Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How can I keep HR low? (Polarized Training)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-16, 09:40 PM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How do I ride to keep my HR low?
  • It is not practical to ride flat routes. My regular routes usually have about 50' of ascent per mile.
  • Step 1 = Go SLOW - I understand, although that's usually difficult. It's instinctive to push a little.
  • Sit - standing increases HR
  • Cadence? It seems that high cadence increases HR, but spinning feels like it's less effort.
  • I have huge gear range: 53/43/30 with 11-34, so I can spin fast even at 5 MPH
I welcome all suggestions, observations, etc.

"Polarized Training" = 80% riding is VERY easy, 20% is make your eyeballs pop! (I think that's a decent distillation)
This is what I did and my results:
  • Intervals, did them.every week for 10 weeks last year. 4 x 8 minutes (AHR = 150*), 2-3 minutes to get HR under 110.
  • Almost all other rides, I worked to go slow, keeping the HR in Zone 1 if possible. It seems like it should promote more joyous riding and fewer injuries. I found it more frustrating than "joyous."
  • SUCCESS: After 2 months, I improved acceleration and top speed, but I did not improve my average speed or strength or stamina. So I was pleased with the improvements** but somewhat surprised that the other items didn't improve.

PS - When (if) I do it again, I think I will do one "regular effort" ride each week. I was starting to do that at the end of the 10 weeks just to relieve the boredom.

* My max HR last year was about 155 or 156
** This will sound pathetic to most of you, but one of my regular routes has a speed display in front of a school. When I hit it, I've just ended a mile that's mostly uphill (12 mph average) and it's slightly uphill. My max effort was 18 MPH. Afterwards, I could trigger "23" in Identical conditions.
Old 10-09-16, 04:36 PM
neverquit

Location: Was born and raised in Philadelphia, PA. For the past 30 years we have been living in Fort Smith, AR

Bikes: Two road bikes, Zanes and Specialized.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, it seems to me you're in need to some aerobic conditioning. Since your HR goes off the chart and I assume your breathing is also labored, it indicates your aerobic capacity is in need of training. Being a runner and biker secondly, I do most of my running in the easy, "comfortable hard" effort. That is, if 1 is walking and a 10 is an all out can't breath run effort, you should be at a 4. I don't use a HRM for my training but use the "talk test"...If I can repeat the Pledge of Allegiance in short phrases, I'm ok, if I can't, I'm going too hard, if no problem, then I'm going too easy. Aerobic conditioning takes time, at least 3 months. One way to know you're improving is to measure your resting HR in the morning. It will gradually get slower, because your heart is becoming more efficient, which it isn't at this time. It's way beyond the scope of this answer to explain all the wonderful things LSD ( long slow distance ) training will do for you. I suggest you do a search and you'll be reading articles until the cows come home!...Good luck...DON'T GIVE UP...It takes time, but you will NOT be an efficient cyclist or runner without a good aerobic foundation.

Lloyd
Old 10-09-16, 05:30 PM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need to be in zone 2 for most of your riding. Zone 1 only for short recovery rides, of which no more than two a week. Get your intervals by riding with fast groups. These things will definitely improve your aerobic conditioning, as well as make new friends and more enjoyment. Riding alone is a recipe for depression.
Old 10-09-16, 05:54 PM
howheels

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NealH
Riding alone is a recipe for depression.
I love my solo rides just as much, if not more, than when I have company.
Old 10-09-16, 06:09 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
You should be basing your training zones off lactate threshold heart rate not max heart rate.

When you are doing a zone 2 ride you really do have to focus to get it done. Sit & spin up hills. Don't push no matter how instinctive it might feel to do so. Zone 2 rides are for sure doable in your type of terrain.

Your HR takes a long time to come down after an interval, this suggests lack of fitness. So you've got to keep working at it.

Speed is not much of a metric- its influenced by many things, including wind, temp, road surface, %grade etc.

I think you're expecting too much from 10 weeks of intervals. It just takes a long time, you have to be very persistent.
Old 10-09-16, 06:34 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by hobkirk
I welcome all suggestions, observations, etc.
Not sure I understand the issue, but I guess you would be surprised to hear that in my sixties my HR peak was about 225 sprinting, 130-150 was about idle pace for me. But, I started running regularly a few years ago, HIIT training, changed my diet somewhat dramatically, and my max heart rate dropped significantly. Now 175 is a stretch.

My exams and EKGs have been fine before and after, so there's that. Frankly, I am of the non-scientific opinion that your daily diet has a big impact on cardio performance.
Old 10-09-16, 08:03 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
Frankly, I am of the non-scientific opinion that your daily diet has a big impact on cardio performance.
Nope, just your genetics and training.
Old 10-09-16, 08:05 PM
rubiksoval

OP, if you want to improve your average speed, then I'd work on improving your average speed. Instead of doing these shorter intervals and then spending all of your other rides barely riding, why not make a couple of three of your weekly rides longer interval rides where you're doing 30+ minutes of effort at a time.

Do those for 6-8 weeks and I bet your average speed will increase a noticeable amount.
Old 10-09-16, 09:13 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Shoot...I can barely ever get my HR under 110 when riding at any pace.
Old 10-09-16, 09:53 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
  • Almost all other rides, I worked to go slow, keeping the HR in Zone 1 if possible. It seems like it should promote more joyous riding and fewer injuries. I found it more frustrating than "joyous."
What you are experiencing is typical.

Zone 1 and low zone 2 should feel painfully slow at first. You have to fight the urge to go faster, jump on the tail end of a passing group, hammer the last mile, etc. Sometimes it feels as if you didn't even exercise.

Trust your heart rate monitor. Slip into an easier gear, slow down and ride your heart rate zone for the specified time. Forget about speed altogether. Set your heart rate monitor so that it doesn't even show your speed and trust your zones, that's all.

-Tim-
Old 10-09-16, 10:00 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
If your plan calls for going slow, then go slow. I have had recovery rides where old ladies on shopping trikes pass me.
Old 10-10-16, 08:09 AM
Kelbesq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
If your plan calls for going slow, then go slow. I have had recovery rides where old ladies on shopping trikes pass me.
I've gotten passed by runners going up a medium sized hill.....
Old 10-10-16, 09:03 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The first mistake is thinking in terms of speed at all. Establish your LTHR, set your zones, and if you desire, ride in a specific zone. Effort ≠ speed, unless you're riding on a flat, smooth road. It's also virtually impossible to base any training zones off of max HR, because the average person has never seen theirs. My highest observed has been 185bpm, but I haven't seen that number in several months. The bulk of my rides come out in my HR Z2, just because they do. I'm not "training," unless I count today's ride as training for tomorrow's.
Old 10-10-16, 09:24 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Nope, just your genetics and training.
Nope, I have to disagree. One factor influencing cardio efficiency is hydration, and diet impacts water storage and release. From what I've studied & experienced, it seems to goes well beyond that one example. But, this is a complex subject that isn't going to be sorted out on an internet forum.
Old 10-10-16, 09:27 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
What you are experiencing is typical.

Zone 1 and low zone 2 should feel painfully slow at first. You have to fight the urge to go faster, jump on the tail end of a passing group, hammer the last mile, etc. Sometimes it feels as if you didn't even exercise.

Trust your heart rate monitor. Slip into an easier gear, slow down and ride your heart rate zone for the specified time. Forget about speed altogether. Set your heart rate monitor so that it doesn't even show your speed and trust your zones, that's all.

-Tim-
Yes. It's hard to go that slow. It seems like I am barely exercising, and just turning over the cranks with almost no effort.

But I felt it in my legs after the 40 mile ride. And I didn't feel like eating when I got home. I think it works, and helps to train the body to burn fat efficiently. (And it's good for just getting some hours on the saddle, too.)

• It is not practical to ride flat routes. My regular routes usually have about 50' of ascent per mile.
  • Step 1 = Go SLOW - I understand, although that's usually difficult. It's instinctive to push a little.
  • Sit - standing increases HR
  • Cadence? It seems that high cadence increases HR, but spinning feels like it's less effort.
  • I have huge gear range: 53/43/30 with 11-34, so I can spin fast even at 5 MPH
50 feet per mile rides are going to be harder to do in zone 2. On the steeper grades, you might not be able to go slow enough to keep your balance!

When I did a few early season rides in zone 2, I had to keep my cadence at 80 or so. My usual 90+ would bump up my heart rate too high.

Last edited by rm -rf; 10-10-16 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-10-16, 09:36 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
50 feet per mile rides are going to be harder to do in zone 2. On the steeper grades, you might not be able to go slow enough to keep your balance!
That's when you dismount and walk your bike up the hill.
Old 10-10-16, 10:03 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by FrenchFit
Nope, I have to disagree. One factor influencing cardio efficiency is hydration, and diet impacts water storage and release. From what I've studied & experienced, it seems to goes well beyond that one example. But, this is a complex subject that isn't going to be sorted out on an internet forum.
Okay, I misinterpreted your initial post. Your heart rate limits are genetically determined. If you're merely asserting there are factors that influence you hitting those limits, then okay (fatigue could be a huge factor, there) But no diet will change those limits. Someone with a max of 180 isn't going to hit 200 because they've jumped on the latest dieting fad (unless some medical issue like tachycardia arises).

Last edited by rubiksoval; 10-10-16 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-10-16, 10:29 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Multiple bikes, plan your route.

Staying in Z1/Z2 is tricky because it feels weird. Having an alternate bike can be helpful. Something with wider tires and a more padded saddle, since more weight will be on the seat.
Plan your route. You can usually find a flat route almost anywhere, but you may want to spend some time looking at the terrain. A nice easy spin through the park on a cruiser bike for example. All you need is your HRM and Garmin on the stem.
Old 10-10-16, 10:47 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
That's when you dismount and walk your bike up the hill.
Oh, of course! I never even thought about that. I'm used to maxing out at 3 mph on really steep climbs, not walking.

This was mentioned in those discussions about polarized training a couple of years ago. Walking the hill is what the Olympic cross country athletes would do, to keep their heart rate down.

Last edited by rm -rf; 10-10-16 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-10-16, 10:48 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It can help to hide your speed. Most computers have different screens, so just put it on HR and time. That's all that matters.