Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

End of season injury

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

End of season injury

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-18, 02:58 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
End of season injury

Last Tuesday night I was walking the dogs, enjoying the cool night air and watching, in amazement how the bright full moon lit up the dark durroundings (and trying to ignore the disaster that was Game One of the WS). Then, as I stepped off the curb, something that I have done thousand and thousand of times while walking the dogs, I missed the step and my ankle rolled sharply inward. It was instant pain! I had to sit down on the sidewalk to catch my breath. one of mt dogs began to lick my face, while the other licked my left leg...K9 first aid I guess.

In a fit of stupidity, I decided to finish the walk, limping along the way, my ankle screaming with each step that I took. I walked more than a mile home, including 1/4 mile uphill.

When I got home I went to the fridge, got some ice and put my leg up to ice the ankle. But by then it was too late and the damage already done.

i went to work Wednesday and Thursday but by then my left ankle and foot were so swollen that I couldn’t put on my dress shoes. So I went to court each day wearing my running shoes. Business suit and sneakers, not a bad look.

By Friday I finally had to go to the doctor where they x-rayed my left ankle and confirmed the fracture. My doctor kept shaking his head as he explained, in nice terms, what an idiot I was for not seeking treatment sooner, especially in light of the fact that I am a diabetic.

Anyhow, to make a long story short (too late) he fitted me with a mobility (or immobility) boot and told me to stay off the bike at least until the first of the year.

Now, for the good part of the story. A year ago I would have been angry and upset with my bad luck. But I recently started up the Dean Ornish Program for heart disease reversal (I have seven stents in place plus severely calcified coronary arteries. The Ornish Program has been shown to stop, and in many cases reverse, the progression of coronary disease.

A part of the program consist of stress management, by way of yoga and meditation. I must admit that I was very skeptical about this portion of the program. But my yoga and meditation practices have allowed me to accept this temporary setback and see it for what it really is, an opportunity for personal growth.

I am still a Type A personality person, that part of my petsonality will never change, but now I am in better control of the actions and behaviors that led me to develop coronary disease.

I apologize if this post was too long and even boring. But people in our age group are more prone to suffering injuries, such as broken bones. So having the tools to cope with the physical and emotional consequences of injuries may be beneficial when the inevitable happens

Thank you for reading.

Old 10-27-18, 06:35 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
No need for apologies, just follow doctor's orders and heal.
Old 10-27-18, 08:11 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
thanks for sharing hope you feel better soon
Old 10-27-18, 08:14 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
[left]
Last Tuesday night I was walking the dogs, enjoying the cool night air and watching, in amazement how the bright full moon lit up the dark durroundings (and trying to ignore the disaster that was Game One of the WS). Then, as I stepped off the curb, something that I have done thousand and thousand of times while walking the dogs, I missed the step and my ankle rolled sharply inward. It was instant pain! I had to sit down on the sidewalk to catch my breath. one of mt dogs began to lick my face, while the other licked my left leg...K9 first aid I guess.
Why no photo's of your dogs?
Old 10-27-18, 08:34 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Consider yourself fortunate! My sister in law stepped off a concrete patio, took a similar misstep as you, and broke both her ankles......surgery was required on one ankle for plates and screws.
Old 10-27-18, 08:43 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
So sorry about your ankle but elevation and ice are going to be your new best friends for a while. Meditation and Yoga are good for the anxiety and frustration part of your recovery. Also look into Mindfulness as an additional tool. It has worked for me and I am a better person, according to my wife, for having added this practice to my toolbox of coping skills.
Be safe and calm and heal. Frank.
Old 10-27-18, 09:16 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
OUCH !!!
That just looks really painful .

Follow Doc’s instructions & get well sooner

What you use for mobility? Crutches?
Old 10-27-18, 10:05 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Why no photo's of your dogs?
Why no expression of sympathy about my injury from Colonel I Wave to All.
I am deeply, deeply disappointed,
Old 10-27-18, 10:09 PM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Bad luck about the busted foot. You may want to ask for more information about the fracture.

I've twisted my ankle badly three times. One time they called it a distal fracture. As I under stand it that's when a tendon gets pulled so hard a chunk of bone breaks loose, which obviously is different from a conventional bone fracture.. Anyway, I was up and doing normal stuff faster than what the doctor said would be the case and that could happen for you too. Hope so anyway. Good luck

Last edited by Nessism; 10-28-18 at 06:59 AM.
Old 10-27-18, 10:17 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
Isn't it odd how we always hurt ourselves worst doing stuff we think is perfectly safe?

Old 10-28-18, 07:14 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
Best wishes on a rapid and uneventful recovery. This reminds me of a workplace incident almost 40 years ago. I had just started working at a new job when I met the general manager, who was on crutches while recovering from an ankle fracture. He was an avid skier and had broken it during a skiing trip -- merely by [mis]stepping onto/off of a curb while getting out of the car.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-28-18, 11:28 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Biker395
Isn't it odd how we always hurt ourselves worst doing stuff we think is perfectly safe?
Exactly. I have done that same walk and stepped off that same curb thousand of times since moving to my home 30 years ago. Yes I am one of those people who stays put.
Old 10-28-18, 11:36 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by bogydave
OUCH !!!
That just looks really painful .

Follow Doc’s instructions & get well sooner

What you use for mobility? Crutches?
As long as I keep the ankle and foot elevated the pain is not too bad.

The doctor put me in one of those “immobility” boots. I use that and a cane to get around.

Old 10-28-18, 11:44 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Nessism
Bad luck about the busted foot. You may want to ask for more information about the fracture.

I've twisted my ankle badly three times. One time they called it a distal fracture. As I under stand it that's when a tendon gets pulled so hard a chunk of bone breaks loose, which obviously is different from a conventional bone fracture.. Anyway, I was up and doing normal stuff faster than what the doctor said would be the case and that could happen for you too. Hope so anyway. Good luck
The ortho showed me the x-ray and pointed out to the fracture. It is not a major one.

He explained to me exactly the same thing that you wrote...that when the tendon was pulled-stretched, it took a chunk of bone with it. He said it was like rapidly pulling duct tape from a painted wall and pulling some paint chips along with it.

I normally heal fast, I broke a rib and was back to riding in three weeks. I shattered the bone in the small finger of my right hand. A couple of weeks after surgery to fix the break I was back riding.

Thanks for the encouregement.
Of course, this was all AMA (Against Medical Advice).
Old 10-28-18, 11:45 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by jppe
Consider yourself fortunate! My sister in law stepped off a concrete patio, took a similar misstep as you, and broke both her ankles......surgery was required on one ankle for plates and screws.
OUCH...that sounds painful.
Old 10-28-18, 11:49 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Helderberg
So sorry about your ankle but elevation and ice are going to be your new best friends for a while. Meditation and Yoga are good for the anxiety and frustration part of your recovery. Also look into Mindfulness as an additional tool. It has worked for me and I am a better person, according to my wife, for having added this practice to my toolbox of coping skills.
Be safe and calm and heal. Frank.
I will look into that.

My diabetes doctor recommended a book called, The Wisdom of No Escape. It is a series of practices for when we are faced with situations that cannot be escaped, like a fractured ankle and a forced “vacation” from the bike.
Old 10-28-18, 06:30 PM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The crux of Dr. Dean's program is a healthy lifestyle, and that is good not only for people with heart or cardiovascular issues, but for everyone. Yes, it's good advice for everyone. However, his program is not going to reverse pre-existing diseased arteries in any shape or form. It possibly will stop it from getting any worse....possibly. But it certainly isn't going to start dissolving calcification on the artery walls. That is a snake oil story. Your stent is likely the best treatment for that, and it has been proven to work since it opens up the artery, or is suppose to, even though the calcification is still there. The only way to remove calcification of the artery is to surgically remove it, and that is high risk so only in certain conditions or situations will something like that be undertaken. Otherwise, a stent or bypass operation is less risky and typically very successful.

But again, the lifestyle and nutrition part of Dean's program is good.
Old 10-28-18, 06:52 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by NealH
The crux of Dr. Dean's program is a healthy lifestyle, and that is good not only for people with heart or cardiovascular issues, but for everyone. Yes, it's good advice for everyone. However, his program is not going to reverse pre-existing diseased arteries in any shape or form. It possibly will stop it from getting any worse....possibly. But it certainly isn't going to start dissolving calcification on the artery walls. That is a snake oil story. Your stent is likely the best treatment for that, and it has been proven to work since it opens up the artery, or is suppose to, even though the calcification is still there. The only way to remove calcification of the artery is to surgically remove it, and that is high risk so only in certain conditions or situations will something like that be undertaken. Otherwise, a stent or bypass operation is less risky and typically very successful.

But again, the lifestyle and nutrition part of Dean's program is good.
The research they have shared with us supports their claim that the program can reverse arterial calcification.

Whether it works on me is yet to be seen.

At this point, nothing else has worked; I have nothing to lose.
Old 10-28-18, 06:57 PM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it reversed calcification it would be in the news, and there would be credible research published on it. For instance, it would be in Pubmed (Nat Inst. of Health). But like you say, it can't hurt other than draining money from your pocket. Just don't give up your cardiologist and you will be ok. I compliment you for taking action though. I hope you live a long happy life. In fact I wish everyone that. Its a challenge for some of us.

Last edited by NealH; 10-28-18 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-28-18, 07:12 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
My diabetes doctor recommended a book called, The Wisdom of No Escape. It is a series of practices for when we are faced with situations that cannot be escaped, like a fractured ankle and a forced “vacation” from the bike.
Make sure to check out the sequel, "The Wisdom of Waving"
Old 10-28-18, 07:55 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by NealH
If it reversed calcification it would be in the news, and there would be credible research published on it. For instance, it would be in Pubmed (Nat Inst. of Health). But like you say, it can't hurt other than draining money from your pocket. Just don't give up your cardiologist and you will be ok. I compliment you for taking action though. I hope you live a long happy life. In fact I wish everyone that. Its a challenge for some of us.
My cardiologist is the one who referred me to the Ornish Program. They and my cardio work together as a team.

Major health insurance companies pay for the program; I doubt they would pay for quackery.
Old 10-28-18, 07:59 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Make sure to check out the sequel, "The Wisdom of Waving"
And still not a single expression of sympathy or a “how are you doing?” from Colonel Wave.