Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Please voice your opinons on this bike/company...

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Please voice your opinons on this bike/company...

Old 10-02-07, 06:17 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 137 Posts
This is simple. Pay attention to the posters that have first hand experience with a particular product or retailer and consider that what others have to say is hearsay and less reliable. Being an offbeat sport, cycling has always attracted a disproportionate number of people with "issues". You can't help them, and they will drag you down...but only if you let them. Give them a wide berth.

I bought 2 bikes from BD and am very happy with them. One is a Record equipped Bottecchia and the other is a 105 equipped Windsor.
Old 10-02-07, 06:28 AM
dekindy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fixedup
whoa, someones an internet creep with too much time. If you spent that much time looking at my posts why didnt you read the one I just posted saying I never looked at anything on that site BUT the three or four fixed gear bikes, NEVER looked at the road bikes, like I stated EARLIER. Jeez all you roadies are so pretentious.
BTW - Welcome to the forums!

I feel your pain. A real (not a shill since he lives near me and I have met him in person, seen his bike, and he is now a friend that I ride with occasionally) new roadie (also does triathlons) made the same mistake of joining roadbikereview.com forums and started posting about his bikesdirect purchase experience - he had already made the decision to buy and had placed his order.

Needless to say he got drilled by the roadbikereview forum members. I was also unaware of "the controversy". I am a long time road bike rider but was new to cycling forums since I just started riding again regularly July 06' and my previous riding was prior to internet/forums. I was really angry about the way he was treated. They ended up moving his thread to their Motobecane/Mercier section. I did not understand because his thread was about the process he was going through buying a bike on-line. It could have been any brand, it just happened to be BikesDirect.com.

So the moral is, don't get too down on the members here. They are not any worse than other forums. Please don't get discouraged and keep participating. You just have to wade through the b.s. and learn who is guessing or biased and who really knows what they are talking about. There is a learning curve on participating in forums, just like anything else.

The search function is sometimes very useful. If you have tried to find what you are looking for you might indicate that in your post and what you tried. Experienced members may be able to direct you to more useful search terms for what you are looking for or most of the time will be nice and help you.

If you find someone particularly obnoxious, consult the ignore list on the user control panel. Putting a listing or two there could do wonders for your moral and enjoyment of the site. It worked for me and I was grateful that someone, I think it was a moderator, educated me on this.
Old 10-02-07, 06:46 AM
Bontrager

Bikes: Road, MTB, Folding, Commuting bikes...

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BrianC636
My opinion, not that it means much, on BD is very good so far.

I just got my road bike from them $1095 (full ultegra, Mercier). When it came in it has 2 bent spokes (UPS damage) and a blown rear tube (not sure how that happened). I called them the same day to get repair parts. They sent them to me in a timely manor and at no charge. For what I have, I’m glad I bought from them.
Is it me or is there something fishy about a new user with only 1 post posting in defense of BD with a font that looks like it's been copied and pasted from somewhere else?
Old 10-02-07, 06:49 AM
Bontrager

Bikes: Road, MTB, Folding, Commuting bikes...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikesdirect_com
You should google 'how google works'
and learn more about the search engine before making assumptions

We pay for and get over 500,000 impressions per day
those result in thousands of click thrus per day

we have a list of search terms we 'bid' on
and most road bike, mountain bike, tri bike, and track bike terms are included

try 'road bike' - several times any day
most of the time you will see our ad

same is true on yahoo, msn, and ask
dcbikeguy pwned by BD - I love it!!!!
Old 10-02-07, 07:02 AM
Idioteque

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you're just being defensive now dcbikeguy do you own a BD bike btw?

i do, two of them, a motobecane champ SL and a windsor the hour. Probably going to upgrade from the windsor soon because i want something nicer, but i don't complain about my 1,100 road bike that weighs 16.5 lbs and sports a pair of american classic 420s. at an lbs i'd get a low end 105 bike for the price that weighs about 20 lbs.
Old 10-02-07, 07:17 AM
dcbikeguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Idioteque
Yes.

F*ck no. I have a successful business and can buy something better. Stay in school son and one day you will be able to afford better too. And please pay attention in English class.

i do, two of them, a motobecane champ SL and a windsor the hour. Probably going to upgrade from the windsor soon because i want something nicer, but i don't complain about my 1,100 road bike that weighs 16.5 lbs and sports a pair of american classic 420s. at an lbs i'd get a low end 105 bike for the price that weighs about 20 lbs.
Good for you - I think that's wonderful.

Originally Posted by Bontrager
dcbikeguy pwned by BD - I love it!!!!
What? They must have a better brand of crack out there in Kansas.

And, I am not really a BD hater - I have posted picks of BD bikes that I like quite a few times (look at post #37 in your thread Idioteque - https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=347016).

This extremely vocal BD minority on this forum seems to want my *ss now - well, come and get it boys. I'll drop trou for you right now.
Old 10-02-07, 07:19 AM
dcbikeguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
This is simple. Pay attention to the posters that have first hand experience with a particular product or retailer and consider that what others have to say is hearsay and less reliable. Being an offbeat sport, cycling has always attracted a disproportionate number of people with "issues". You can't help them, and they will drag you down...but only if you let them. Give them a wide berth.

I bought 2 bikes from BD and am very happy with them. One is a Record equipped Bottecchia and the other is a 105 equipped Windsor.
So everyone who doesn't agree with you has "issues"?

You would fit in well here in my town.
Old 10-02-07, 07:39 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by dcbikeguy
So everyone who doesn't agree with you has "issues"?

You would fit in well here in my town.
"F*ck no. I have a successful business and can buy something better. Stay in school son and one day you will be able to afford better too. And please pay attention in English class.

What? They must have a better brand of crack out there in Kansas.

And, I am not really a BD hater - I have posted picks of BD bikes that I like quite a few times (look at post #37 in your thread Idioteque - https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=347016).

This extremely vocal BD minority on this forum seems to want my *ss now - well, come and get it boys. I'll drop trou for you right now."
Old 10-02-07, 07:43 AM
dcbikeguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rest my case.
Old 10-02-07, 07:51 AM
Frugle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"Period"? You can't be serious son. I just googled "cheap road bike" and "inexpensive road bike" and BD didn't come up once (NOT ONCE!) in the first four pages of hits. What did come up several times however, was this forum. Hmmmm, now what can we conclude from this...woops, there I go being Barney again
I'm not here to support BD in any way, but it is just called effective advertising... first try... cheap road bikes hit on first page...who cares if they are any good or not.... if you've got first page people will inquire.

Old 10-02-07, 07:55 AM
dcbikeguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. I did research for Mike - he bought a few more search terms. Where is my cut?
Old 10-02-07, 08:26 AM
rufvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. I did research for Mike - he bought a few more search terms. Where is my cut?
Once the goal of global bike supply domination is reached, Google is going to ask for a ton of money to disassociate the Moto brand from the term 'cheap'
Old 10-02-07, 08:32 AM
Derby
Gone riding...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frugle...I was going to cite the same thing.

dcbikeguy, you have to be kidding me. Do you actually think Mike went and bought more terms just because you said you couldn't find any responses to BD?

I think it is more accurate to say that you just missed the ads to the right on the google results or as Mike first indicated, you didn't try enough samples because the result list on the right is completely random.

I don't have a BD bike nor plan to purchase one but I cannot dispute the pricing...if you are price concious, this is a very viable alternative, IMO.
Old 10-02-07, 08:41 AM
dcbikeguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Derby
dcbikeguy, you have to be kidding me. Do you actually think Mike went and bought more terms just because you said you couldn't find any responses to BD?

I think it is more accurate to say that you just missed the ads to the right on the google results or as Mike first indicated, you didn't try enough samples because the result list on the right is completely random.
Believe what you want I guess. I did the searches and stand by what I posted earlier - BD was not there. Do you think I am so stupid as to post what I did while not being sure? Or that those I was arguing with didn't immediately do the same searches - and would have nailed me if I had been wrong at the time?
Old 10-02-07, 08:59 AM
buddy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a successful business and can buy something better. .
What your deal dcbikeguy? Do you own a local bike store is that why you are such an advocate for LBSs?

buddy
Old 10-02-07, 09:01 AM
Derby
Gone riding...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, I do believe that your query returned no BD results, however, you were basing it on a very small sample. This does not provide a strong case that by querying for "Cheap road bikes" does not yield BD results...that is all.

Bottom line: There is a large possibility that a potential buyer could happen across BD searching google and then looking for feedback ends up here due to their lower pricing.
Old 10-02-07, 09:03 AM
dcbikeguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buddy
What your deal dcbikeguy? Do you own a local bike store is that why you are such an advocate for LBSs?

buddy
WTF? Who the f*ck said anything about a LBS? You are forbidden from further posting on this thread. Please stop smoking crack.
Old 10-02-07, 09:07 AM
dcbikeguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, I do believe that your query returned no BD results, however, you were basing it on a very small sample. This does not provide a strong case that by querying for "Cheap road bikes" does not yield BD results...that is all.
Agreed, that was sort of the point.

Bottom line: There is a large possibility that a potential buyer could happen across BD searching google and then looking for feedback ends up here due to their lower pricing.
Absolute, and complete agreement.

Please God, let that be the case.
Old 10-02-07, 09:08 AM
rickhigbee
Crash Test Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't we all just get along...
Old 10-02-07, 09:10 AM
dcbikeguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rickhigbee
Can't we all just get along...
Wooooooohhhooooooo!!!

Old 10-02-07, 09:11 AM
buddy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WTF? Who the f*ck said anything about a LBS? You are forbidden from further posting on this thread. Please stop smoking crack.

Why do you have such a hatred of BD? Do you have an interest in LBS either as an employee or owner? Do you have the authority to forbid me from posting on this thread?

And no I don't smoke crack.
buddy
Old 10-02-07, 09:14 AM
dcbikeguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why do you have such a hatred of BD? Do you have an interest in LBS either as an employee or owner? Do you have the authority to forbid me from posting on this thread?

And no I don't smoke crack.
buddy
I just don't have the patience to slow things down to your speed. God bless.
Old 10-02-07, 09:25 AM
wanders
going roundy round

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
... Do you have the authority to forbid me from posting on this thread?
Old 10-02-07, 09:36 AM
dcbikeguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wanders
https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...6&postcount=47
Old 10-02-07, 11:00 AM
Road_Biker
Goggles & Doo-rag ready!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too am a BD shill. My Winsor Tourist (54cm) has the same dimensions as a Fuji Touring bike (the Windsor web site dimensions are off). I didn't have to travel 50 miles to buy one, or have someone try to talk me out of buying a touring bike either. I expect had I wanted to return the bike, it would have been less difficult overall than going back to a LBS.

Not to say that every LBS is a pain to deal with. I frequent a couple that are really pleasant. They don't sell Trek or Fuji or Cannondale though. Those LBS are more difficult to deal with. I like to think getting involved in some group rides through a club or other organization might make dealing with those LBS who sell Trek's, Cannondale's, and Fuji's easier.

I was going to spend $1k on a Trek 1500, but the LBS guy that I talked with says, "oh yea, you need to make an appointment. Bring your exercise clothes and we'll fit you." This was after trying to steer me towards another bike. Not in my lifetime, were my thoughts. I expect everyone is different and has different expectation.

No, a Windsor tourist won't have the resale value of a Trek, or Cannondale, or Fuji. There is no snob appeal, either. I know that and hope others recognize that as well. But, after a Brooks B17 seat, Continental Contact tires, fenders, Cateye wireless computer, Sigman HRM, Cateye halogen headlight (w/Sears LED), Sunlite LED taillight, and Topeak Road Morph-G, the price was less than a Fuji touring. Plus, it arrived at my door (although I did have to sign for it which was a pain).

I looked around last year for a road bike and actually considered going to DC (~360 mi) to see one. While buying the BD Windsor Tourist was a risk knowing nothing about the company, the bike has exceeded my expectations. BD also clued me into the Parks MTB-3 tool at a discount. Bikes direct is a good mail order bicycle company.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.