Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Garmin or Wahoo for a swimmer

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-17, 07:54 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts

I've had a Garmin 810 for a year, as well as a Garmin swim watch for about 2 years.

I really like the swim watch as it does a good job of tracking my yardage, porting to Garmin Connect.

The 810 computer has worked well, I actually do create routes to follow and it's pretty good and generally reliable. It dumped twice early on, then has been OK, last week I had to reboot as it couldn't find satellites, but generally OK.

I could see selling the 810 for a Wahoo Bolt, but would like to keep all my activities (I'm not a runner) on one web app, just haven't found anything that can take the Garmin swim data. Bike data I know goes to RideWithGPS, but that site doesn't deal with swimming.

Any of you folks use something that works ? And would work with Yahoo ?' I'd even give Strava a retry.
Old 04-27-17, 10:14 AM
jgperson
instagram: @allthecarbon

Bikes: Litespeed Archon C1R with Dura Ace 9070, 2016 Fuji Track Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a garmin 920xt tri watch. I love it. It auto uploads all my activities (swimming included) from garmins website to Strava automatically. So I would say the garmin is the way to go!
Old 04-29-17, 11:07 AM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would stick with Garmin, and maybe get the newer Edge 820 or 1000 for your bike. I have the Garmin Swim watch and love it, as well as the Edge 1000 for my bike. Garmin Connect has by far the most comprehensive swim data, so you will be wasting your time looking for another site imho. And the Garmin Connect App will also show time in HR Zones after each ride, something that most other sites charge you extra to display - if they display it at all.

I like the Garmin 920xt and 735xt watches also. For Triathletes, they fit the bill. For others, they are quite expensive and you will not likely use all the features that they provide. But if I run across a deal on a 735, I am going to pick it up. Both are sophisticated watches with lots of capability. I think both these watches are being updated in the near future, if not already.
Old 04-29-17, 12:04 PM
CeeDotA

Bikes: 17 TCR Advanced 2, 21 Revolt Advanced 3, 16 Trinity Advanced

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I also use the 920xt. For bike only, I have a 520. If you're looking for swim capability, Wahoo doesn't currently have anything that covers that. If you're set on staying with Garmin Connect for your swim data, I'd suggest a 920 -- though they're now obsolete and replaced. Since they've been superseded by the 935 and 735, 920s can be had for pretty reasonable prices now.
Old 04-29-17, 07:42 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
I'm not set on staying with Garmin, especially their GPS bike units, but do like the swim watch.
I've been fine with Connect, it pretty much does what I need in terms of tracking my swims and rides. It's certainly the best online program I've used, I disliked Strava for the few times I used it as it had poor privacy settings (at the time. I don't share any data). Endomondo sucked for swimming, could only enter swim workouts in tenths of a mile. RWGPS doesn't deal with swimming at all, and Map My Fitness I've no clue.

Just wasn't sure if there was another online program that could deal with both Garmin swim data as well as Wahoo cycling data in the event my 810 craps and I go to a Bolt. Garmin GPS can be extraordinarily frustrating and Garmin is just horrible at dealing with problems and getting stuff fixed.