Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

Anybody here sell their custom or rat bike creations? What have you gotten for them?

Search
Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

Anybody here sell their custom or rat bike creations? What have you gotten for them?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-11, 06:10 AM
Toeslider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just curious, I've gotten into messing around with bikes more lately, and I like the "cruiser into rat bike" look, but I only need so many bikes for myself. I would enjoy creating customs as a hobby, but I'm just wondering if there is a market for them after they are done, or if it's something people generally want to do for themselves as a form of expression?
Old 09-06-11, 09:14 AM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I sold a mildly custom beach cruiser with MTB components and flat bars. Made a little profit. Stock bikes in clean condition net you profit, project bikes are for personal satisfaction.
Old 09-08-11, 08:44 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I posted this one on CL after playing with it for a while for $100 firm. I had maybe $50 into it. It had plenty of hits and sold the first night for my asking price. The guy loved it. Probably could've gotten a little more but I usually price my cheap bikes below market and FIRM, and then watch 'em sell quick.

So, I'd say depending on where you are there could be a market, but you aren't going to get rich. That doesn't mean it can't still be fun and mildly profitable. Especially if you already have a cheap source for bikes and parts.
Old 10-05-11, 07:14 AM
bud16415

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I give away between 10 and 15 bikes a year and a few fall into the rat category, maybe not by design as much as that’s what I had to work with. A lot of the bikes I start with for the giveaways are curb finds garage sale or CL bikes. I won't say I haven't sold a few but when I sell one its one I had to put a little money into. Could call me a one man co-op I guess. It’s a great feeling getting a kid on a bike that doesn’t have one for me, (with parental approval). Quite often I get a monetary offer and I throw it in the kitty. My concern is in selling or giving away is I know I can't make everything new but I want to make every effort I can that its safe. There is a post on the forum now where some guy sold an experimental frame he made to someone that thought they actually should be able to ride it and that’s just not right seeing as it has some serious safety issues. I like getting involved and will often share tools and time if the other person is willing to do the work and learn. I helped a kid saw off a set of bars last week for bull horns and another kid wanted to turn a set of bars upside down only to come back a few days later asking to turn them back up, lol.

As the above poster said you will never get rich doing this that’s for sure. if you figure your labor at zero and you sell a few here and there to make room for more projects while getting your money back you have in it plus enough to have a little to work with and giving someone that doesn’t have the skills or time a special one of a kind bike to enjoy. That’s about the best you can do.
Old 10-05-11, 08:03 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
i've been thinking about it some. for me it would be more getting rid of some past projects and trying to get a little walking room back in my garage.

over the last 4-5 years i've been building bikes for fun, leaving them in various stages of completion (i mean some rideable but needing paint, gear/brake work or tuning, etc), and going on to whatever interested me next. i'm pretty sure no profit would be made, even less so finishing them out to turn key (turn pedal?) bikes.
Old 10-05-11, 05:42 PM
crazzywolfie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have never sold one of my creation. i would never feel right doing so unless i bought a tig welder and learned how to tig weld. i sometimes fix up and sell a bike for a bit of a profit but not very often. i am a bit of a hoarder when it comes to certain bikes. i have a few bikes that have sat torn apart and i doubt i will ever get them back on the road.