Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Out Of These Bike Choices, Which Do You Suggest:

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-12, 09:24 PM
LemondFanForeve
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im in the process of buying a nice road bike, I have about $2500 to spend, and want something nice, that will last for a bit. My choices per se are limited, as we all know, most of the major bike mfr's dont make bikes in our size, Im 6 ft 6, and 235-240.

Ive found: Cannondale/Canyon/Colnago/Specialized are about the only ones who do make bikes in size 63/64, infact Colnago and Canyon go up to size 65/66. I like Felt bikes, but they just dont make 'em in "clyde size". I do have my eye on a sweet looking Colnago(C59 Italia 150th/C59 Italia), but wanted to get some advice from someone here if they own one?

Problem w/Canyon is, they dont ship to the US anymore(unless thats recently changed)

My question is(I know it sounds stupid, so pardon me if it does sound that way) anyone here have any first hand experience, or own one of these machines, that wouldnt mind offering up some suggestions/experiences with any of them?

I would imagine I'd also need a stronger wheelset? Sometimes i wish I was smaller.

Any suggestions/advice/opinions are welcome, and I appreciate it.
Old 02-20-12, 09:54 PM
maidenfan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
C59 for $2500? Thats usually a $5000+ frame & fork.

I'd suggest whatever Specialized, Canyon, Cannondale ultegra range bike that fits you and you like. You can usually find a nice bike in that range for your price.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 02-20-12, 10:05 PM
LemondFanForeve
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maidenfan
C59 for $2500? Thats usually a $5000+ frame & fork.

I'd suggest whatever Specialized, Canyon, Cannondale ultegra range bike that fits you and you like. You can usually find a nice bike in that range for your price.

Good luck and have fun.

Whoah! had no idea they were that much(Colnago)? they dont have prices listed on their site, a bit out of my range if thats the price....Thanks for the info.
Old 02-20-12, 10:16 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
If you think used, or even vintage steel, you will find a lot more large frames (bikes used to be larger then, and small vintage bikes are scarce). You can always build one up with a full modern drivetrain. All but one of my vintage bikes have modern drivetrains. Picked up a 65cm vintage bike a couple of days ago.

+1 A new Colnago is going to set you back way over that budget mark.
Old 02-20-12, 10:56 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
nice merlin ti in 63cm local so cal craigslist

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...860536360.html
Old 02-20-12, 11:07 PM
maidenfan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by socalrider
nice merlin ti in 63cm local so cal craigslist

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...860536360.html
Thats a sweet bike. Check that one out Lemond, it it fits you, the frame will last forever and looks great!
Old 02-21-12, 12:08 AM
LemondFanForeve
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys. I would like a more modern bike.
Old 02-21-12, 12:50 AM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by LemondFanForeve
Thanks guys. I would like a more modern bike.
That is hilarious.. Ti never goes out of style and will last a long time.. Many of the frames you have listed are in your price range for frame and fork only. Larger frames are harder to find but you can find them if you are patient and know what you want.
Old 02-21-12, 02:02 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I have a 30 year old Merlin Road frame and I think the size is 61 cm and just a skosh too big for me (I'm 6'2). I've got it outfitted with new, high-zoot parts though.

I've never thought of it as not modern.
Old 02-21-12, 04:41 AM
jethro56 
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek's 2.3 is available in a 64 @ $1700 would give you room for upgrades. Their 5.2 Madone is available in a 64 but @ $3500 it's above your limit.
Old 02-21-12, 12:01 PM
LemondFanForeve
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by socalrider
That is hilarious.. Ti never goes out of style and will last a long time.. Many of the frames you have listed are in your price range for frame and fork only. Larger frames are harder to find but you can find them if you are patient and know what you want.
Lol, sorry. By "modern" I meant like a cf or al framed bike, nothing wrong w/ steel obviously. Plus, theres atleast a bit of a warranty w/a more current bike, as opposed to vintage. Eventually, I probably will get a steel framed later down the road.
Old 02-21-12, 02:40 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm curious. Where have you found a 65/66 Colnago? To the best of my knowledge they only build to 58/59. Mrs. Fred has a Colnago and if I could find one that fit, I just might as well. Even if they are made in Taiwan now.
Old 02-21-12, 07:37 PM
LemondFanForeve
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigfred
I'm curious. Where have you found a 65/66 Colnago? To the best of my knowledge they only build to 58/59. Mrs. Fred has a Colnago and if I could find one that fit, I just might as well. Even if they are made in Taiwan now.
On their site, they have the 2 mentioned up to a size 65(and I think 66), go to the site, click on those bikes, and click on the sizing chart, there's 2 pages, it goes up to a 64/65 and I *think* a 66. Not sure if thats frameset only, but it appears they atleast build them that tall.

Edit: I just checked again, they come up to a size 65(go on Colnago.com, click on the 150th anniversary italia bike, click on "geometry", scroll down, click on the arrow going to the second page, a 65cm is the tallest they have listed)Hope this link works:

https://www.colnago.com/c59-anniversary/ (Go to the bottom of the chart, there's an arrow, click on it, and youll see that they do come in a 65)

Its funny, I mentioned that to my buddy Brian about how i liked that 59 italia Colnago , and he said" you do realize those arent even made in Italy anymore? they havent been made there in years, I dont know why they keep saying they build them in Italy, very nice bikes, but no different than any of the other mfrs".

Last edited by LemondFanForeve; 02-21-12 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-22-12, 04:44 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I see where you looking now. It's only the C59's that they supposedly make in those sizes. I would be looking for more of a CX1 or CLX, for both cost and fit reasons and those they don't build that large. The C59 would just be cost prohibitive for what it is. For less than the cost of a C59 frame a complete 64cm Madone or Roubaix would probably win out.

But, they're still "painted in Italy". I think.
Old 02-22-12, 04:53 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by LemondFanForeve
Lol, sorry. By "modern" I meant like a cf or al framed bike
I can't think of many in the size you're talking about ... but a 61 cm frame usually (?) comes with a 110 mm stem; a 130 mm would be like a 63 cm frame, and so on. Better to get the right frame size, but if you find that too limiting, you can probably make due.