Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Japan's Bicycle Guide volumes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-23, 09:13 AM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Liked 207 Times in 149 Posts

Some Classics & Vintage members of this forum like to go a little deeper into understanding various aspects of and the history of the bicycle industry.

Member [MENTION=202349]SpeedofLite[/MENTION] posts excerpts from Bicycling magazine and other magazines. I love these historical snap shoots and the advertisements.

Japan's Bicycle Guide cover 1986

A significant portion of the Bike Boom which started in the late 1960's was contributed to by Japanese bicycle and component manufacturers.

One source of information about Japanese manufacturing and exporting are the volumes of the Japan's Bicycling Guide. I believe these volumes were only published in English.

These guides were designed as catalogues to encourage sales of Japanese bicycles and components to foreign buyers. The first guide was produced in 1950, to be distributed in the year 1951.
The last volume was published in the 1990s. Each volume is close to 300 pages or more.

Some people find the actual catalogue of components the most interesting.

Some people like the art and design work by Onchi Koshiro the most interesting.

I find the advertisements to be the most interesting.

There are colour pictures of trademarks used as head badges. These trademarks were owned by bicycle manufacturers or export companies.

The first volumes listed manufactures by components and the export companies. Most manufacturers did not handle their own foreign exporting. Foreign buyers worked with Japanese export companies to secure their orders from the manufacturers.

Where can you find volumes of Japan's Bicycle Guide?

Some libraries in Japan have some of the volumes.

The Bicycle Culture Center in Tokyo appears to have a complete set of all the annual volumes.

The libraries in North America for the most part do not seem to have these volumes.

University libraries have an inter-library loan program and searches here produce only one volume at a university in Australia.

The late Howie Cohen, of West Coast Cycle & Supply and Everything Bicycles, had a large collection of these volumes. I do not know what became of his collection. I would assume that bicycle supply companies in Canada and the United States of America would have received these publications.

In Canada, the Canada Science and Technology Museum in Ottawa list 11 volumes from 1961 to 1975. So Canadian members near Ottawa can check to see if there is access to these volumes.

As a side note for the H. Tano & Company fans, the Canada Science and Technology Museum in Ottawa has three volumes of Tano's Guide Book, from 1957, 1962 and 1964.

The Taiwan bicycle industry also published similar guides.

Last edited by Hummer; 09-09-23 at 01:46 PM. Reason: name incorrect
Old 09-09-23, 10:41 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Liked 2,326 Times in 1,013 Posts
I have several editions of the Taiwan Bicycle Guides that I lugged home from Interbike in the early 2000s. Fun to look at, but at phone book size, not a light read.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 04-08-24, 06:08 PM
waza007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have Howies Japan's Bicycle guides
Do you know of any others for sale? especially 1980,81 and 86-90 era's
Also very interested in any Tiawan buyers guides from 86 & 87

I will pay good prices to source the missing volumes i need.
Old 04-09-24, 06:11 AM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Liked 553 Times in 218 Posts
New Cycling magazine in Japan published an annual guide. I have the 1990 edition, and it does a fantastic job of covering all of the bespoke builders as well as the major manufacturers. Can be found on eBay or Yahoo Japan for around $25
Old 04-11-24, 11:18 AM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Liked 207 Times in 149 Posts
Originally Posted by waza007
I have Howies Japan's Bicycle guides . . .
Hello waza007 and welcome to the forum.

For myself, I am glad to hear that Howie Cohen's collection still exists.

What are your plans, if any, for the collection?
Old 04-11-24, 11:33 AM
chain_whipped

Liked 544 Times in 268 Posts
Scanned / PDF of them would be a wonderful contribution. So much is being lost these days even with all the technology for next to no cost. Its just a labor of time thing and someone to realize the importance before they go or the items lost.

Old 04-11-24, 05:12 PM
waza007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
feel free to show with your laptop and scanner along with your sleeping bag and a months worth of food.

These books and catalogs get used weekly in my research
Likes For waza007: