Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show your Giordana

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show your Giordana

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-16, 08:01 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,999 Times in 1,781 Posts
Show your Giordana

So, I've been enjoying all the picture threads and thought it would be nice to get one that consolidates the few Giordana's that BF'ers have. So let's see them, post a picture or two of your ride.

I'm still hoping to add another one to my stable too.

I'll start it with my 1989 Antares. Columbus Cromor with a 6 speed Dura Ace 7400 setup. I'm currently having some HED Belgium C2 rims laced to the original Dura Ace hubs. Can't wait to get it up and running again! The bike is pretty much original except for putting on new Velocal replacement decals since the old ones had dried up really bad and were flaking off.

From back when Shimano's cranks looked good.

Old 08-14-16, 08:12 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
I don't have one, but I'm a sucker for the backgammon paint schemes. French Excell tubing was excellent stuff, and the frame builders that used it really liked it.
Old 08-14-16, 08:13 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

And another one.

The is a later 90s I was able to get NOS this winter directly from Gita. Its an Excell Podium tubed XL Super. They didn't have anymore matching forks but did have a chrome Podium Eco (next level down from the Podium) fork. Built up with a silver Campagnolo Athena 11-speed setup I was able to piece together. Rides like a dream.

As I got it:

Multi-colored paint job and simple hand painted black details!

And as built and now ridden for close to 2000 miles so far this year.

It's now got a set of Shamal Ultra wheels on it I got dirt cheap when all the British prices dropped. Dropped 15 ozs off the all ready light bike.
Old 08-14-16, 08:27 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
From back when Shimano's cranks looked good.

Very well put and illustrated. I re-post merely to emphasize.
Old 08-14-16, 09:09 AM
artclone

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Suberbe, '92 (German) Centurion Equipe, '85 Schwinn Peloton, 1983ish Zunow Road Racer project, '69 Squanch Super Tourer, 1980 Bianchi Super Corsa, '82 Austro-Daimler Vent Noir, '89 Miyata 914 project, 1982ish Bianchi Rallye

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
[/URL]

1989 Giordana Scorpius

Last edited by artclone; 08-14-16 at 09:19 AM.
Likes For artclone:
Old 08-14-16, 09:29 AM
lesterp66

Bikes: '95 Allez Sport, '81 Miyata Team, '82 Sequoia, '84 Guerciotti GLX '85 Ironman, '85 Trek 600, '91 Trek 2100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Those are all beauts!
Old 08-15-16, 06:42 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
Couldn't resist.

I know nothing about Giordana bikes but I'm a huge fan of their cycling apparel. Pricey but noticeably better quality in my experience.

Old 08-18-16, 07:29 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
I picked up this Giordana Capella frame a few years back. The person that I bought it from sold Giordanas back in the 1990's. He said that it was made by Pegoretti.

After doing a bunch of research on Giordanas here's the best info that I came up with:

"The Giordana bike brand was the house label for Gita, a supplier of bikes and clothing. Gita was the US distributor for Merckx, Pinarello, and De Rosa bike lines. They wanted a high-end frameset that would offer great quality at a slightly lower price point than the other brands they carried. Thus, the Giordana was born! Gita enlisted the assistance of Dario Pegoretti in designing the prototypes of the frames before they turned the final production over to Billato.

Billato is a contract master frame builder in Italy who made many frames that carried other famous labels, such as Ciocc, LeMond, Masi, Cinelli Super Corsa, Concorde, and others.

In 1992, the Capella represented the entry level of the Giordana line. It came in 3 models:

Crono - a time trial version with sloping top tube and a 26" front wheel
Strada - the basic road version
Pursuit - another version with a 26" front wheel

All 3 used Oria ML25 tubing with investment cast fork crown and standard lugs.

If the frame is Ferrari red or Cobalto blue, it is the Strada. Anything else and its one of the other versions.

Giordana's, because they were "farmed out" never got the recognition they deserved. They are very nice frames that generally don't bring a lot in resale because they came from a clothing company. But they are well made by reputable builders and worth taking a closer look."

The workmanship and cosmetics on mine are superb. I need to put it together and ride in someday...

Original eBay Pictures....

verktyg
Chas.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Giordana1-Front-Cropped.jpg (42.8 KB, 201 views)
Giordana4.jpg (52.2 KB, 201 views)
Giordana2-Fork.jpg (36.8 KB, 201 views)
Giordana5-Fork.jpg (55.4 KB, 200 views)
Giordana6-SeatTube.jpg (35.6 KB, 200 views)

Chas. ;-)

Old 08-18-16, 07:47 PM
jamesdak 

To reinforce the comments above. This is part of the email traffic with the Gita rep while I was getting the one bike:

"The Giordana frames were quite nice and, especially the ones built were Excel tubing, were pretty unique and cutting edge for the time. The geometry was dialed in by the owner of Gita with assistance from Dario Pegoretti, who built most of the prototype frames. The head engineer at Excel, Isadoro, was a bit of a “mad scientist” who came up with some wild ideas to try for tubing. Someplace here we have a superlight steel tubeset with a carbon fiber wrap on the inside so it could be welded! Excel had the capability to make one-off tubesets long before anyone else did and were able to do a lot of experimentation. Unfortunately, Isadoro disappeared during a sailing expedition and most of this capability was lost. This was also around the time aluminum frames were becoming commonplace in the peloton and steel was on its way out. There were some truly revolutionary prototypes built about this time that never saw production. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it."
Old 08-18-16, 07:54 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by verktyg
I picked up this Giordana Capella frame a few years back. The person that I bought it from sold Giordanas back in the 1990's. He said that it was made by Pegoretti.

After doing a bunch of research on Giordanas here's the best info that I came up with:

"The Giordana bike brand was the house label for Gita, a supplier of bikes and clothing. Gita was the US distributor for Merckx, Pinarello, and De Rosa bike lines. They wanted a high-end frameset that would offer great quality at a slightly lower price point than the other brands they carried. Thus, the Giordana was born! Gita enlisted the assistance of Dario Pegoretti in designing the prototypes of the frames before they turned the final production over to Billato.

Billato is a contract master frame builder in Italy who made many frames that carried other famous labels, such as Ciocc, LeMond, Masi, Cinelli Super Corsa, Concorde, and others.

In 1992, the Capella represented the entry level of the Giordana line. It came in 3 models:

Crono - a time trial version with sloping top tube and a 26" front wheel
Strada - the basic road version
Pursuit - another version with a 26" front wheel

All 3 used Oria ML25 tubing with investment cast fork crown and standard lugs.

If the frame is Ferrari red or Cobalto blue, it is the Strada. Anything else and its one of the other versions.

Giordana's, because they were "farmed out" never got the recognition they deserved. They are very nice frames that generally don't bring a lot in resale because they came from a clothing company. But they are well made by reputable builders and worth taking a closer look."

The workmanship and cosmetics on mine are superb. I need to put it together and ride in someday...

Original eBay Pictures....

verktyg
Chas.

Beautiful!

Ummm, when that frame starts getting lonely for family just send it my way to be reunited with it's siblings.
Old 08-18-16, 07:57 PM
jamesdak 

I also emailed Dario's site when I got the second Giordana and the legend himself responded! Biker dudes are soooo cool!
Old 01-16-17, 09:39 AM
jamesdak 

I finally re-shot the XL-Super with the Shamal's mounted. The new wheels got the bike down to a very respectible 19 lbs 9 ozs as you see it.

As you can see by the bar tape this one sees a lot of use, my favorite ride.

Old 01-16-17, 09:43 AM
jamesdak 

And the Antares with the upgraded wheelset, SL23's laced to the Dura Ace Hubs. Oh and the new saddle that I think matches this bike perfectly.

Old 05-11-23, 08:55 AM
dougb
Put some lights on!

Bikes: 1989 Giordana Scorpius, 1992 Trek 930 Singletrack, 1986 Raleigh Super Course, 1988 Tommaso Cromor, 1984 Sekai 2500 Grandtour, 1980 Trek 412

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Giordana manufacture year

[QUOTE=artclone;18983906]

1989 Giordana Scorpius[/QUOTE

artclone I'm curious how you determined your Giordana's vintage. Mine has the same paint scheme. I assume it has the same tubing (Columbus SL). The previous owner removed the decals. So I can only assume it's also a Scorpius. I can't find a serial number. Have you seen your bike in a catalog?

58 SL
Old 05-11-23, 10:01 AM
jamesdak 

I've only ever seen one catalog on these so it can be hard to pin down an actual year.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/giordana_catalog

This does match up to the other Scopius models. Full painted fork, chrome on the driveside chainstay only, external cable for the rear brake, and of course SL tubing. If it truly is SL tubing then the Scorpius is the model they made with that tube set.

If you pull off the seatpost and look down the seat tube is should be all smooth, no ridges. You might also find a "SL" stamped on the fork steerer if you remove it, or a label.

Additionally if you either email Billato with pics of the bike, especially the underside of the BB, or hit them up on the facebook page , they may respond with info on the bike. I've had about 50/50 luck with getting an answer back from them in the past.
Old 05-11-23, 09:02 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
Likes For rjhammett:
Old 05-11-23, 11:12 PM
cyclic_eric

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 80 Posts
Exceptionally nice Spica!
Old 05-12-23, 06:38 AM
jamesdak 

Since this has been revived I guess I can add a couple more.

Polaris with a nice Dura Ace build

Another XL Super. This was built up with much better parts than the yellow/red one above. The goal was to improve on the original one with better parts and a lighter weight. This was a 17 lb bike fully built when I got done with it. But I still like the original one better. Had this one for sale locally now at about 1/2 the cost of everything I put into it. No takers though so one of these days I'm pulling off the parts and then I'll sell the frame. It's an exceptional ride but no sense in having two of them.

I never got around to building up this Scorpius. Sold off the frameset about 2 years ago.
​​​​​​​
Old 05-12-23, 08:29 AM
cyclic_eric

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 80 Posts
As usual, your bikes are artwork jamesdak. The red Polaris scene is awesome!
Old 05-12-23, 12:15 PM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 150 Posts
I guess I never posted to this thread:

XL-Super, ‘93-ish shown w/ Campy 10v. I rebuilt with Shimano R8000 over the winter, but no pics yet. Honestly, it looks prettier like this than now.

Allegedly the first one of this particular model run, fwiw.
Likes For CO_Hoya: