Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

crank length and bike weight in track sprinting

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Old 03-22-16, 07:26 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

two questions

why do track sprinters generally use shorter crank lengths while road sprinters generally prefer a longer crank length?

my understanding is that track sprinters value aero and stiffness over weight. it's not uncommon for them to weigh 20 lbs, is that right? is weight really that insignificant?
Old 03-22-16, 07:41 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
two questions

why do track sprinters generally use shorter crank lengths while road sprinters generally prefer a longer crank length?

My thoughts:
Because track sprinters use one gear that results in a very high cadence. Short cranks facilitate this.
Road sprinters can upshift to a higher gear when they are already at speed so high cadence is less important.
Old 03-22-16, 08:10 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 700wheel
My thoughts:
Because track sprinters use one gear that results in a very high cadence. Short cranks facilitate this.
Road sprinters can upshift to a higher gear when they are already at speed so high cadence is less important.
make sense, they're forced to compromise with only one gear, at low and high speeds.

what about bike weight?
Old 03-22-16, 08:13 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
There's a lot of research lately that points to better results on shorter cranks regardless of discipline.
Old 03-22-16, 08:35 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
There's a lot of research lately that points to better results on shorter cranks regardless of discipline.
can you point me out to these research? the stuff I read list tradeoffs between longer and shorter cranks.
Old 03-22-16, 08:36 PM
grav.digr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its rather commonplace to see 170mm in the pro ranks these days (on the road)
Old 03-22-16, 08:47 PM
Baby Puke

can you point me out to these research? the stuff I read list tradeoffs between longer and shorter cranks.
I think this is the article that people have been referencing recently:
Are shorter cranks better? - Cycling Weekly

But it's been known for some time that there is virtually no advantage in power in changing your cranks to anything from the 165mm-175mm range that is typical. The conclusion then, is that shorter is better as it allows you to get a more aerodynamic position on the bike with equivalent hip angle. Or allows you to have the same position with a more open hip angle. Pretty easy. I'd like to try 160's myself.
Old 03-22-16, 08:50 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,904 Times in 2,539 Posts
Bike weights matter very little on the track. They never go uphill except to gain height on the banking and much of the reason they do that is to either place themselves where that weight will be used to advantage accelerating as they come off the banking or the rider wants to slow down sharply to force the rider behind to take the lead, again being about to recoup that speed for free coming back down behind the rider he has just forced to pass. Sprinters esp value both stiffness and strength a lot and in general, more of either adds weight. (Track sprinters are the heavyweight wrestlers of the bike world. I've known some whose thighs matched my waist.)

Ben
Old 03-22-16, 09:00 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
two questions

my understanding is that track sprinters value aero and stiffness over weight. it's not uncommon for them to weigh 20 lbs, is that right? is weight really that insignificant?
Several reasons:

Longer crank arms are great for climbing. Roadies climb. There are no hills on the track.

Roadies usually grind at lower RPMs than the cruising cadences that track racers hold. Cruising RPMs in a peloton are like 80-100 RPM. In a track points race, the cruising RPMs are like 100-110 RPM and sprints are 120-130 RPM.

Most importantly:
Roadies have gears, so they shift their way into maintaining the right amount of torque for a given effort as they increase speed. Trackies don't have gears, so they have to regulate speed with cadence. It's easier to regulate cadence (and spin faster) with shorter cranks than longer cranks.

It's not a weight or stiffness thing at all.
Old 03-22-16, 09:12 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Bike weights matter very little on the track. They never go uphill except to gain height on the banking and much of the reason they do that is to either place themselves where that weight will be used to advantage accelerating as they come off the banking or the rider wants to slow down sharply to force the rider behind to take the lead, again being about to recoup that speed for free coming back down behind the rider he has just forced to pass. Sprinters esp value both stiffness and strength a lot and in general, more of either adds weight. (Track sprinters are the heavyweight wrestlers of the bike world. I've known some whose thighs matched my waist.)

Ben
yes, there's no climbing, but what about accelerations?
Old 03-22-16, 09:33 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Look at the differences between climbing and acceleration and that will answer your questions.
Old 03-23-16, 08:22 AM
SprintzNKiloz

Bikes: LOOK 675, Dolan DF4, Casati Gold Line, Litespeed Classic, Felt TR2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My fitter is super into the "shorter cranks = better" for most people. For me it was a matter of lessening deadspots. I am short and have short legs but OLD roadie habits had me riding 172.5s on the road. Once I started racing track w 165s, the differences were noticeable once he got my fit sorted on both bikes. Much earlier engagement in the pedal stroke with shorter cranks for me.
Old 03-23-16, 08:27 AM
andr0id

Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
two questions

You use a short crank arm on a track bike so that so your pedal doesn't hit the upside of the bank when you're riding at a walking pace for a matched sprint.

All the other "reasons" about short cranks making your faster or whatever are speculative hooey.
Old 03-23-16, 08:46 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by andr0id
You use a short crank arm on a track bike so that so your pedal doesn't hit the upside of the bank when you're riding at a walking pace for a matched sprint.

All the other "reasons" about short cranks making your faster or whatever are speculative hooey.
I've known people who use 172.5s on 43-deg banks and have never pedal struck; and I also know that most tracks are not that steep. So banking can't be a great reason.

And, since shorter cranks can accommodate a more aerodynamic position with a hip angle sufficient to generate power, I don't know if you can call increasing your power:cda relationship 'speculative hooey.'
Old 03-23-16, 09:00 AM
andr0id

Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
I've known people who use 172.5s on 43-deg banks and have never pedal struck; and I also know that most tracks are not that steep. So banking can't be a great reason.
Then they have a high BB. My 170's will hit at the Superdrome if I'm going slow enough and it's only 44/45 degrees.
Old 03-23-16, 10:25 AM
wens

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andr0id
Then they have a high BB. My 170's will hit at the Superdrome if I'm going slow enough and it's only 44/45 degrees.
Or they're good at leaning the bike over away from the banking...
Old 03-23-16, 10:46 AM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wens
Or they're good at leaning the bike over away from the banking...
I actually think tapping the track with a pedal should be a mandatory drill for newbies. When I rode Giordana last year, I tapped the track with 170's to get a feel for the steepness and felt comfortable with riding 172.5's after that.
Old 03-23-16, 11:21 AM
wens

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
. Maybe certain tracks , but I wouldn't want to be the person getting new riders to tap something as step steep as cleveland , because there's just not much main margin for error . I also don't think you even could do this still drill at a lot of wood tracks , yu slide before you arrive strike .
Old 03-23-16, 11:40 AM
SprintzNKiloz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dunderhi
I actually think tapping the track with a pedal should be a mandatory drill for newbies. When I rode Giordana last year, I tapped the track with 170's to get a feel for the steepness and felt comfortable with riding 172.5's after that.
I rode Giordana with 165s in March to recon for Nats and had ZERO issues then at Nats I tapped twice in my match sprint rounds. DOH.
Old 03-23-16, 11:42 AM
SprintzNKiloz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also RE shorter cranks I will second what QP says as my fitter could quantify to a degree the watt delta between short cranks vs long cranks. Not hooey at all.
Old 03-23-16, 12:30 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SprintzNKiloz
My fitter is super into the "shorter cranks = better" for most people. For me it was a matter of lessening deadspots. I am short and have short legs but OLD roadie habits had me riding 172.5s on the road. Once I started racing track w 165s, the differences were noticeable once he got my fit sorted on both bikes. Much earlier engagement in the pedal stroke with shorter cranks for me.
yes, I understand shorter cranks are of greater benefit to shorter people, when speaking in the context of 170-175 cranks. may i ask how tall you are and inseam?
Old 03-23-16, 12:32 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SprintzNKiloz
Also RE shorter cranks I will second what QP says as my fitter could quantify to a degree the watt delta between short cranks vs long cranks. Not hooey at all.
what was the delta?
Old 03-23-16, 01:47 PM
SprintzNKiloz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing massive... 10 watts or so.
Old 03-23-16, 01:49 PM
SprintzNKiloz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, to your other question. Inseam = 28" and height is 5'6" so I for sure fall into the having a lot to gain using shorter cranks perhaps.
Old 03-23-16, 01:51 PM
Baby Puke

I have reason to believe the GB sprinters have been using cranks shorter than 165 for some time. And some of them are pretty tall. But as with all this stuff, use what you like. It's just for fun.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.