Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ultegra 6800 front derailleur trim shift

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-19, 07:59 AM
silverado8405

Bikes: 2007 Trek 820, 2014 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Friend has a 6800 groupset that has an issue with the trim shift that I haven’t been able to figure out. On the small ring the trim shift will click but it won’t move the derailleur, however in the the big ring it works like planned. My initial thought was lack of cable tension so I adjusted the cable to where the trim shift worked on the small ring only to discover it has now stopped working on the larger ring, again making the click as though it’s doing something but not actually moving.

Re adjusted the cable tension to get the trim working on the large ring and said oh well to the small ring trim. Any thoughts or suggestions? It’s really odd to me that I can only get it working on one ring or the other.
Old 05-09-19, 08:29 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Two things I would do: 1) pull the cable out of the shifter for several inches to be certain there is no frayed strand
in the shifter. 2) liberally spray WD40 or similar solvent into the shifter works preferably with cable
removed and work it a lot, then relube with something longer lasting than WD40 but not so thick as to be a cold
weather problem.
Old 05-09-19, 09:18 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Did you re-adjust the cable tension by the inline adjuster or by loosening the cable hold down on the DR and changing where the cable is held?

Shimano has a pretty specific procedure for securing the cable. Note that when doing so they tell you to make certain the outer chain guide of the DR should be lined up with the big ring. Securing the cable and adjusting begins at page 13. Perhaps superstition is a thing and the starting page number prevents anyone ever correctly adjusting their front DR <grin>

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-FD0002-05-ENG.pdf
Old 05-09-19, 12:05 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Yes, the 11 speed has a different set up, you can't do it like we used too. I have to read the instructions each time....
Old 05-09-19, 03:36 PM
silverado8405

A new cable was put on last year, the trim didn’t work right before the new cable and continued to not work right after. I adjusted the tension with the pinch bolt. I’ll have to read thru the manual while looking at his bike to see if something is put together wrong. Thanks for all the feedback!
Old 05-09-19, 04:17 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by silverado8405
A new cable was put on last year, the trim didn’t work right before the new cable and continued to not work right after. I adjusted the tension with the pinch bolt. I’ll have to read thru the manual while looking at his bike to see if something is put together wrong. Thanks for all the feedback!
One thing I found while adjusting my trim is that it will make a difference if you fasten the cable on the outside of the cable fixing bolt or on the inside of the fixing bolt. It should correctly be run up inside the fixing bolt and between the converter pins. See page 13 of the aforementioned PDF.

You can also try changing the converter to either on or off (if its already set one way, try it the other) This converter is supposed to help with fine tune adjustment based on the routing of the FD cable. I have found that if the converter on doesn't work then changing it off helps give a little bit more adjustment in regards to the trim.

-Sean
Old 05-09-19, 05:08 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
And are you positive that the FD is 6800. A lot of mfr's take a few liberties and sometimes don't use all components from the same groupset. You might have a FD from another group or even mfr.

FD 6800 and FD 5800 and FD 4700 have that little plastic gizmo you stick in it to determine whether you need to flip the converter.
Old 05-09-19, 07:02 PM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
The trim function is in the shifter, not the derailleur. I would release the tension and confirm that the shifter is still hitting all 4 points. If it is then shift to the lowest point (full release), adjust the low limit at the derailleur, reattach the cable, and then test. Might also want to replace the cable.

If the shifter isn't hitting all 4 shift points, then it may be a bike shop repair job to fix the internals, or a new shifter.
Old 05-09-19, 09:26 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
If the lower trim works with some cable tension let out at the expense of the big ring trim, the cable may not be routed correctly. I made a set up video for the first generation 11 speed front derailleurs that may be helpful.

Old 05-09-19, 10:35 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by silverado8405
Friend has a 6800 groupset that has an issue with the trim shift that I haven’t been able to figure out. On the small ring the trim shift will click but it won’t move the derailleur, however in the the big ring it works like planned. My initial thought was lack of cable tension so I adjusted the cable to where the trim shift worked on the small ring only to discover it has now stopped working on the larger ring, again making the click as though it’s doing something but not actually moving.

Re adjusted the cable tension to get the trim working on the large ring and said oh well to the small ring trim. Any thoughts or suggestions? It’s really odd to me that I can only get it working on one ring or the other.
Its the limit screws, H L or both, that are set too tight. This limits the cage from adequate articulation and you only get trim in either high or low. Just redo the complete setup and you be fine.

EDIT: As Joey said before .. :-)

Last edited by Racing Dan; 05-09-19 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-10-19, 06:14 AM
silverado8405

Trying to respond without quoting as it doesn’t work so well on my phone.

1) shifter makes the movement in all 4 positions as best I can tell. Doesn’t mean it isn’t screwed up though.

2) Bike is a Cervelo S5, the cable routing to the front mech comes out of the frame at a strange angle and like bends around the cage when on the small ring to get up to the pinch bolt. I’m not a professional mechanic but first glance it looked really odd to me.

3) I can try resetting it up, I think best bet is for me to pick up a new front cable and start fresh.

4) This may be a problem where multiple little things all add up to one odd issue.

5) I’m getting the feeling I’ll save more time and effort in the long run by taking this to my ace mechanic instead of the one who he’s been having play with it.

Thanks again for all the help everyone.
Old 05-10-19, 06:39 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
FWIW, on both my 5800 and 6800 shifters, low trim isn’t nearly as apparent or crisp as top trim. On big ring, the trim adjustment is crisp and obvious when I hit the lever. For low trim adjustment, its much less apparent and really easy to over shift right past the second setting and wind up on the big ring.
Old 05-10-19, 06:45 AM
rayooo

Bikes: Superfly-9.6, Domane-4.5 Emonda-SLR 9

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS
FWIW, on both my 5800 and 6800 shifters, low trim isn’t nearly as apparent or crisp as top trim. On big ring, the trim adjustment is crisp and obvious when I hit the lever. For low trim adjustment, its much less apparent and really easy to over shift right past the second setting and wind up on the big ring.
Same on mine (Ultegra) and it is possible to miss adjust things such that the low trim is virtually non existent. It took me awhile to get a proper setup, some trial-and-error. (ok many) I did finally get things sorted.