Old 12-04-18, 08:49 PM
tinrobot
Spit out the back

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

Frogtown is not safe. Atwater is adjacent to Glendale, so any crazy Glendale drivers would spill over to Atwater.

La Canada is nice, with nice hills for climbing, easy cycling access to the Rose Bowl and Pasadena. (In pasadena you can ride with the Retro Velo folks, in spite of their name they welcome all riders). La Canada is close to the Glendale Freeway (Highway 2). The Glendale Freeway will take you right to Echo Park (via Glendale Blvd.) From there it is just a short drive to USC.

I rode and drove in the area for many years.

Frog town is gentrifying very, very rapidly. Still rough around the edges, but there's already several new apartment/condo complexes, with more on the way. Lots of artist's lofts and creative businesses are moving in. Also a bunch of new restaurants, including Spoke, La Columbe, and Salazar, among others. It's looking like Echo Park right before it popped.

Atwater is close enough to the river trail to avoid traffic and the neighborhood vibe is much closer to Silver Lake than Glendale. People who can't afford Silver Lake tend to spill over into Atwater. Once past the tracks, however, you're in Glendale. Avoid Glendale!

I agree, La Canada can be nice (though expensive). However, the commute from La Canada to USC would still be tough during rush hour. The 2 backs up well into Eagle Rock every morning, and then you still have to get through downtown.
Old 12-04-18, 09:34 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by tinrobot
Frog town is gentrifying very, very rapidly. Still rough around the edges, but there's already several new apartment/condo complexes, with more on the way. Lots of artist's lofts and creative businesses are moving in. Also a bunch of new restaurants, including Spoke, La Columbe, and Salazar, among others. It's looking like Echo Park right before it popped.

Atwater is close enough to the river trail to avoid traffic and the neighborhood vibe is much closer to Silver Lake than Glendale. People who can't afford Silver Lake tend to spill over into Atwater. Once past the tracks, however, you're in Glendale. Avoid Glendale!

I agree, La Canada can be nice (though expensive). However, the commute from La Canada to USC would still be tough during rush hour. The 2 backs up well into Eagle Rock every morning, and then you still have to get through downtown.
I agrre with most of what you wrote.

I disagree about Frogtown, the crime rate is still unacceptable. The gang culture is still strong. I wouldn’t recommend it to a woman who is only planning to live in the area for six months or less.
Old 12-05-18, 02:15 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Downtown LA, like downtowns around the country are being heavily gentrified. If cost is no object its the most convenient, with the cheapest and quickest (bus/train), access to USC. There are also new living spaces in and around the university being constructed at this very moment.

BTW, is OP even still here?
Old 12-05-18, 08:09 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
LA traffic has nothing on Chicago, LOL. Pasadena Freeway thru downtown is no cakewalk, even when I lived in LA 38 years ago.

Consider
  • Living nearby the campus in mid-Wilshire or Koreatown and heading out of LA on weekend excursions.
  • Commuting via Metro from Long Beach/South Bay.
Old 12-07-18, 05:37 PM
chicagogal

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for all of the suggestions!

I will probably drive to work rather than commute by bike, so I want to live somewhere were the drive is reasonable. But I also want to be able to do some early morning or evening rides from home. I am not really excited about the idea of driving to a remote start ride early in the morning, driving home to shower, and then still having to drive to work.

Therefore, I am looking for a neighborhood that has reasonable access to good cycling routes.

I am happy to drive somewhere on the weekends to join a group ride.

I am also hoping to keep cost a minimum, but still be safe in the neighborhood.

I don't live in chicago anymore, but used to live on the north side.
Old 12-08-18, 10:31 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I would check out the Metro map and live near a metro station so you can skip the driving experience altogether. https://www.discoverlosangeles.com/b...public-transit Something near Culver City would give you a direct shot to USC and you can probably find something "affordable" there. Get yourself a little e-scooter to get to and from the station (although the expo station is a tiny walk to the USC campus)

You can live just about anywhere on the west side (Manhattan Beach, El Segundo, Playa Del Rey, Venice, Marina del Rey, Santa Monica) and get to USC using surface streets. I lived in Playa when I was at grad school at USC and the drive was pretty predictable.

Palos Verdes would be nice if you can swing it, with great riding right outside your front door.
Old 12-09-18, 07:14 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
How about going directly to USC Student Affairs? Sounds like you're not an undergrad. But still Student Affairs would be a place where I would contact for your concerns.

https://studentaffairs.usc.edu/campus-resources/
Old 12-09-18, 01:04 PM
Bingod

Bikes: Giant Anyroad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by chicagogal
Thanks for all of the suggestions!

I will probably drive to work rather than commute by bike, so I want to live somewhere were the drive is reasonable. But I also want to be able to do some early morning or evening rides from home. I am not really excited about the idea of driving to a remote start ride early in the morning, driving home to shower, and then still having to drive to work.

Therefore, I am looking for a neighborhood that has reasonable access to good cycling routes.

I am happy to drive somewhere on the weekends to join a group ride.

I am also hoping to keep cost a minimum, but still be safe in the neighborhood.

I don't live in chicago anymore, but used to live on the north side.

Take a look at a map of the Exposition (Expo) Line - it crosses LA east to west, from downtown LA to Santa Monica and stops at the gates of USC. You can put your bike on it or take a Bird to the closest stop. As suggested Culver City is en route - which is a pretty cool neighborhood and also the beginning of Ballona Creek Bike Path - this will take you to Marina Del Rey and from there its rolls south to Manhattan Beach , Hermosa and on to Palos Verdes - which is a cycle world unto itself. Alternatley at the Marina head north to Venice, Santa Monica and on to PCH, Topanga Canyon and the Santa Monica Mtns. All excellent riding.
Old 12-09-18, 02:17 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Bingod
Take a look at a map of the Exposition (Expo) Line - it crosses LA east to west, from downtown LA to Santa Monica and stops at the gates of USC. You can put your bike on it or take a Bird to the closest stop. As suggested Culver City is en route - which is a pretty cool neighborhood and also the beginning of Ballona Creek Bike Path - this will take you to Marina Del Rey and from there its rolls south to Manhattan Beach , Hermosa and on to Palos Verdes - which is a cycle world unto itself. Alternatley at the Marina head north to Venice, Santa Monica and on to PCH, Topanga Canyon and the Santa Monica Mtns. All excellent riding.
These are many of my well trodden paths. Especially Ballona Creek. My only negative is all the traffic in between.
Old 12-13-18, 04:18 PM
bikingbill

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 26, Brompton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
LA has a mass transit system. USC is on the Expo line and that connects to the subways in downtown and goes all the way to the Santa Monica Pier.

My suggestion, get a good folder (i.e. a Brompton) and do multi-model. You can live in a nice beach community or affordable downtown and get to USC on the train with short bike rides.

Currently, I spend 3 days a week in LA, using Amtrak from San Diego and the subway to get to Studio City with the bike covering the last few miles. Stay in a AirBnB during the week.
Old 12-14-18, 07:56 AM
chicagogal

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
How about going directly to USC Student Affairs? Sounds like you're not an undergrad. But still Student Affairs would be a place where I would contact for your concerns.

https://studentaffairs.usc.edu/campus-resources/
thanks, but I am definitely not a student and far from the constituency that student affairs caters to.
Old 12-14-18, 12:39 PM
roadfix
hello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
My daughter is a recruiter for the Law School at SC and commutes daily from Sherman Oaks. She hates the driving to and from. She always tells me she wished she lived where I live..... Echo Park.
Old 12-15-18, 10:12 PM
VinceB

Bikes: 2013 Trek 7.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bingod
Let me be the third (fourth?) one to recommend this plan. I'll add that in addition to the above, the Expo line also features a decent bike path, so you could ride all the way to USC frequently, and just use the train as a backup on the mechanical/too tired/bad weather* days.

* Both of the rainy days