Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

The Unbelievable Endurance of Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tiress

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

The Unbelievable Endurance of Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tiress

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-24, 07:25 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
The Unbelievable Endurance of Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tires

I just reached 25,000 km on one of these tires, all of it rear wheel loaded touring use. The puncture protection belt is peeking through, but only in sections and not yet along the entire circumference. I'm guessing it will last till 30,000 km.

These tires are heavy as hell, so you'd better make sure you don't mind because once you buy it you're going to be riding it for the rest of your life.

And they're not immune to punctures. I've had a handful of flats on this tire, all from metal wires.

How long has your Schwalbe Marathon tire lasted?
Old 03-06-24, 07:34 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
I am heavier and haven't gotten over 10,000km on a Marathon Plus tire but typically get close. However, agree they last longer than other tires that I have used. Photo below of an old tire I had worn until the blue was showing, the new replacement tire and the Amazon delivery box that I had ordered the new tire to arrive in Liberal KS for me to pick up...
Likes For mev:
Old 03-06-24, 07:47 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Mine only had just over 10,000 K on them when I sold them with the bike they were on. They still looked good, and had only had a couple of flats. But frankly, I was glad to see them go! Your comment, "You'd better like them..." is spot on.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 03-06-24, 08:10 AM
cyclomath

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
My pair is nowhere near that mileage, but have gone over some really rough terrain. First couple hundred meters on my touring bike always feel like I am riding a tank, like I am on a tracked vehicle - it's a really rough ride. But they are tough and strong. I did manage to get five punctures in less than two weeks (and then ripped the tire itself), but that was once, it's an outlier. I think I have one puncture per one thousand kilometers on average, which is not bad considering the terrain I often ride fully loaded.

Edit. Forgot to mention - my tires are Marathon Plus Tour. Marathon Plus are not as rough.

Last edited by cyclomath; 03-06-24 at 10:57 AM.
Likes For cyclomath:
Old 03-06-24, 08:56 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I think the unbelievable endurance isn't the tires, it's the people who ride those tires for 10,000, 20,000, 25,000 km.

Back on topic, I think I got about 6,000 miles (or 10,000 km) out of a pair. I was so happy to see the blue belt showing through I ran into the house to get a replacement tire.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 03-06-24, 09:26 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
I just reached 25,000 km on one of these tires, all of it rear wheel loaded touring use. The puncture protection belt is peeking through, but only in sections and not yet along the entire circumference. I'm guessing it will last till 30,000 km.

These tires are heavy as hell, so you'd better make sure you don't mind because once you buy it you're going to be riding it for the rest of your life.

And they're not immune to punctures. I've had a handful of flats on this tire, all from metal wires.

That's of course great! But no I will never ride heavy feeling concrete behaving tires
Likes For str:
Old 03-06-24, 09:30 AM
str

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclomath
My pair is nowhere near that mileage, but have gone over some really rough terrain. First couple hundred meters on my touring bike always feel like I am riding a tank, like I am on a tracked vehicle - it's a really rough ride. But they are tough and strong. I did manage to get five punctures in less than two weeks (and then ripped the tire itself), but that was once, it's an outlier. I think I have one puncture per one thousand kilometers on average, which is not bad considering the terrain I often ride fully loaded.
right, riding these tires make a bike feel like a (lame) tank. )
Old 03-06-24, 10:05 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 249 Posts
I had a front one close to that, then a stapler cartridge finished it off on tour. I just started using a not plus Marathon 8 years old. 2.000 miles and still looks new. LOL. I would change yours ASAP.
It's damn -29C here now.
Old 03-06-24, 10:28 AM
staehpj1

Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Mine had a few hundred miles on them when I pulled them off for something lighter and more importantly with a comparitively supple sidewall. I sold them to someone who would appreciate them.
Old 03-06-24, 01:10 PM
Small cog

Bikes: Vintage Raleigh and more modern Roberts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
I have these on most of my bikes, great tyres and the best I have had is 8,000 miles or nearly 13,000 km down to about 1mm of tread, that included a lot of loaded and off road touring and swapping front and rear occasionally so they wore out together.
Old 03-06-24, 01:43 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
I rode SMP’s for a two month tour in SoCal deserts, due to goat-head and other thorns.
Yes, the puncture protection is great, but I found they ride like tractor tires. Was happy to get my Gatorskins and Gator Hardshells back on - Tires that a lot of people don’t like because of the harsh ride.
Miles do really vary ✌️

Last edited by imi; 03-06-24 at 01:47 PM.
Likes For imi:
Old 03-06-24, 05:36 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
I ordered a set of 2.125 wide Schwalbe pickup tires for my Pangea Rohloff. Cyclingabout has put them on his Koga and says they are six ply over the tread and five ply on the side wall.
Old 03-07-24, 07:35 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I haven't had great luck the last few times I used these tires. I had issue with the wire along the bead poking out and puncturing my inner tubes. all in all I had two tours where they annoyed the hell out of me with mysterious punctures...I have since moved on. However I have a bike in the Czech Republic that I will use this coming September to complete the Iron Curtain Trail section I wasn't able to complete 8 years ago and the bike still has the tires on so ... maybe ... :-) I will use them
Old 03-07-24, 09:42 AM
Yan 

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
I had a front one close to that, then a stapler cartridge finished it off on tour. I just started using a not plus Marathon 8 years old. 2.000 miles and still looks new. LOL. I would change yours ASAP.
It's damn -29C here now.
​​​​​​I'm in Thailand and it's freaking 34C. We are both dying.
Old 03-07-24, 09:45 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan

Let me get this straight, the puncture protection belt is showing and you want to ride it another 5,000k (3,000 miles)? ARE YOU INSANE? LOL!!

You need to buy another tire, either stay with the same tire you have if you like that tire, or get a lighter weight Schwalbe Almotion tire. I only have about 2,000 miles on mine but I've had no flats after running over miles of glass and who knows what else, and there are no cuts on them, the tires still look new. Supposedly the Almotion tire is supposed to last 8,000 to 12,000 miles loaded riding from reports from other riders. I decided on the going with the lighter weight tire after having a pair of Marathon Greenguards that were harsh riding, and felt sluggish, the Almotion tires have the least amount of rolling resistance of any touring tire, and it's noticeable even under load compared to the Greenguards. The Almotion has two different flat protection belt options, V-Guard and RaceGuard, the RaceGuard is the toughest one against flats. However, mine are the older EVO TLE version that used what is now called the V-Guard, so I have the lighter version and still never got a flat or even a cut so far.

I did cheat with those Almotion. The RaceGuard weighs about 150 grams more than the V-Guard, so I wanted to make sure these tires wouldn't go flat while doing a loaded tour, so I installed a pair of Clear Motion Rhinodillos flat liners that weigh 130 grams which brought me to as much weight as the RaceGuard, but the RhinoDillo is actually better at flat protection than what the RaceGuard would have been, and the Rhinos are far better than Mr Tuffy plus they're lighter in weight. I tested an old Mr Tuffy that I had and the Rhinos with a tack, and the tack penetrated the Mr Tuffy easily, but it would not penetrate Rhino; plus with a pair of scissors I could cut the Tuffy like cutting butter, while trying to cut the Rhino hurt my hand.

Now if you want the best touring tire, though it will weigh more than what you have now, the Marathon Tour Plus is a step up.
Old 03-08-24, 12:50 AM
Yan 

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Let me get this straight, the puncture protection belt is showing and you want to ride it another 5,000k (3,000 miles)? ARE YOU INSANE? LOL!!
Yeah, it does sound crazy, but 5,000 is only 17% of 30,000, so from a percentage perspective it's not really that much more. I want to get it to the same as in that other guy's photo, where the belt is showing continuously all around.

It's March 8 today. At my current pace I'm going to blow through that 5,000km by late April. Blink of an eye really.

I'm never buying one of these tire again. My tour will end this fall. If I buy one of these tires now I really would be riding it for the rest of my life.

Last edited by Yan; 03-08-24 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-08-24, 02:32 AM
Duragrouch

Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
I haven't ridden Schwalbes yet but heard good things about them, such as Big Apples in 20". On this particular model, my guess is the steering weight may not feel as heavy on 20" rims (what I ride), it may actually add some stability, but the ride might be worse due to the smaller wheels.
Old 03-08-24, 09:10 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Reading with interest.

I'll be looking for a 26x2" tire, riding over a mixture of tarmac/gravel/dirt (no technical rock surfaces). Currently on Almotions (no longer available in 26") after having been on Supremes (no longer available in 26"). Marathon + is just too much for me

Reconsidering width (perhaps 1.5" -- easier to remove the wheel; probably just as comfortable on gravel?).

What are the leading options?
Old 03-08-24, 09:53 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by str
That's of course great! But no I will never ride heavy feeling concrete behaving tires
Amen. I'll never know as I too will never ride a tire that feels like...beef jerky. Life is too short. Of course I'll never be touring in SE Asia, Central/South America.....
Likes For fishboat:
Old 03-08-24, 11:26 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
25,000KM? Pfft, thats nothing.
My concrete wheels will last at least 50,000KM and STILL roll faster and more comfortably than Marathon Plus tires. Come back and brag when your frozen hose tires reach 50,000KM!
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-08-24, 12:14 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 251 Posts
My riding environment changed so I swapped the tires on my Cannondale Quick 1 - removed the indistructable Marathon GT Tours for Marathon Racers. The GT Tour would be my choice for a long trip and a couple of spare tubes. The Racers are much lighter, more forgiving, and lively in response which is great in present riding environment.
Old 03-09-24, 02:14 AM
Duragrouch

Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Reading with interest.

I'll be looking for a 26x2" tire, riding over a mixture of tarmac/gravel/dirt (no technical rock surfaces). Currently on Almotions (no longer available in 26") after having been on Supremes (no longer available in 26"). Marathon + is just too much for me

Reconsidering width (perhaps 1.5" -- easier to remove the wheel; probably just as comfortable on gravel?).

What are the leading options?
You don't need to pull off the wheels often. Go for whatever performs best for you.

My folding bike, stock were 1.5", now have 1.75", even with the v-brakes unclipped, I can't pull the front wheel off without deflating the tire, the cartridge brake pads with pad-retaining bolt (aft) strike the inside of the fork, preventing them from opening wide. Pain in the butt, but I don't need to pull off the wheel often. Would be solved if the v-brakes were mounted on the back of the fork, like some. It works that way on the rears, those bolts don't line up with the seatstays, so the brakes open enough.

If you have disc brakes, tire size should be no issue for the above.
Old 03-09-24, 09:10 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
25,000KM? Pfft, thats nothing.
My concrete wheels will last at least 50,000KM and STILL roll faster and more comfortably than Marathon Plus tires. Come back and brag when your frozen hose tires reach 50,000KM!
The problem is when you are doing a loaded tour, you need a tire that will wear a long time while hauling an additional 60 or more pounds of gear, and getting flat on a loaded bike is sort of a drag, so you want to prevent that as much as possible. But for riding around America those Marathon Tour Plus tires are an extreme overkill...in my opinion. Now if you were doing an expedition type of tour and will be out in the Outback far from a bike shop then maybe those tires would be idea, plus a couple of backup tires! I have ran into people touring across the US that had those Marathon Plus tires, I just don't see the point, I would rather give up some flat protection with a more comfortable riding tire, and one that takes less energy to keep them moving, and one that can go at least 6,000 miles, but I also don't want a frail tire either, so in my opinion the Schwalbe Almotion tire fulfills that niche with a bit of a cheat that I mentioned. Everyone has a different expectation of the tire they want to use, so I'm not right or wrong in my decision just as someone who wants to use the Marathon Plus Tour are also not right or wrong, it's all about what you are comfortable with using.

My old Marathon Greenguards were like riding on concrete wheels! That's why I didn't go back to that sort of tire.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 03-11-24, 07:55 AM
sbrudno

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
I am heavier and haven't gotten over 10,000km on a Marathon Plus tire but typically get close. However, agree they last longer than other tires that I have used. Photo below of an old tire I had worn until the blue was showing, the new replacement tire and the Amazon delivery box that I had ordered the new tire to arrive in Liberal KS for me to pick up...
You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.
I would have been panicked if my tires wore that much, not to mention the loss of traction...
Likes For sbrudno:
Old 03-14-24, 08:53 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I put a pair of Schwalbe Marathons (not plus) on my commuter bike that I was repurposing as a tourer and I just hated the feel of the weight. I had Gatorskins in 26x1.25, t's a weird MTB size, and I think that's it, and these aren't much different than road bike tires, maybe a little heavier but not a lot. When my touring plans got canceled because of a torn meniscus I immediately put the gators back on. With the Marathons the bike felt like it was plodding along, with the Gatorskins it feels nimble, even with the weight in the bags.

Which brings me to a question, what other tires in a 26" size would you recommend for touring? I suppose I could just do a tour in Gatorskins too as they have protaction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.