Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why do some motorist hate Cyclist?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-09, 06:11 PM
leakysieve

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Six13 now Six Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was on a big organized ride, were talking like 5000 riders, and some guy was driving and honking at everybody he felt were too far in the lane or something. He was the one getting a lot of fingers.
Old 03-07-09, 06:12 PM
FormerBMX'er

Bikes: 2011 Tsunami, 2004 Fuji Team Issue and More!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Last weekend a guy who was riding shotgun with his buddy yelled out to me "Buy a Car". How the fork does a guy riding shotgun have the right to tell me to buy a car. If his buddy put him out on the side of the road he wouldn't have roller skates to get his sorry arse home.

What's even more ignorant is that I do own a car

Last edited by FormerBMX'er; 03-07-09 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-07-09, 07:07 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by Pi}{ie
Its because some cyclists are like some drivers and act like asshats that own the road. So sadly you get the situation of one of 2 types of drivers that hate cyclists. The first is the jerk who thinks the road is his, and the second is the guy who's had to deal with jerk cyclists numerous times that dont follow the rules of the road because he thinks he owns the road. Really its all about self absorbed jerks and they go by pedal and by gas.
Bingo, we have a winner. When I'm driving I dont mind the bike commuters, high schoolers riding to school, mom with the Burley, etc. Its the guys in full race kit that ride two abreast and ride in the middle of the lane that bug the crap out of me. Or the group of 20-30 bike dorks that hog the whole lane and think they have the right to do so because they are on a "training" ride. This comes from a guy who has ridden a bike for 40 years and used to think in the manner that these bike dweebs think. You aint no european racers dudes. Ride single file to the far right of the lane. Cars and the people that drive them are dangerous to your health. Learn to live with the fact you dont belong on the road.
Old 03-07-09, 07:12 PM
Romans8:28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1 out of every 10 (at least) people are sick, evil, self-absorbed a**-hats who get off being mean every chance they think they can get away with it. Cyclists are easy targets and present much amusement to the psychopaths among us.
Old 03-07-09, 07:13 PM
KidTruth

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Allez Elite, 2007 Trek 7.3 FX, 2005 generic Schwinn Mountain Bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the boonies of Houston, Texas and a common "fun thing" here seems to be for the trucks to pretend they are going to hit me head-on and then pull back between 100-500 yards of killing me.

Joy!

I think my favorite moment with a pedestrian was being chuckled at by an overweight, very red-faced man who was lounging in a golf cart. His obvious discomfort at being outdoors made the moment a double-irony bonus.
Old 03-07-09, 07:16 PM
KidTruth

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Allez Elite, 2007 Trek 7.3 FX, 2005 generic Schwinn Mountain Bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rubic
Some drivers are just angry. They get angry at other drivers, also. He's going too fast; he's going too slow; he cut me off, etc. Cyclists in contrast to drivers are exposed, vulnerable and easy prey for the angry drivers which makes it easier for them to express their anger. That's my 2 cents.
I think that a lot of the problem is this. We can all be hyper-aggressive from behind the wheel, and we usually focus that rage on other drivers. There is a lot of psychology behind how a person acts when they are strapped into a massive steel cage that they feel impenetrable behind.

I think feeling very naked and exposed on a bike really magnifies this. It's like being a 4'9 girl being screamed at by the Hulk. If we were in ours cars we wouldn't think twice, and would probably be a lot more aggressive back to them.
Old 03-07-09, 07:18 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
It's not because they're idiots, or we're idiots, or we're in their way, or their jealous, or they're angry, or any of that amateur psycho babble. It's because we're different from them. That's it, no more. Everything else is an excuse.

Same reason roadies hate on tourists, commuters hate on hipsters, blah blah blah.

Just part of being human.
Old 03-07-09, 07:20 PM
Ratfish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does this happen in other countries?
Old 03-07-09, 07:23 PM
I_Like_Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Bingo, we have a winner. When I'm driving I dont mind the bike commuters, high schoolers riding to school, mom with the Burley, etc. Its the guys in full race kit that ride two abreast and ride in the middle of the lane that bug the crap out of me. Or the group of 20-30 bike dorks that hog the whole lane and think they have the right to do so because they are on a "training" ride. This comes from a guy who has ridden a bike for 40 years and used to think in the manner that these bike dweebs think. You aint no european racers dudes. Ride single file to the far right of the lane. Cars and the people that drive them are dangerous to your health. Learn to live with the fact you dont belong on the road.
You don't know what your talking about. Heaven forbid that you have to add 10 sec to your driving tip to get around a cyclist. No one I know has ever purposely delayed a car for passing them. If a cyclist rides 50+ miles where would you suggest that he do so if not on a road?
Old 03-07-09, 07:48 PM
Busta Quad
Banned

Bikes: 2007 Tarmac Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Romans8:28
1 out of every 10 (at least) people are sick, evil, self-absorbed a**-hats who get off being mean every chance they think they can get away with it. Cyclists are easy targets and present much amusement to the psychopaths among us.
I'm a psychopath and I don't target cyclists.
Old 03-07-09, 08:11 PM
x136 
phony collective progress

Bikes: https://velospace.org/user/36663

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Or the group of 20-30 bike dorks that hog the whole lane and think they have the right to do so because they are on a "training" ride.
They do.

Learn to live with the fact you dont belong on the road.
They do.

Which isn't to say that such people aren't being rude by not letting faster traffic pass, but bicycles have as much right to the road as cars do.
Old 03-07-09, 09:24 PM
enjoi07

Bikes: custom caad9

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
my favorite is when they yell at you..they dont say anything, just "AHHHHhhhhhh!"
Old 03-08-09, 12:18 AM
zerocool5468

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
because most of them can't do what we do.
Old 03-08-09, 01:30 AM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ratfish
It happens in Canada, I would say every ride I'm on I get buzzed at least once, friends have had pop, beer, even coffee thrown at them. I had a van come at me head on once, that was pretty scary and funny at the same time as they were so absorbed in scaring me they didn't see the police car behind them, closest I've ever came to getting hit was when someone pulled out to pass without seeing me.
Old 03-08-09, 07:32 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Because too many cyclists ride two abreast and block part of the lane of travel, making it impossible for the motorist to pass which of course pisses them off - as it should. I am a devoted roadie, have been since the early 70s. Try it back then, most people wondered why I wore those silly black pants! Anyway, I can't tell you the number of times that I have been driving either by myself or with others in the car and we come up on either a group ride, or perhaps just two or so cyclists. There they are, riding abreast and not in a line, chatting away, ignorant to the car behind them. I say to myself, "come on guys, doing this just breads pissed off drivers who then will take a shot at me while I am out there riding by myself!"
Old 03-08-09, 07:37 AM
Hypercreed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Motorists versus Cyclists

Sadly, yes, it does happen in other countries! Often its because drivers are angry and sometimes simply because they get a buzz from buzzing cyclists, plain and simple, cyclists are like targets for this kind of motorist.
Old 03-08-09, 07:38 AM
Hypercreed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Motorists versus Cyclists

Sadly, yes, it does happen in other countries! Often its because drivers are angry and sometimes simply because they get a buzz from buzzing cyclists, plain and simple, cyclists are like targets for this kind of motorist.

https://rushrabbit.wordpress.com
Old 03-08-09, 08:16 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Why do you hate plural?
Old 03-08-09, 08:38 AM
Derby
Gone riding...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Three of us were riding yesterday, single file (actually 2 were single file, the 3rd was pretty far back after he got dropped on a longer hill). Cars were passing with no problem but a __hole in a truck, going the opposite way and no traffic going around us, yelled out to tell us to get off the road.
Old 03-08-09, 09:00 AM
gabdy

Bikes: Trek, Giant, PoS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ratfish
No of course not.
Old 03-08-09, 09:54 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
40 years my okole. While I agree that some cyclists can be rude, I have the same right as any other user to be on the road...and have been doing so for over 40 years myself. My safety comes first...and if that requires you to slow your fat butt down for a few seconds, oh freaking well...get over it or get bent, I really don't care. As for you, enjoy riding the gutter, it seems to fit your personality.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 03-08-09, 10:23 AM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
Not sure where you live but in my state it's legal to ride two abreast and a bike is considered a vehicle that has the same rights to the road, in fact moving over to the right to allow a car to pass is a courtesy on the cyclists part. You may want to check your state laws.
Old 03-08-09, 10:33 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Wow, someone has some inferiority issues.
Old 03-08-09, 10:36 AM
specq
King of the Ramsey Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Learn to live with the fact you dont belong on the road.
Bingo, we have a loser.
Old 03-08-09, 10:59 AM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think I strayed into the Camero lovers forum.

Last edited by longbeachgary; 03-08-09 at 11:12 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.