Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Carbo folding ebike

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Carbo folding ebike

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-18, 12:38 AM
minbikemaxfun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carbo folding ebike

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/carbo-the-world-s-lightest-folding-electric-bike

What do you all think about this? I might wait until they start shipping, just in case it's another situation where backers have to wait a few more years due to unforeseen delays.

They say it is ultra light. One page mentions it is 12.9 kg / 28.44 lbs, but I'm not sure exactly which configuration they weighed. I'm sure if you add extra batteries or a belt drive hub, it will add weight.

Last edited by minbikemaxfun; 10-19-18 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-19-18, 02:04 AM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The belt version is the one that they claim is the lightest. This bike uses a rear hub motor so you only have the choice of external gearing or single speed. But... they say this is only in prototype phase. A lot can happen between there and production especially with ebikes. Also, they claim to have lots of experience with ebikes and carbon but they don't elaborate or provide examples. Not sure what to make of that.
Old 10-19-18, 08:41 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
The lightest weight is a single-speed version with a belt drive, with a max 30 mile range and a price of $1499 plus shipping. All of this then relies on a hub motor for propulsion. I would avoid a hub motor and go for a mid-drive and multi-speed instead. I have both types and there is a world of difference. The hub motor simply revolves the wheel and has little linear relationship to the input of the rider, a mid-drive essentially amplifies the riders input to the crank and gives you full access to the range gears so that you can use that power for speed, hill climbing, or anything in between. Therefore, the mid-drive is significantly more efficient (I get about a 50-mile range on my 37 lb. 9-speed FireFly).
Old 06-03-19, 04:41 PM
ward00

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.ridecarbo.com/ So why is it this crowdfunded bike that has just started shipping not getting any buzz on this site. Seems just as noteworthy in terms of price as the Helix, and perhaps more worthy since it is close to the same weight but with electric drive?
Old 06-03-19, 08:38 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 122 Posts
Pinigis, your site does not give any info on the motor, battery, sensor type. Really, your specs treats it as a conventional bike.
Old 06-04-19, 12:07 PM
ward00

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not doubting the experience with the FireFly, but 37 pounds just does not cut it as a folder for me. The whole point with my love of folders is that I can carry them up stairs easily. The 27 pounds the Carbo bike seems like its the first one that is in the ball park of usability for this purpose. Have not bought one (yet), but sure seems like a candidate for more discussion on this board than it has occurred up to this point.
Old 06-04-19, 12:50 PM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
Pinigis, your site does not give any info on the motor, battery, sensor type. Really, your specs treats it as a conventional bike.
Good point! I will update the information soon.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 08-08-19, 03:00 PM
bikeforumKEN

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not an ebike but the carbon folder ATTO by austincycles dot cc is sure nice too. 8.2kg, for their single speed.
Old 08-09-19, 09:34 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by ward00
Not doubting the experience with the FireFly, but 37 pounds just does not cut it as a folder for me. The whole point with my love of folders is that I can carry them up stairs easily. The 27 pounds the Carbo bike seems like its the first one that is in the ball park of usability for this purpose. Have not bought one (yet), but sure seems like a candidate for more discussion on this board than it has occurred up to this point.
My bike friday pakit with onemotor system is 23.5lbs. I completely understand how you feel - the point of a folder is the ability to fold and carry or lift it. I see 40-50-and even 60lb folding ebikes and just roll my eyes. Like the Blix+. If you can't make it lightweight, then just make it a regular bike.