Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

lock nut tools - which ones, how many?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-24, 10:24 AM
bike_forum_geek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

hi there forum-ers. I'm working on a Specialized HotRock kids bike. The crank arms had some wobble. When I tried to loosen the lock ring with my Park tool HCW5, the tool tooth is too big for this lock ring notch. See image. I used a hammer and dull nosed chisel to loosen it. That's not optimal. I checked my LBS they have about 10 lock ring wrenches. What do home mechanics use for odd sized lock ring notches? Can you measure the notch and get a suitable wrench? I don't see measurements on lock ring wrenches. How are you supposed to decide on which one(s) to buy? TIA

Last edited by bike_forum_geek; 04-28-24 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-28-24, 10:52 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 1,656 Times in 1,063 Posts
Over the years I have gotten about 4 or 5 lock nut wrenches. I have to say that none of them really fit that well and at least three of them are good quality Park Tools. More often I go for my Large Cresent Wrench for the Lock Nut.

Wrenches for the Cups can also be a bugger to fit. I found a Bottom Bracket Cup Wrench that perfectly fits old French bicycles in the parts bin of a motorcycle shop. I dont know who made it. I dont know what size it is. But it works.

I guess the best way to get the proper wrench for old Lock Nuts would be to take the Nut and try it on difference wrenches till you found the proper one.

Do note that taking Bottom Brackets completely apart on old bicycles can be a real art form. Take your time and enjoy the challenge...
Old 04-28-24, 10:53 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6268 Post(s)
Liked 4,863 Times in 3,352 Posts
For that lock nut, you should be able to use most any standard open end wrench of the correct size.

For other locknuts, it's going to depend.

Judging by the tool you used, you are obviously confused what is the locknut in that picture.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-28-24, 10:59 AM
bike_forum_geek

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
oooppss, I meant I need lock ring tools. I changed the original post.
Likes For bike_forum_geek:
Old 04-28-24, 11:08 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Okay. But the locknut on the picture is the hex nut on the left. That single piece crank requires no special tools to remove or to adjust.

If you only work on a few bikes, I'd just get the tool you need as you have the need. Otherwise you'll have a bunch of stuff you might not use before it becomes part of your estate left to your heirs.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-28-24, 11:48 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2529 Post(s)
Liked 3,014 Times in 1,715 Posts
If I remember correctly from my bike shop days, that's not a lock ring. It's an adjustable cone. You turn it in by hand until the play in the bearings is mostly gone, and then tighten the lock nut. If it's then a bit too tight or too loose, repeat. You definitely don't want to be smacking the adjustable cone with a hammer and chisel, though.

Tightening the lock nut while holding the adjustable nut in place is a bit awkward, though. You might want to get a pin spanner to make the adjustment easier. Park makes them, among other manufacturers.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 04-28-24, 12:05 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
If I remember correctly from my bike shop days, that's not a lock ring. It's an adjustable cone. You turn it in by hand until the play in the bearings is mostly gone, and then tighten the lock nut. If it's then a bit too tight or too loose, repeat. You definitely don't want to be smacking the adjustable cone with a hammer and chisel, though.
You don't need to hit it hard, just a tap with a screwdriver will do.
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Tightening the lock nut while holding the adjustable nut in place is a bit awkward, though. You might want to get a pin spanner to make the adjustment easier. Park makes them, among other manufacturers.
You don't have to hold the cone, there's a tab washer to stop it turning. Ashtabula cranks are only used on old or cheap bikes, you're not going to get perfect adjustment anyway, but in its favour it's a fairly large bearing so not fragile.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 04-28-24, 12:30 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by bike_forum_geek
hi there forum-ers. I'm working on a Specialized HotRock kids bike. The crank arms had some wobble. When I tried to loosen the lock ring with my Park tool HCW5, the tool tooth is too big for this lock ring notch. See image. I used a hammer and dull nosed chisel to loosen it. That's not optimal. I checked my LBS they have about 10 lock ring wrenches. What do home mechanics use for odd sized lock ring notches? Can you measure the notch and get a suitable wrench? I don't see measurements on lock ring wrenches. How are you supposed to decide on which one(s) to buy? TIA
Ashtabula crank, the grooved part is the adjusting cone and has a left handed thread, the normal way to turn it is with a flat blade screwdriver, it's only hand tight until you tighten the lock nut against it. As for notched lock rings, if they don't fit any of my hooked or peg spanners or slip joint pliers then a hammer and screwdriver, punch or cold chisel, or occasionally make a tool from random scrap.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 04-28-24, 03:39 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5865 Post(s)
Liked 2,712 Times in 1,515 Posts
I never bothered with lockring tools for the cone on these BBs.

Adjust it close by pushing it around with a punch. Tightening the lockout will push the cone inward because of thread slop.

After a few tries you'll get a sense of touch about this. If it ends up loose, back off, adjust in a bit, and try again. OTOH, if it ends up a hair tight, use the punch to force the cone back against the lockout.

If you do three of these, you'll be nailing it every time afterwards.

Last edited by FBinNY; 05-01-24 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-28-24, 05:34 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 436 Posts
Don’t forget that cone and locknut are both left-hand thread.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 04-28-24, 07:05 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 279 Posts
The HCW-18 is used for a lot of one-piece cranks, virtually all kids' bikes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hcw-18.jpg (57.9 KB, 101 views)
Likes For soyabean:
Old 04-29-24, 01:36 PM
Raya2

Bikes: '80's Centerion Iron Man (purchased New) , ~'91 Specialized ($50 FaceBook Find), '?? Specialized Cross roads ($20 thrift Store Find)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
that crank is super clean
Old 04-29-24, 02:15 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by soyabean
The HCW-18 is used for a lot of one-piece cranks, virtually all kids' bikes.
But that is not the lock nut. If the OP was trying to move that while the lock nut was tight, I'm thinking they probably didn't budge it unless there was a lot of slack or play in the bearings.

On my one piece cranks, once the lock nut was loosened that part, the adjustment cone, could be moved with my fingers. Maybe sometimes needing a initial prod with the point of something. Punch, screwdriver and etc.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-30-24, 12:05 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 470 Posts
OP: if you haven't seen this and don't have much experience with one-piece (AKA Ashtabula) cranks, this link might be of help.

Best of luck.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 04-30-24, 06:47 PM
bike_forum_geek

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
thanks all, very helpful, the hcw-18 looks promising, as does the Sheldon Brown link. excellent advice here, much appreciated.
Old 05-01-24, 05:19 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 436 Posts
In case it’s still not clear, you don’t actually need a specific tool for that cone. Once you loosen the locknut (easily done with an adjustable wrench) you can loosen the cone with a quick tap from a punch and then move it by hand.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 05-01-24, 06:02 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 434 Posts
The one advantage of those BBs is that they can be adjusted without any special tools. An adjustable wrench, a screwdriver and occasionally a hammer are all that's needed.
Likes For andrewclaus: