Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hampsten Cycles

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hampsten Cycles

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-11, 08:01 PM
x43x
Powered by the XVX

Bikes: 2011 Hampsten Gran Paradiso ti, 2007 Pedal Force RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hampsten Cycles

In mid-2010 I began shopping around for a custom ti builder to build a dream bike. I wasn't sure when it would happen, but I was certain I wanted ti, and if I was going make it 'dream bike' status, it had to be custom. I looked online, made phone calls, talked to a lot of folks. Then I found Hampsten Cycles, which just happened to be local for me. To make a long story short, I called Steve up, visited the shop the same day, and made the decision that he would be my builder.

A few months later I had the scrap to make it a reality so I took my current bike up to the shop. Steve and Max (The in-house welder and owner of his own brand https://www.333fab.com/) rode around the block with me a few times to get a sense of my riding style and what I liked and disliked with my current bike. Back at the shop they took measurements and plucked them into a bikecad program to create my virtual bike. Deposit made.

Cue to now, and after a lot of waiting, paint, and component decisions, I finally have my frame. Max's welds are perfection, and Spectrum Powder killed it with the powder/paint job. I also want to give props to Richard at Fairwheel Bikes and Weston at Dash Cycles. I'm sure everyone will be happy that the bike is done and they won't be receiving anymore emails from me

The wheels are still a week or so out, but I wanted to share what I had now. Also, if you have a Hampsten, please post it!

Steve and Max

I went up today and assembled what I could. The wheels are Steve's and are were only put on to see how it looked.

I'll post proper pics once the build is totally completed, and provide a parts list. Its looking like it will come in around 14 lbs +/-...hopefully -.
Old 05-12-11, 08:30 PM
giantdefy
The "Mechanic"

Bikes: 2013 Tarmac SL4 Pro; 2011 Lynskey Cooper, 2015 BH Quartz Disc, 2014 Yeti SB75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dreamy!! Goregous looking bike!! Belongs on the front cover of a magazine!
Old 05-12-11, 08:52 PM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yep... damn purdy!
Old 05-13-11, 04:57 AM
phee

Bikes: BMC RM01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful bike! Not that I'm a weight weenie, but what's the weight on a frame like that?
Old 05-13-11, 05:33 AM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
X...That bike is way, way AWESOME! What wheels are you going with? Custom lightweghts no doubt...
Old 05-13-11, 06:19 AM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Very, very nice. I do like Ti frames and I like Andy Hampsten (though I don't know him). Winner.
Old 05-13-11, 06:35 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 710 Posts
That is badass, congratulations!

I don't recognize those brakes, but I'm betting that was one of the components you sourced from Fairwheel?
Old 05-13-11, 06:54 AM
Brew1

Bikes: Lynskey Helix, Wilier Izorad XP, Specialized M2 and a Trek 8500

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like it a lot!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-13-11, 07:23 AM
kimconyc
Señor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
So the angry pig is almost finished! Looking great so far!
Old 05-13-11, 07:54 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Dude WOW!!!
the bike looks great , luv the brakes.
sadly I must ask.....how much????
and No, I cannot afford it.
Old 05-13-11, 10:07 AM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
nice bike and nice fotos
Old 05-13-11, 02:00 PM
giantdefy
The "Mechanic"

Bikes: 2013 Tarmac SL4 Pro; 2011 Lynskey Cooper, 2015 BH Quartz Disc, 2014 Yeti SB75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by x43x
Thanks guys! A couple more

Uber gorgeous!!! Love the Evil Pig!! Just curious, can the top headset be pressed in more to remove the gap between headtube and headset??
Old 05-13-11, 05:39 PM
canali

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
did you get the 'eriksen' Ti upgrade? ...just wondering if you did (or didn't), what was the rationale (as it's offered on their website)

lovely pics...enjoy the mix of blk n white with colour....enjoy your lovely steed.
Old 05-13-11, 05:52 PM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
hampsten

nice frame.

bebop pedals.
Old 05-13-11, 06:10 PM
jpap
jpap

Bikes: Dean El Diente

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful bike. As a fellow owner of a Ti frame welcome to the club.
Old 05-13-11, 06:25 PM
M_FactorX19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
smoking hot cant wait to see it with the wheels. mad fibers looked kinda out of place on that bike. the enves should be stupid light and look great though. well done.
Old 05-13-11, 06:45 PM
x43x