Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Whats going on with this freewheel? - Video content

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-10, 10:53 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I've got a freewheel that is just weird...it sort of moves up and down as you spin the wheel. I really can't describe it very well...see the video it's worth at least a thousand words.

View My Video

I checked the axle and its definitely not bent. I also replaced all the hub bearings. Still does the same thing.
Old 08-10-10, 11:05 PM
4Rings6Stars
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I had one that looked identical...but a bent axle was the cause (or so I thought...I'll have to dig that wheel out of the junk pile)

Last edited by 4Rings6Stars; 08-11-10 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-10-10, 11:40 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 660 Posts
The machining on the inside threads and the outside threads are slightly out of the same axis. It's quite common, though usually not so pronounced.
Old 08-10-10, 11:52 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Looks pretty normal to me. Some freewheels show more motion like this than others, but yours doesn't look outside the normal variation range. Bent axles won't make the freewheel move around like that - the axle is stationary so no matter how much it's bent it wouldn't cause the freewheel to move around.
Old 08-11-10, 12:09 AM
afilado

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone RB-1, '91 Specialized Allez Epic, '85 Raleigh Team Pro, '78 Andre Bertin, early '90s F. Moser Leader AX , '85 Centurion Equipe, '98 Litespeed Tuscany, '89 Klein Quantum, '80 Nishiki Superbe, '83 Peckham, '84 Fuji Opus III

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Normal.

J
Old 08-11-10, 02:03 AM
phoenix
blah blah blah

Bikes: too many

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Yup, totally normal from what I hear. I have a NR hub with a Regina CX freewheel and it does the same thing. When this stuff was produced they just didn’t have the ability to get the machining tolerances as exact as we can today. Kind of annoying, but it’s just the way it is I guess.
Old 08-11-10, 06:03 AM
Thumpic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
if it really bothers you.........measure it all carefully and reverse the axle...you'll have to move the cones and cone nuts; but the other end of the axle may be straighter........ but I'm guessing that the only time you see it is when you're off the bike...........................
Old 08-11-10, 07:17 AM
garage sale GT
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The fw threads on the hub(or the relationship of the sprockets to the fw's own threads)are not concentric with the bearing cups and the centerlines aren't parallel either. I never saw a bike without some wobble to the rear sprockets until recently. Some suggest it helps shifting, and I don't think they're being completely tongue-in-cheek.
Old 08-11-10, 08:00 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1624 Post(s)
Liked 2,245 Times in 1,118 Posts
Not limited to yesteryear production. Bought a new Shimano freewheel with the same problem. Returned it for an IRD at twice the price and am happier. It probably doesn't matter that much and it might even help with shifting!
Old 08-11-10, 08:52 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
The owner of the bike shop I worked in used to tell customers it's a "floating freewheel" and it does that to facilitate shifting. The mechanics always got a good laugh out of that.
Old 08-11-10, 09:10 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks guys, I kinda figured the axle had nothing to do with it being that the rim was perfectly true and just the freewheel was moving. Good thing I took it apart anyway, both sides were short a couple of bearings.
Old 08-11-10, 09:13 AM
sauze

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
EXACT same thing happens on my Super Course, I was thinking of asking here about it but was struggling with how to word it. The general consensus is that it's normal then? It was really bugging me but I had no clue what to do about it.
Old 08-11-10, 09:14 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
i had no idea how to ask either so i just took a video thank xenu for cellphones!
Old 08-11-10, 09:41 AM
sauze

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Now the question is does it affect the ride? I had myself convinced that it was causing the chain the move around more than 'normal'. It's probably all in my head.
Old 08-11-10, 09:46 AM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Man you guys are so outta touch. It's a BioPace freewheel.
Old 08-11-10, 09:47 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
we have a winner!
Old 08-11-10, 09:48 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
The Puch I just restored had the same play in the freewheel. I showed it to my LBS owner and he assured me it was normal.
Old 08-11-10, 09:52 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1624 Post(s)
Liked 2,245 Times in 1,118 Posts
I call it "wobbulating". You would think that with todays high tolerance machine tools, they could get the surfaces concentric! Now which part is not concentric, inside or outside race?
Old 08-11-10, 10:04 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
i'm hoping its the Freewheel thats a bit off and not the hub, but any way you cut it it doesn't like it has a negative effect
Old 08-11-10, 11:14 AM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I had one once that was bad enough to throw off the indexed shifter.
Old 08-11-10, 11:55 AM
Omiak

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I've had this happen before even after switching the freewheel onto a different wheel. It's just the pawls on the freewheel.
Old 08-11-10, 11:59 AM
Aquakitty
Canadian Chick

Bikes: Lots

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Yep mine has it as well, I thought it was me doing a bad job of the hub rebuild lol.. even though I did it pretty meticulously, good to know.
Old 08-11-10, 12:05 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
FW wobble had bugged me since the 80's. Even back then I couldn't figure out why the manufacturers cant get rid of this with better machining tolerances. This particular one seems to be one of the worst wobbles I've seen so far. It's really surprising why component comapnies can make close tolerance items like headsets and bottom brakckets, while FW makers still made stuff that did this, although as mentioned, they do not really afffect drivetrain performance.
Do threaded on FW today still do this??

Chombi
Old 08-11-10, 01:41 PM
dit

Bikes: 2 Centurian Ironman, Rossin Genisis, Greenspeed GT3, Stowaway (wife)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am sure that the manufacturers have the ability to make freewheels concentric. How much $$$ are you willing to spend to get them concentric and how concentric do you want them to be? The tighter the tolerance, the more it costs to manufacture. There are a lot of parts on automobiles that have much tighter tolerances than is needed and each one of them drives up the cost of your car. The manufacturers don't have enough engineers to properly design so generic tolerances are used. Just a WA, but I would guess that there is at least $500 of cost savings in each car just in generic toleranceing. It could well be 3 or 4 times that amount. The customer pays the extra cost plus markup so the only person hurt is the engineers that got layed off. ......No, I am not an engineer.
Old 08-11-10, 02:08 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by dit
I am sure that the manufacturers have the ability to make freewheels concentric. How much $$$ are you willing to spend to get them concentric and how concentric do you want them to be? The tighter the tolerance, the more it costs to manufacture. There are a lot of parts on automobiles that have much tighter tolerances than is needed and each one of them drives up the cost of your car. The manufacturers don't have enough engineers to properly design so generic tolerances are used. Just a WA, but I would guess that there is at least $500 of cost savings in each car just in generic toleranceing. It could well be 3 or 4 times that amount. The customer pays the extra cost plus markup so the only person hurt is the engineers that got layed off. ......No, I am not an engineer.
Thing is, I've encountered the wobbles on both cheap and expensive FWs (In fact my most unwobbly FW is not even my most expensive one.), so cost did not seem to affect whether it's present or not. Maybe they all just never bothered to update their milling equipment since pre-war times...or something. It must be the cursed "Gudenuff" approach to manufacturing that we are seeing here...no kittens killed here...move along.........Wow!, would you look at that new CF wrapped crank we're making for you too!!.....

Chombi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.