Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Why is ultralight touring so unpopular?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Why is ultralight touring so unpopular?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-15, 06:35 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by mdilthey
...but I believe the Tarptent Contrail is the single best tent design on the market.

Ultralight, durable, simple, inexpensive, wow.
Ditto, many times over. I'm on my second one, having worn one out over 7,000 hiking miles and 6,000 bike touring miles in six seasons. Best $200 I've ever spent, in the dimes per night range. The new Protrail looks even better, if that's possible. Many of those tours and trips were in the arid US West, but plenty of North Cascades and Appalachian storms, and even a few late blizzards, proved the shelter's worthiness.
Old 12-01-15, 08:09 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Ditto, many times over. I'm on my second one, having worn one out over 7,000 hiking miles and 6,000 bike touring miles in six seasons. Best $200 I've ever spent, in the dimes per night range. The new Protrail looks even better, if that's possible. Many of those tours and trips were in the arid US West, but plenty of North Cascades and Appalachian storms, and even a few late blizzards, proved the shelter's worthiness.
It's an excellent little tent. I have a Moment as well (the new DW version). I like that one a bit better for ease of setup (just 2 stakes) - especially here in the NE. But both are great. The Contrail packs a bit smaller and is a bit lighter.
Old 12-01-15, 09:10 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
I'll mention this again, reading good reports of these from a number of you who have used them a lot and in all kinds of conditions is a real plus.
Also, given that over a long period of time, you guys have posted here a lot and don't come across as guys talking through your hats and have a lot of real experience bike touring and camping--this goes a long way towards taking your praise of these tents with a fair amount of confidence.

I really don't have a need for one of these right now, but will always keep them in mind if ever I wanted to play with reducing the size and weight of my packed tent.
Old 12-01-15, 09:33 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
34oz... Tarptent Moment. Love it. I carried the additional crossing pole on my last ADK trip because there was a chance of snow on the last night.

Tent, Lights, Night by Mike, on Flickr

Campsite by Mike, on Flickr

Contrail (now improved and called the Protrail on the TT website):
Mine is about 30oz with my homemade pole.

fargo, contrail by Mike, on Flickr

Here's a collection of lite shelters from an overland trip on fat bikes:

my contrail and wil's moment by Mike, on Flickr
Old 12-01-15, 10:10 AM
arctos
40 yrs bike touring

Bikes: Bruce Gordon Ti Rock N Road [1989], Fat Chance Mountain Tandem [1988], Velo Orange Neutrino (2020)

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I happily used the Tarptent Virga on the Divide Ride a decade ago. It was the 20 oz predecessor of the Contrail and the Pro Trail. I ordered it floorless with perimeter netting. Kept me warm, dry and bug free. I see the Pro Trail as a return to the A-frame form of Henry Shires original design created for his PCT thru hike in 2000(?).
Old 12-01-15, 10:12 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
My standard set up. Contrail waiting for me while I cook some food and brew some tea.

Old 12-01-15, 10:54 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisx
The cowboys had a wagon full of stuff
The indians found the things they needed
The Indians raided other Indians camps and got whatever they needed included their women and even their children.
Old 12-01-15, 11:06 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmike
It's an excellent little tent. I have a Moment as well (the new DW version). I like that one a bit better for ease of setup (just 2 stakes) - especially here in the NE. But both are great. The Contrail packs a bit smaller and is a bit lighter.
Are the tents you mentioned single or double walled? I really like the extra interior space of my Copper spur 2. Yea I know it weighs close to 2x as much as yours. But it feels like a motel room.
Old 12-01-15, 11:16 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
Are the tents you mentioned single or double walled? I really like the extra interior space of my Copper spur 2. Yea I know it weighs close to 2x as much as yours. But it feels like a motel room.
The Moment is double wall. 34oz.
The Contrail is single.
Old 12-01-15, 11:21 AM
Buffalo Buff

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys think it'd be worth upgrading to the protrail from my eureka solitaire?
Old 12-01-15, 11:27 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Buffalo Buff
You guys think it'd be worth upgrading to the protrail from my eureka solitaire?
What are the wts.? It's your decision. My guess is yes.
Old 12-01-15, 11:32 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
The Indians raided other Indians camps and got whatever they needed included their women and even their children.
Some did. Others did carry stuff in a travois, which is kind-of-a trailer without wheels:

Old 12-01-15, 11:36 AM
psy

Bikes: Salsa Fargo commuter,Litespeed Ocoee titanium mountain bike cannondale caad9 105 road bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ridefreemc
I for one appreciate that information and was unaware of those differences and how to measure them.
+1 very relevant to the discussion at hand. the suitability and durabilty of some UL gear to long distance touring matters. When I am shopping for gear, I generally look at three criteria.

Comfort: I like longer trips, 2-3 months( would go longer if I could afford it heh)

Durability/suitability: broken gear such as rips in your tent or a tent that sags and leaks in persistent rain would be a bummer.

Weight: Of course nobody wants to carry more than they have to to be comfortable.

Pretty much in that order, aesthetics do occasionally come into play, I like a green tent, for example.
Sometimes I think a lot of UL proponents make most of their decisions based primarily on weight, with the other factors being almost non factors.

what factors do you take into consideration when shopping for gear? And what matters most to you guys?

Last edited by psy; 12-01-15 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-01-15, 03:05 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
I think so, the Soitaire isn't a very good design in my opinion. It has some cool features, but also some shortcomings. It has way too many stakes, cheap fiberglass poles that are prone to failure, and it is pretty heavy for what it is. If I remember correctly they once made one just like it but with titanium poles, but I have never actually seen one

If you had said Eureka Spitfire 1, rather than Solitaire, I'd have said to keep it. Once you get rid of the heavy stakes and just use 4 MSR needle stakes the weight gets down to an acceptable 2lb 8 oz. The only other shortcoming that I find for my use is that the poles should fold smaller. Given that you can find them for around $100 or just a bit more it hits a sweet spot for me for trips where I want a tent. When the weather isn't too likely to be horrible too much of the time I actually am more likely to take my 5.3 ounce bug bivy or my 7 ounce bivy and a 7 ounce tarp though.
Old 12-01-15, 03:42 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In my not so humble opinion, comfort needs to be split in 2 pieces. Day time comfort means carrying as little as possible, Can I get by without rain gear, a stove, a bivy instead of a tent? etc. Camp comfort means bring as much car camping stuff as you can handle. The super sized tent. BBQ grill? laptop? etc. So your job is to find the sweet spot somewhere in the middle.
Old 12-01-15, 04:16 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by psy
+1 very relevant to the discussion at hand. the suitability and durabilty of some UL gear to long distance touring matters. When I am shopping for gear, I generally look at three criteria.

Comfort: I like longer trips, 2-3 months( would go longer if I could afford it heh)

Durability/suitability: broken gear such as rips in your tent or a tent that sags and leaks in persistent rain would be a bummer.

Weight: Of course nobody wants to carry more than they have to to be comfortable.

Pretty much in that order, aesthetics do occasionally come into play, I like a green tent, for example.
Sometimes I think a lot of UL proponents make most of their decisions based primarily on weight, with the other factors being almost non factors.

what factors do you take into consideration when shopping for gear? And what matters most to you guys?
Comfort and function are default criteria....the stuff must work and maintain my level of comfort over long trips (2-3 months). Next criteria is weight. I try to get the lightest stuff that won't result in any loss of comfort. Hence, I take a tent rather than a tarp as I don't want to be bothered by bugs.
Old 12-01-15, 04:27 PM
Buffalo Buff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
34oz... Tarptent Moment. Love it. I carried the additional crossing pole on my last ADK trip because there was a chance of snow on the last night.
Thanks for sharing those photos, they're beautiful. Could you post what photography equipment you were using?
Old 12-01-15, 04:29 PM
Buffalo Buff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are the wts.? It's your decision. My guess is yes.
41oz vs 26oz. I don't know what it would be after buying a pole, since I don't own any hiking poles. 200$ to save a pound. Might be a christmas present to myself
Old 12-01-15, 04:31 PM
Buffalo Buff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my not so humble opinion, comfort needs to be split in 2 pieces. Day time comfort means carrying as little as possible, Can I get by without rain gear, a stove, a bivy instead of a tent? etc. Camp comfort means bring as much car camping stuff as you can handle. The super sized tent. BBQ grill? laptop? etc. So your job is to find the sweet spot somewhere in the middle.
I agree.

For me, when I camp, all I do is setup my tent, change my clothes and sleep. Having cooking supplies or a laptop wouldn't make my night any better, so this gives me the freedom to focus on the daytime category in a more extreme way than most people would care to.
Old 12-01-15, 04:37 PM
Buffalo Buff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I think so, the Soitaire isn't a very good design in my opinion. It has some cool features, but also some shortcomings. It has way too many stakes, cheap fiberglass poles that are prone to failure, and it is pretty heavy for what it is. If I remember correctly they once made one just like it but with titanium poles, but I have never actually seen one

If you had said Eureka Spitfire 1, rather than Solitaire, I'd have said to keep it. Once you get rid of the heavy stakes and just use 4 MSR needle stakes the weight gets down to an acceptable 2lb 8 oz. The only other shortcoming that I find for my use is that the poles should fold smaller. Given that you can find them for around $100 or just a bit more it hits a sweet spot for me for trips where I want a tent. When the weather isn't too likely to be horrible too much of the time I actually am more likely to take my 5.3 ounce bug bivy or my 7 ounce bivy and a 7 ounce tarp though.
Thanks for the info, I'm going to look up the spitfire.

I've had good luck with my Solitaire. Got it around 2004-2005 and I'm still on the stock poles. Only carry 4 stakes though, I found that's the least I can get by with. I can always carve more out of sticks if I got caught in some freak winds or something.

I have a grand trunk ultralight I use when I want the lightest shelter I own. I like the idea of a bivy though. I could see using one + a sleeping pad and being comfortable.
Old 12-01-15, 04:48 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just can't do a bivy, if you can, more power to ya!
Old 12-01-15, 04:49 PM
staehpj1

That is a reasonable way to look at it. I consider comfort on the bike and comfort while sleeping to be the important things. The good news is that bigger tents and other stuff don't make me sleep better so I can be pretty comfy with a very light load.

I do like to have the ability to fix a hot meal and given that I can do that with only a few ounces of gear and a few ounces of fuel I have not been tempted to do without.
Old 12-01-15, 04:57 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the info, I'm going to look up the spitfire.

I've had good luck with my Solitaire. Got it around 2004-2005 and I'm still on the stock poles. Only carry 4 stakes though, I found that's the least I can get by with. I can always carve more out of sticks if I got caught in some freak winds or something.

I have a grand trunk ultralight I use when I want the lightest shelter I own. I like the idea of a bivy though. I could see using one + a sleeping pad and being comfortable.
That Contrail or Protrail will weigh about the same or less than most bivies. (Without getting super crazy with Cuben and such). And if you aren't giant sized you can sit up at the end of the Contrail.
Old 12-01-15, 04:59 PM
staehpj1

I just can't do a bivy, if you can, more power to ya!
Yeah, probably true for a lot of people. It works well for me for most trips, but I can see where folks wouldn't like it. The way I look at it is that I like to cowboy camp when I can and for me being in a bivy isn't that much different since I am already in a mummy bag if it is cool. The times that I like the bivy the least are when it is hot and the bugs are biting. That can be kind of miserable, so if I think it will be like that much, I take the bug bivy and a tarp. A good portion of the time I sleep on top of the bivy if it isn't pretty cool and the bugs aren't biting.

I haven't done it in a while, but I still might take a tent for some locales in some seasons.
Old 12-01-15, 05:12 PM
staehpj1

That Contrail or Protrail will weigh about the same or less than most bivies. (Without getting super crazy with Cuben and such). And if you aren't giant sized you can sit up at the end of the Contrail.
It depends on what kind of bivies you are looking at. My Titanium Goat Bug bivy weighs 5.3 ounces and my Borah Side Zip weighs 7 ounces and I don't think I opted for the very lightest material choices. So even with a 7 ounce tarp and some cord and stakes the bivy is still a fair bit lighter. Not knocking the tarp tents, I just think that since we are talking UL shelters, you should compare with UL bivys and not heavier ones.

Obviously, if you value interior sprawling room the tarp tents are luxurious compared to a bivy.

Both have their pluses and minuses and one or the other may suit any given individual on any given trip better.

I like my bivy but concede that most folks will be happier with something like the contrail or protrail.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.