Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Thanks For The Help! My Completed Fabio Barecci...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-12, 10:06 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

I posted this thread in the C&V forum, but I wanted to post it here also since the guys in this forum played a big part in helping me with my first build and getting this bike on the road. Thanks to everyone here for there assistance.

I hope the mods don't mind!

Hey guys, I just finished building my first bike and I couldn't be any happier with the results.

I purchased the frame on e-bay and the seller happened to be Mellow Johnny's, which is Lance Armstrongs bike shop in Austin. He picked this frame up with a bunch of other's from a warehouse sale in Italy, but he doesn't know much about it and neither do I. It's a Fabio Barecci, and about the only thing I can tell you about it, it was made in Spain by BH Bikes, probably around 1990 or so. A web search on these bikes only show two others, and both are for sale in Spain, but there is no real info to be had anywhere. I honestly think this could be one of only a handful or the sole example of a Barecci in America.They were probably never imported here. Who Fabio Barreci is, whose signature adorns the bike, I have no idea. I can't find anything on him anywhere. But I have to say, the frame is indeed pretty nice. The paint is very reminiscent of a Colnago Master Light (not trying to compare the two!), the frame does have internal cabling, and two braze-ons on the head tube for the shifter cables, which is a nice touch. It is made of Columbus Aelle tubing. Maybe Fabio worked for Colnago at some point?

I have two Shimano equipped bikes, but I always wanted a Campy bike, so I decided to go with an all-Campy build. It's a bit more money, but I think in the end, it was well worth it. The Campy bits really look good, almost like fine jewelry. And the drivetrain really performs well to. It's 9 speed, all Veloce, with Centaur Ergo shifters and brakes and a Record headset. Gorgeous to look at and great performance.

For wheels, I went with silver Mavic SUP Reflex rims laced to silver Veloce hubs and skewers. They aren't easy to find, but the wait was worth it. I love the classic look. I went with yellow walled Detonator tires to go with the yellow frame enhancements.

Seat is a made-in-Italy Brook's. Odd, but it's sleek and comfy. The post is Gipiemme, the bars are Cinelli compacts and the quill stem is a very pretty Modolo X, which has a nice clamshell system to put the bars on. Yellow bar tape is Fizik along with yellow cable housings and bottle holders complete the yellow theme.

The ride seem's really lively and active and it's a pleasure to ride. Turn-in's are predictable, the ride is very balanced and she tracks nicely. Acceleration from a dead-stop is quick, quicker than I thought it would be for Aelle tubing.

So here she is. All comments, suggestions and info are welcome!

Old 09-29-12, 10:53 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Very nice! It does have a Colnago look (not the fork though). I'd use black or blue tape, but that's just me...
Old 09-29-12, 12:20 PM
veggie
certified vegetarian

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Paramount P10-9, 1988 Cannondale SR2000, 1994 Bridgestone XO-4, 1998 Bianchi Sam Remo, 1998 Ibis Spanky, 2009 Soma Rush, 2012 Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Its funny when I see a bike on two different websites
Old 09-29-12, 02:11 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Reynolds - thanks for the compliment. There are times I wish it were a Colnago, but I kind of like the mystery surrounding this bike. But eventually, I'd like to solve it!

veggie - been a member here for quite sometime now, but I am new to Velospace. I'm trying to get this bike seen by as many people as possible in the hopes that somebody say's, "oh yeah, it's a Barecci, I know all about them. Great bike, better than a Colnago!" I'm getting somewhat doubtful, but maybe a Spaniard will show up and tell me all about it someday!

Not to mention, I really like the way it came out!