Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Guerciotti with Gilco Tubing????

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-08, 04:07 PM
gr23932
Si se Puede!!!....Ahuevo!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I thought that Gilco tubing was only used on some Colnagos. I now have this Guerciotti which seems to have some kind of Gilco tubing. The Columbus decal states SL. I've only been able to read on one other Guerciotti with this type of tubing. I've never seen a Guerciotti with this type of tubing though I've only seen a few. Also, does someone know a source for new decals?? Paint is in good shape...just a hell-a-lot- dirty. What year you guys suppose it is? I'm guessing mid 1990s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
guerciotti.JPG (94.3 KB, 727 views)
guerciotti2.JPG (72.5 KB, 269 views)
guerciotti3.JPG (75.0 KB, 252 views)
guerciotti4.JPG (82.2 KB, 258 views)
guerciotti5.JPG (62.4 KB, 270 views)
Old 06-24-08, 04:41 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 788 Posts
Gilco was used *mostly* by Colnago, but there are examples of some other marques that used it too: Tommassini being one. Usually the decal will make a reference to the patented Gilco shapes, so it's unusual that yours is just a common SL decal. It's also possible that this is some non-Gilco tubing: merely shaped by the builder to approximate the Gilco shape, but I'd consider that doubtful. Mid '90s should be close, could be early '90s too. PM JR (JRestore) for decals, or Greg Softley (in Australia) via eBay.
Old 06-24-08, 06:40 PM
acorn_user

Bikes: Dawes Kalahari, Puch Prima Super Sport, Graham Weigh 853

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Simoncini still builds with Gilco tubing. Here is a recent review:
https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/c...gilco-08-31658
Old 06-24-08, 06:53 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am pretty sure that you can get Guerciotti decals, but I am almost as certain that they won't be the same as these...these look thinner and of a smaller font than standard gurch decals. The finish is not bad, though, and the decals are in pretty good shape. I'd heartily vote for conservation instead of replacing the finish. That color is pretty cool.

Battle scars are better than shiny new paint, anyway (the voice of experience, here).
Old 06-25-08, 03:33 PM
gr23932
Si se Puede!!!....Ahuevo!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by luker
I am pretty sure that you can get Guerciotti decals, but I am almost as certain that they won't be the same as these...these look thinner and of a smaller font than standard gurch decals. The finish is not bad, though, and the decals are in pretty good shape. I'd heartily vote for conservation instead of replacing the finish. That color is pretty cool.

Battle scars are better than shiny new paint, anyway (the voice of experience, here).
I think I've seen some decals on ebay, but not too sure. I'm only thinking of putting new decals on, but leaving the paint alone. The decals seem to be OK in the pics I attached but most are pretty beat up.
Old 06-25-08, 04:03 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
The brake bridge is Guerciotti, it looks like Paulo's signature on the BB and seat stays. I'd say it's a Gooch. Can't tell about the fork in those pictures.
Old 06-25-08, 05:16 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Send Alessandro Guerciotti an e-mail.

Alessandro Guerciotti
GUERCIOTTI EXPORT SRL
Via Petrocchi, 10 - 20127 Milano
Tel: +39.02.28.26.188
Fax: +39.02.26.82.69.54
www.guerciotti.it - aguerciotti@guerciotti.it
Old 06-25-08, 11:19 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
I don't know where people get the idea that "mostly Colnago" used Gilco / MS tubing...

I would say that about half of all well known Europen/Italian marques tried it at one time or another...I can name three right off the top of my head...

Benotto
Colnago
Rossin

Mostly this occurred in the mid to late 80s. By the late 80s slightly oversized tubing in multiple shaped variants gained the same weight reduction WITHOUT a loss in stiffness that occurred with Gilco / MS.

=8-)
Old 06-25-08, 11:25 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
I'd day no later than 1993 based on components though it's difficult to tell from the photos.
Old 06-25-08, 11:28 PM
mrrabbit 

I also concur with another poster that this may not be a Gilco bike - usually the Gilco MS tubesets would include an indentation of the seat tube for the wheel - also I remember fluted tubing being something entirely different...something that Palletti used at one point. I don't ever remember seeing a Gilco MS bike using fluted tubing.

Also, the Columbus decal would typically indicate the "Gilco MS" - not always - but typically.

=8-)

If the chainstays are fluted as well...get a strong flashlight and light up the interior of the bottom bracket shell. A frequent mistake by brazers of the fluted tube profile tubesets was a failure to complete an entire ring of filler around the tubes...imagine filling the exterior "V" between each point of the star - but forgetting to do one. An entire right chainstay of a Palletti came out once because 2 entire "V" channels had been missed during brazing.

Kid you not...

=8-)
Old 06-26-08, 10:22 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Quote:"I don't know where people get the idea that "mostly Colnago" used Gilco / MS tubing..."
That's easy, cause about 99% of the bikes I ever saw with Gilco tubing were Colnagos. I didn't even know that other Italian brands had access to Gilco until recently...here's a page from the Colnago 1988 catalog that seems to say that the use of Gilco by Colnago is "esclusiva" (but obviously that didn't last)

Also note the image of the decal that combines the Columbus dove and Colnago club, that's more like what's typical with Gilco tubing, rather than the generic SL decal on the Guerciotti.

Last edited by unworthy1; 06-26-08 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-26-08, 11:10 AM
mrrabbit 

Originally Posted by unworthy1
Quote:"I don't know where people get the idea that "mostly Colnago" used Gilco / MS tubing..."
That's easy, cause about 99% of the bikes I ever saw with Gilco tubing were Colnagos. I didn't even know that other Italian brands had access to Gilco until recently...here's a page from the Colnago 1988 catalog that seems to say that the use of Gilco by Colnago is "esclusiva" (but obviously that didn't last)

Also note the image of the decal that combines the Columbus dove and Colnago club, that's more like what's typical with Gilco tubing, rather than the generic SL decal on the Guerciotti.
Exclusive to Colnago? Or exclusive from Columbus?

For your information, the Benotto 5000 SL Turbo used Gilco / MS - and the models I worked on/saw were from 1985, 1986 and 1987.

You are correct on one thing - typically a label was included with the frame indicating Gilco or MS under or with the Columbus name.

=8-)

One of our own members here has a Benotto 5000 SL - search the earlier Benotto threads and see for yourself.

=8-)
Old 06-26-08, 11:22 AM
guygadois 

Bikes: yikes, too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mrrabbit
Exclusive to Colnago? Or exclusive from Columbus?

For your information, the Benotto 5000 SL Turbo used Gilco / MS - and the models I worked on/saw were from 1985, 1986 and 1987.

You are correct on one thing - typically a label was included with the frame indicating Gilco or MS under or with the Columbus name.

=8-)

One of our own members here has a Benotto 5000 SL - search the earlier Benotto threads and see for yourself.

=8-)

My bad Italian translates it to say: "Construted by hand with the world exclusive tubing Master Columbus Gilco Design". The phrase implies rights.
Old 06-26-08, 03:25 PM
caterham

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
fwiw-
Gilco is owned by a relative of Antonio Colombo (Columbus)
Old 06-26-08, 06:18 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
gilberto columbo, to be exact. I don't think that Colnago had an exclusive on the tubeset, regardless of the translation. But they did use the vast majority of the tubing.
Old 06-26-08, 08:25 PM
mrrabbit 

Just out of curiosity...

Fluted tubing used in Palletti was star profile....used by several other brands as well during the mid to late 80s...

Ran its course in about 2 years...

What was it? Gilco? Or was there another Columbus label for that?

=8-)
Old 07-31-08, 05:02 AM
edthemechanic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
new Trafiltubi Website

Here you can see the manufacturers of the GILCO-Tubes today:

https://www.trafiltubi.com/doc/chisiamo3.htm

And here ist the trafiltubi staff:

https://www.trafiltubi.com/ima/galleria/gallery.html

regards

Edgar
Old 07-31-08, 09:31 AM
s70rguy
presto, pronto, prego!

Bikes: Dave Lloyd custom, Brands SLX, Visser Vainqueur, XACD ti custom, Hewitt Scandium, Presto 1972, and more ...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts
I'd say there were many bikes with those 'creased' or 'fluted' profiles. I've seen several bikes with tubes that looked like Gilco, but were different, and had no tubing decl. I think i've seen some with Oria decals. It led me to thinking that anyone with the appropriate machinery could make those creases in the tubes. Maybe I'm wrong.
I think it was just a 'fad' of the late 80s, went away with the introduction of Nivacrom tubesets i gues, so that would make this Guerciotti late 80s in my opinion. Just IMHO of course.
Old 03-20-17, 10:54 AM
scooterpants

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre Xr4, Bianchi Proto, Pegoretti Duende, Rossin Ghibli, Rossin Record, Zullo, Tesch S-22, DeRosa SLX, Concorde Genius, Basso Ascot, Guerciotti TriStar, Meca Super Turbo, Pinarello Montello, 2 Masi Gran Criteriums,, Biemmezetta Cronostar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 36 Posts
I have that same model but with a different BB shell. I have been told by Guerciotti and the shop that sold it in Belgium that is was from 1993-4 (yes, I know this was pretty late for a frame like this). It is called a Tri-Star, hence the star shaped tubing. Not a Gilco made tube as far as I know. They outsourced the process. I have only seen 5 or so of these bikes anywhere in the world in person or online.
Attached Images
Guerc tri-Star.jpg (101.5 KB, 168 views)
Old 03-20-17, 11:22 AM
rowebr

Bikes: 1981 Bianchi Limited 650B conversion (sold), 1985(?) Guerciotti retro-roadie, 2018 Specialized Allez Sprint, 2012 Specialized Crux, mid 80's Focus MB-400

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scooterpants
I have that same model but with a different BB shell. I have been told by Guerciotti and the shop that sold it in Belgium that is was from 1993-4 (yes, I know this was pretty late for a frame like this). It is called a Tri-Star, hence the star shaped tubing. Not a Gilco made tube as far as I know. They outsourced the process. I have only seen 5 or so of these bikes anywhere in the world in person or online.

Wow...can you post some more pics?
Old 03-20-17, 11:55 AM
scooterpants

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre Xr4, Bianchi Proto, Pegoretti Duende, Rossin Ghibli, Rossin Record, Zullo, Tesch S-22, DeRosa SLX, Concorde Genius, Basso Ascot, Guerciotti TriStar, Meca Super Turbo, Pinarello Montello, 2 Masi Gran Criteriums,, Biemmezetta Cronostar

Here is one from before with a Belgium shop paint job. And the finished project currently. These are very uncommon and mine has a number hanger which is really confusing since I have not seen one similar. It could have been added but who really would have done that? The Columbus decal is correct as I have seen a NOS one and this was the decal affixed.
Attached Images
Guerc before small.jpg (23.0 KB, 165 views)
Guerci small.jpg (24.3 KB, 162 views)
Guerc4 copy.jpg (98.6 KB, 163 views)
Guerc3 small.jpg (23.5 KB, 164 views)
Old 03-20-17, 12:52 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Wow, zombie thread from 2008...since then we've seen numerous "crimped" tubing in frames that all appears to be done post-factory (and mainly done to Columbus tubing but ALSO seen a few Dedacciai tubing examples) and even some the had a "crossing diagonal" crimped pattern somebody called "sheaf of wheat" (or something like that).
The crimped tubing all seems to be "mysterious" in origin and dubious as to structural value, but much of it seems to crop up in frames that were known to have been built by the big-name contractors like Billato.
I think there's a connection but it's just a hunch.
Old 03-20-17, 03:06 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,876 Posts
FWIW, every Oria ML25 frame that I've seen has had fluted tubes, regardless of the framebuilder, leading me to believe that it left the Oria factory that way. It was used by Montagner, Moser and a handful of others.

Also, fluted tubing is nothing new and not restricted to the high end. There were some early 1970s, entry level, Japanese models from brands like Jupiter Beat, Sanki and University. Here's a sample with fluted top and down tubes, but the stays are crimped to stamped dropouts.
Attached Images
Jupiter Beat fluted tubes.jpg (98.5 KB, 147 views)
Old 03-20-17, 07:20 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
My fabulous Cornelo has fluted tubes, although not as square as the Gilco, but the tubing decal is Alle
Attached Images
Downtube.jpg (87.2 KB, 129 views)
frnt der hngr.jpg (94.4 KB, 131 views)
close up .jpg (105.0 KB, 129 views)

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-20-17, 10:11 PM
scooterpants

I've also got a Rossin Ghibli with the crimped tubing. I am drawn to weird tubing shapes. MS, Max, shaped, etc..
Attached Images
Ghibli small.jpg (24.8 KB, 123 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.