (since it has no padding). I'm going to give her a few more rides and if she keeps liking it...I'm going to get her an SMP.
Thing with the Composit...you need to stand when going over things like rought street/MUT seams or RR tracks...riding over those seated will bruise your derriere (I had it happen this summer on a week-long tour from one day of crappy roads with bad seams every 20m). Helps greatly to ride sane tire sizes and pressures for your size. Riding it more, your butt will harden up too, TBH. I take a winter off that saddle on the road, and I notice it for a week come spring.

Also good cycling shorts ofc.
Old 08-26-15, 12:36 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Wondered how the OP was coming along with this? I recently converted from 143mm Romin to SMP Dynamic with very positive results. For me seat angle is more important on the SMP vs other seats I've tried, big differences in feel for small changes. I ended up at -4 deg of tilt down (vs -1.5 deg on the Romin). Interesting that the level of the front part of the seat tilts up about the same as the Romin (+ 1.5 ).

Seat height is still a little in flux, so far -4mm with the SMP. Setback for me ended up the same measuring from the tip of the seat.

Took me a good 4 rides to get it sorted.