Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Should there be no chain contact with front derailleur no matter what gear?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-23, 09:47 AM
MyRedTrek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts

Should it be possible to adjust the front derailleur so that there's not even slight brushing contact audible while pedaling no matter what gear?
Old 09-28-23, 09:57 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 965 Posts
Yes, that is a true statement. However that not how everything goes. One may have cranks that have sway, and/or flex on the strokes. One may need to coldset the rings or the spider for even rotational clearance.

Frame flex can happen but that usually can be cleared with shifter trim.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 09-28-23, 10:14 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by MyRedTrek
Should it be possible to adjust the front derailleur so that there's not even slight brushing contact audible while pedaling no matter what gear?
I wouldn't say "no matter what gear." Cross-chaining may induce chain rub. Which is--personally--one of the several reasons why I don't do it.
Old 09-28-23, 10:24 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Yes, and unicorns...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 09-28-23, 10:40 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
This could be a matter of priorities. I raced and still have some race expectations of my shifting. No, it doesn't have to be as fast. But dropped chains from hasty upshifts or downshifts up front? Well I leaned decades ago that those happened most often when on the extreme cog corresponding to that chainring. Ie - when on the small cog and shifting inner/middle to large chainrings or large cog and shifting to the inner chainring, That a simple solution was to set the limit screw to a touch of rub when in my highest or lowest possible gear.

I set my bikes up with no rub. First dropped chain and that limit screw comes in say a 1/4 turn. Repeat if necessary. Now, this is all for friction shifting and on most of my bikes, using the old, narrow SunTour front derailleur, often with the cage narrowed further with a shorter bolt at the bottom. (Better, quicker shifts to the inner ring on triples and again, fewer chain drops.)

Edit: My experience is almost entirely with friction shifting and I have never had brifters.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 09-28-23 at 10:47 AM.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 09-28-23, 11:05 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
I haven't (at least yet) owned or ridden a 1x system. But on my 3 x 9 road bike, don't think it's possible. The bike shifts great, is quiet in most gear combos, but even well tuned, some combos will have the chain rubbing the derailleur cage. There are enough combos that those specific combos can easily be avoided. Not a problem (for me).
Likes For freeranger:
Old 09-28-23, 11:06 AM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
Yes, this is what you want to achieve and it is indeed achievable. Well maybe not if you are in your larger/smaller front ring and the opposite smaller/larger cog on the back, but that's on you.

1. Check your derailleur hanger alignment; if it is off no amount of other adjustments will fix things across the entire range.
2. Check your chain line; too long/short an axle could be putting your chain at the wrong position, forcing unnecessary steep angles.
3. Check your rear derailleur, they do get bent.
4. Adjust your limits on the front derailleur so you have enough movement.
5. Non index friction shifters let you put that derailleur in whatever position you like.
Likes For abdon:
Old 09-28-23, 11:18 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
It'd be real nice if that were true, but I don't think it always is. Especially when you get into 11 speeds on the rear. While for the perfectly designed and built bike it might be true, but probably not all bikes are perfect in all the ways they need to be perfect.

Trim helps quite a bit. If you don't know about trim, then you should learn about it. And don't forget to take trim out when you go back the other way if you don't make a front shift.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-28-23, 12:37 PM
SW84

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 78 Posts
The bike I have with microshifters lets me make very small adjustments to take the rubbing out.
Likes For SW84:
Old 09-28-23, 01:01 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
It is not possible on all bikes and set ups. I have 2 different 2X bikes, 10 and 11 speed, that I can trim to hit all gears with no front dr rub. I have another that I have never been able to get to that point. I can set it so either the lowest or highest will clear no matter the front ring, but not both at the same time. The one I cannot stop the rub has a braze on mount, the other 2 are clamp on. Maybe being able to adjust the angle a bit makes a difference. I keep it so I can hit the smallest cog with the big ring, and the biggest cog with the little ring. Just to throw this in, one bike I went to a 1 X 12 set up, 44 front with 11-34 rear, no worries about the non existent front DR. I have to say, I really like it.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 09-28-23, 01:20 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
With 2 chain rings, it is possible in most situations. With triples, no.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-28-23, 01:49 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Despite all the talk I hear about modern drivetrains having enough room to eliminate rubbing in cross chaining situations, I can not seem to adjust my FD in such a way. Doesn't matter though because hearing the rubbing tells me I'm cross chaining and I don't like doing that anyway.
Old 09-28-23, 03:28 PM
Keefusb
Keefusb

Bikes: 60cm 1992 Paramount, 60cm 1995 Cannondale R900 (son's bike), 1994 Cannondale H300 (mine), 1994 Cannondale H300 Killer V (wife's bike), 60 cm 1989 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra SLX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
In some instances, you can fit chainring bolt spacers to move the outer chainring outward to eliminate rub. The spacers are very thin washers (.5 mm or 1 mm thick) that go between the ring and the crank arm.
Likes For Keefusb:
Old 09-28-23, 08:20 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,565 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by Keefusb
In some instances, you can fit chainring bolt spacers to move the outer chainring outward to eliminate rub. The spacers are very thin washers (.5 mm or 1 mm thick) that go between the ring and the crank arm.
Which can lead to the chain getting stuck between chainrings.

I don't know why people go to such lengths to make their bicycles cross chain into gear combos they already have elsewhere.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 09-29-23, 06:21 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
I haven't (at least yet) owned or ridden a 1x system. But on my 3 x 9 road bike, don't think it's possible. The bike shifts great, is quiet in most gear combos, but even well tuned, some combos will have the chain rubbing the derailleur cage. There are enough combos that those specific combos can easily be avoided. Not a problem (for me).
I haven't run a 1x system either, but guaranteed there should be no front derailleur rub with the chain.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 09-29-23, 06:42 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact

I don't know why people go to such lengths to make their bicycles cross chain into gear combos they already have elsewhere.
On occasion, we agree!
Likes For smd4:
Old 09-29-23, 07:50 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
I don't get any derailleur rub with the 2 x 11 GRX drivetrain on my gravel bike, but I do get chain rub on the large chainring when I shift to the smallest cog and the small chainring. Reminds me not to do that
Old 09-29-23, 09:54 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Keefusb
Wouldn't that keep the chain from rubbing the other chainring, but make the derailleur cage rub even worse?

Agreed
Old 09-29-23, 09:58 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
A silent front derailleur... Ahhhh...

One of the benefits of using non-indexed friction shifters...
Old 09-29-23, 10:08 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,565 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
A silent front derailleur... Ahhhh...

One of the benefits of using non-indexed friction shifters...
Or indexed shifting, used correctly.

I have 10 year old first gen SRAM Rival. No trim. Never rubs because I don't ride in crossovers.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 09-30-23, 06:35 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
My Campagnolo Athena triple has a trim position for cross chaining. It's essentially a half shift toward the bigger chainring. It's a click when the shift lever is moved about half way.

(My Di2 has auto trim, a front derailleur small movement when the rear reaches two different mid cogs. Nice!)
Old 09-30-23, 06:51 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Ideally, it should be possible, although the extreme gear combinations (small front ring, small rear sprocket, large front ring, large rear sprocket) may be a problem, but those combinations are best avoided, anyway. With friction shifting, it's generally possible to trim the front derailleur to eliminate scraping, but not all indexed front shifting setups allow for this.
Old 09-30-23, 06:55 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
Depends...
On older drivetrains...9 speed and down...you can 'generally' eliminate chain rub induced sound but then again not always...depends on the setup of the front derailleur...it is correctly adjusted, etc. Also depends on the gear you are in...a lot of chain rub comes from cross chaining and that is a user caused situation.
As the gears increase cross chaining seems to be more prevalent and as the front derailleur cage becomes more narrow chain rub becomes more common...see the little plasticy insert Shimano uses...reduces the sound of metal on metal chain rub when cross chaining...brilliant isn't it lol...
Old 09-30-23, 09:36 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts

+1 on that. Or wearing a gouge in the chainring arm.

to the OP I'd suggest looking closely at your derailleur alignment - out plate should be parallel with the big ring.

/markp
Old 10-01-23, 01:56 PM
stratman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
With 2 chain rings, it is possible in most situations. With triples, no.
I've got a triple (nine speed). Sometimes, for fun (!), I run through every possible combination, including small-small and big-big. I can get them all without chain rub, though I have to use trim on some combinations. But in normal cycling I don't get any chain rub, and I don't have to use trim either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.