Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

eBay Track Bicylce SS/Fixed plus lots of questions!

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-08, 08:13 PM
JRobertson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This guy is posting about 20 of these a day for 1 day auctions, new. They don't have a brand, but look fairly decent. I have no more than $300 dollars to buy a solid, reliable SS road bike to replace my car when I go back to college in the fall. Would this be an alright bike for now, and slowly build it up over the years? Or would you recommend something else?

https://cgi.ebay.com/58cm-Track-Fixed...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm looking at this, a Scattante Americano, or an older used bike. I'm concerned about the initial reliability of a cheap used road bike. Any specific older brands/models to go hunting for? Any others I should look into? If I had about $250 more, I would have like a 100 more options, but college is expensive.

What about the Scattante Americano? I've read mixed reviews. What I'm concerned about mostly, besides reliability (I like to bomb hills worry free), is frame/fork quality. I can slowly upgrade this over the years. Would this fit the bill?
Old 06-12-08, 08:17 PM
awristawful
not aristotle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
repost
don't buy it
Old 06-12-08, 08:33 PM
JRobertson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
repost?
Old 06-12-08, 08:36 PM
lordgold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He means this has been talked about 10000 times before. They're pieces of ****, don't buy one.
Old 06-12-08, 08:57 PM
JRobertson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could you be specific about which is a piece of ****? Could you give any other answers?
Old 06-12-08, 10:47 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
I said this in the other thread about these bikes--------I wouldn't let a friend ride it and would encourage them to look for alternatives. You get what you pay for....

For $300 you can get something from Bikesdirect.com delivered to your door. Look into the Windsor Hour, the Motobecane Messenger or the Mercier Kilo TT. Any one of them is better than that bike on eBay. It really must be a POS if he is unloading them so cheaply.
Old 06-13-08, 01:11 PM
JRobertson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok. Be honest guys. Disregard any notions of hip brands, cosmetics, resale value, anything other than reliability and quality:

Would it REALLY be worth 200 extra dollars to get something along the lines of a Raleigh Rush Hour, IRO, or Redline 925...versus a Scattante Americano or Motobecane Messenger?

I might be able to scrap the extra money together if I sell the catalytic converter out of my pos car and the car for scrap metal...I'll have to see.
Old 06-13-08, 11:53 PM
bigbris1
One skid from blown knees

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had to register for this one

After 10 years w/o a fix (NYC messenger back then) I decided to get back in the game. My first instinct was to go to ebay but something seemed off about these bikes. I went to my LBS & tried the Fuji Track 2008. I like it, it's light, holds my 265lb frame, de**** components & no toe overlap-it felt right. At $459 it was reasonable but I'm cheap.

After some research I just purchased the Windsor The Hour from BD for $299 shipped which is the same bike. When it comes I will spray it flat black & have a good re-entry point. Those ebay bikes are about $249 + $50 shipping so you might as well do the Windsor unless you need a smaller size (BD currently only has 61s & 64s). I'm 6'4" so that works for me. Site says new stock in July so why not wait it out?
Old 06-13-08, 11:58 PM
A3rd.Zero
my dad can still crush me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As I haven't ridden or even sen the Scattante Americano or the Motobecane Messenger I can't speak to their quality.

What makes you think that Redline is more hip than Motobecane?

At the $300-$500 mark the differences of a hundred dollars or so is not usually in components or in quality of the frame but rather the distributable volume of a certain brand. IRO can't push as many frames as Redline or Moto, so their prices will generally be a tad higher.

I own an IRO, it has been nothing but a joy to ride. I love it's looks, I love it's quality, I love the fact that the guy who owns IRO is a nice guy who works hard. I love that I can call Tony up talk to him and see how he is doing. Cycling, to me, is a grassroots thing that has more to do with the people involved than the steel, rubber, and grease that make it possible.

In terms of reliability and quality: I have owned my IRO for about 4 years, nothing has ever gone wrong with it. It has taken a horrendous beating, and after being racked for six months, I took her down put some air in the tires, flicked the chain to check tension and went riding. I have ridden Colnagos, Tommasinis, Cannondales, Paramounts, Handbuilt frames, etc. and I enjoy my IRO just as much. It's different than the expensive bikes sure, and it's a bit more blue collar and straight to the point, but I like that.
Old 06-14-08, 06:12 AM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
the only people that list this bike more than the seller on ebay are the people who don't know enough about them to spend their money elsewhere and post here for advice.

i've seen the ebay special as well as americano and the messenger in person and it's easy to see that the motobecane is a quality bike like the IRO. you're going to spend money on it eventually on tires and tubes if not components so just spend it up front for a kilo, hour, or iro in the first place and be happier longer.
Old 06-14-08, 10:39 AM
JRobertson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I think from what you guys are saying, I'll go with the Motobecane...and If I can sell my car for scarp metal I'll get the Raleigh or IRO. Thanks.
Old 06-14-08, 08:03 PM
kidrobot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
after years/months reading how the Windsor "the hour" was POS, it's funny that you guys actually pick something over it. This eBay bike must be a real POS.
Old 06-14-08, 08:31 PM
gargiulo.mike
skinning up

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get a mercier kilo tt
Old 06-14-08, 08:48 PM
pirate golf
MTN Bikin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kidrobot
after years/months reading how the Windsor "the hour" was POS, it's funny that you guys actually pick something over it. This eBay bike must be a real POS.
Most stuff I've read about the Hour wasn't bad. The Mercier does seem to be a far more popular choice though.
Old 06-14-08, 11:20 PM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i hadn't actually seen one but it's the same frame as a fuji track so it was really just that for 100 dollars more you can get better cranks, saddle, and small components on the fuji.

but now that i've seen both in person the windsor is a great buy and more of a 'track bike' than anything below the kilo tt's price point, by leaps and bounds. great bike with IMO awesome graphics.
Old 06-15-08, 04:05 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Three years ago, nearly everyone on this forum condemned the Bike Direct entries (Mercier, Motobecane, Windsor, etc), as POSs. They were new, unfamilar, with prices that seemed to good to be true and everyone assumed they were crap. Now, ironically, everyone thinks they are awesome bikes and its cool to own one. The fact is, they are not awesome bikes...they are decent frames with crap components that most people upgrade. They are initially a good bargain, but inevitably get more expensive once you start down the path of upgrades.

A lot of people here are sheep...they just repeat crap they read without having any real knowledge or ability to judge something for what it is. Most posters above assume its total crap and even provide an "expert" opinion, but they really have no clue. This new ebay special is simply less familiar and it has not yet been accepted as cool. To me, it doesn't look much different than a BD entry and until people post real feedback about it, theres no reason to think its any better or worse.

Last edited by mihlbach; 06-15-08 at 04:34 AM.
Old 06-15-08, 05:57 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach
Three years ago, nearly everyone on this forum condemned the Bike Direct entries (Mercier, Motobecane, Windsor, etc), as POSs. They were new, unfamilar, with prices that seemed to good to be true and everyone assumed they were crap. Now, ironically, everyone thinks they are awesome bikes and its cool to own one. The fact is, they are not awesome bikes...they are decent frames with crap components that most people upgrade. They are initially a good bargain, but inevitably get more expensive once you start down the path of upgrades.

A lot of people here are sheep...they just repeat crap they read without having any real knowledge or ability to judge something for what it is. Most posters above assume its total crap and even provide an "expert" opinion, but they really have no clue. This new ebay special is simply less familiar and it has not yet been accepted as cool. To me, it doesn't look much different than a BD entry and until people post real feedback about it, theres no reason to think its any better or worse.

Which is why I say Bianchi San Jose and be done with it.
Old 06-15-08, 08:03 AM
peabodypride
No plan.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that's a completely different type of bike dood
Old 06-15-08, 09:53 AM
cizzlak

Bikes: 1994 Trek 1200, 1984 Raleigh Prestige, 1980 Motobecane Grand Jubile, custom 531 track, and a bunch of tinker bikes of all type

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when you can't wait more than 2 days to buy a "track bike" what do you expect kids to do, mang? "omg they are all sold out of the kilo tt WHAT DO I CLICK ON INSTEAD?!?!" how about waiting? how about researching? jesus, and people wonder why the economy is full of AIDS. kids blow all their money on a whim just to get into a scene. remember when people blew their money on coke to be cool? sigh.
Old 06-15-08, 09:58 AM
peabodypride
No plan.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rambling rant aside, it's unreasonable to have to wait perhaps months for a Kilo
Old 06-15-08, 09:59 AM
xiamsammyx
Harbinger

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy, Old Araya fixed conversion.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cizzlak
remember when people blew their money on coke to be cool? sigh.
those were the days
Old 06-15-08, 10:05 AM
Faust1976

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With the gas prices going up, people at my job are constantly asking me about buying a new bike. They are almost always in the price range of $200-$300. I'm glad they ask me, cause most of them are thinking of swingin into a dept store, and buying the first flashy Magna they find. Fortunately, there are many place in mpls that sell awesome used bikes, and a great SS/FG can be found in that price range. You're better off buying an old Scwinn conversion than those horribly welded POS on ebay. Plus, you'll have a bike with some character.
Old 06-15-08, 02:19 PM
cizzlak

Bikes: 1994 Trek 1200, 1984 Raleigh Prestige, 1980 Motobecane Grand Jubile, custom 531 track, and a bunch of tinker bikes of all type

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it _is_ unreasonable to wait months for a Kilo. but there are many other framesets out there. sure they may not fit into everyone's budget, but isn't that what sacrifice is all about? i would think that a couple months of research, penny pinching and general planning would imbue ones-self with much more pride in the final product than just buying a no name rig off of eBay. i recall spending a couple months looking at everything from bianchi pistas to surly steamrollers to de bernardi throngs/zonals, trying to figure out what i could get for my money, and insofar how much of my money i was willing to spend. i did end up getting lucky on craigslist, and found a small-time framebuilder 531 frame in my size locally. i guess i just hate on "out of the box" solutions because i have always put a lot of my own time and effort into personalizing frames that i either convert or buy, strip, and modify myself. sure, everyone starts somewhere, but i guess i just had good dudes show me the ropes way back when; i didn't have to go it alone. god bless a good LBS (or three). i see people contemplating plugging $300 on an instant-trendy complete bike and i immediately think about all the hours spent filing, cold chiseling, hacksawing, stripping, sanding and painting frames that i have built up. to each their own, absolutely. but this is a very opinionated forum, and i relish that fact in the end, i side with everyone else who is just glad there is such an interest in people riding bikes, poopcrap or not.

cheers!
Old 06-15-08, 02:50 PM
JRobertson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cizzlak
when you can't wait more than 2 days to buy a "track bike" what do you expect kids to do, mang? "omg they are all sold out of the kilo tt WHAT DO I CLICK ON INSTEAD?!?!" how about waiting? how about researching? jesus, and people wonder why the economy is full of AIDS. kids blow all their money on a whim just to get into a scene. remember when people blew their money on coke to be cool? sigh.
I hope you're not referring to me.
Old 06-15-08, 05:02 PM
bigbris1
One skid from blown knees

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I started looking for a low budged fixed gear bike I saw those ebay specials, but then I went to the LBS & rode the Fuji Track 2008. I think it's a very solid bike, the Ritchey headset was smooth, the thredless stem looked substantial, it has decent wheels , hubs, cranks, seat. The matte gray was cool too. I just coludn't drop $500 on it.

I'm glad I found The Hour because after close inspection it is the same bike as the Fuji, just with much less decals, same cranks, hubs (black) wheels, tires, seat, seat post, handlebar, frame, fork, etc. $299 shipped is good enough to be a throw away bike if it came to that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.