Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Santa Ana River Trail-Less safe now ?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Santa Ana River Trail-Less safe now ?

Old 09-30-17, 09:08 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Even if the City of Anaheim clears out the Katella Avenue region with the help of their police and maybe Sheriffs, the population will just shift to other areas where cities have less at stake.

It would be interesting if somebody had a drone with a high definition camera to comb the landscape of the SART from Huntington Beach to Green River.

Do this at selected intervals and monitor the population and movement.
Old 09-30-17, 01:23 PM
merckx_rider
OUTLAW BIKER

Bikes: Eddy Merckx team 7-11 Corsa Extra Full Dura Ace, 2015 Equalizer Electric Fat Tire Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride the SART in the evenings almost daily. I've been riding that trail since 1987. In those years I've seen drastic changes. Only in the last few years has it gotten to this point.

There have always been some overnight campers on it. One here - one there a mile later. The "off griders" stayed out of sight for the most part.

When the Huntington Beach Police did a sweep of the homeless along the first mile of the SART years ago they pulled all the mattresses out of the brush and old lawn chairs and just tons of junk - I became aware of just how much I was oblivious to. I knew there were some folks hanging out in there partying - can smell the smoke as I rode by, but no idea of how much stuff was hidden in those bushes.

Compared to the current situation of camps, that will take truck loads to clean up. The HBPD sweep was yard work.

I'd like to see the conditions reversed back to the bike trail and adjacent lands clear of tents and bike junkyards. I find the (homeless) people to be very friendly and understanding that any trouble they bring into the camp effects them all - they have never done anything I can say as aggressive towards me or anyone I know. That said, they are also somewhat wild - I've had them make 90 degree turns right in front of me and almost cause an accident - that happened 2 x - now I give them a very wide berth. BUT I have also had kitted up riders do the exact same thing - so...

As for safe riding - times and areas. I find from Warner south to the beach is the safest section any time of the day or night. When I do ride through the section north of Harbor Blvd. to Katella I usually go while it is light. The few times I've come home after dark through that area - people are wandering the trail in the dark. I've had several close calls with dark clothed pedestrians only because I couldn't see them and they were dead center on the trail.

My favorite encounter was the naked girl sitting center on the trail in the dark - I didn't know what to do???

The immigrant families with the toddlers playing in the roadway - trail - was a first this spring... They looked at me like - WAT?? when I suggested they don't let the babies play in the road.

I really don't believe that the homeless will rob you - but - I make it a policy not to leave my stuff unattended when strangers are about.
Some of the kindest folks I know have fallen on hard times. I have gotten to the point that I just live and let live. OH YEAH - I also carry a small pepper spray if what I believe isn't what reality provides.
Old 10-08-17, 03:33 PM
merckx_rider
OUTLAW BIKER

Bikes: Eddy Merckx team 7-11 Corsa Extra Full Dura Ace, 2015 Equalizer Electric Fat Tire Bike

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Latest update: FYI
Just saw in the news about hepatitis A outbreaks in homeless tent cities are spreading throughout the state's homeless encampments....
You have to ingest contaminated food to contract - so I read.
Old 10-09-17, 07:12 PM
mdasb

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding on the Sta Ana River Trail in January 2018

I'm from the Philippines, Ill be in Anaheim in January 2018 and hope to ride along the Sta. Ana River Trail.. is the section between New Port Beach to Chino Hills safe? between 6am - 12 noon? Thank Guys
Old 10-10-17, 07:06 AM
JMH714

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mdasb
I'm from the Philippines, Ill be in Anaheim in January 2018 and hope to ride along the Sta. Ana River Trail.. is the section between New Port Beach to Chino Hills safe? between 6am - 12 noon? Thank Guys
You will have to go through homeless tents in Anaheim. The Santa Ana River starts at Corona and ends in Huntington Beach and Anaheim is right in the middle.

Have you look into different route - using San Diego Creek trail that starts in Irvine all the way to Newport Beach bay, but you can go across to the beach area. Riding bike along Newport Beach Upper Bay is stunning.
Old 10-10-17, 10:59 AM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Rode the full length of the SGRT Sunday and it was as clean as I’ve ever seen it. Only one large batch of trash under Imperial that indicated recent residency, and one tent between Imperial and Firestone where the gas line crosses. Other than that the only sign of activity was a large bag of discarded uneaten food from the weekend troll feeding north of Santa Fe Dam.

I’ve been told that along with the regular patrols by LACSD,several of the municipalities have a couple of employees make a sweep of the river at the beginning of every shift.

Enforcement works!
Who Knew?
Old 10-10-17, 11:43 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by TGT1

Enforcement works!

Who Knew?
Certainly this will be a surprise to the OC Board of Sups, the city councils of Anaheim, Orange and Santa Ana, and the OCSD.
Old 10-11-17, 05:11 AM
Garfield Cat

Originally Posted by merckx_rider
Latest update: FYI
Just saw in the news about hepatitis A outbreaks in homeless tent cities are spreading throughout the state's homeless encampments....
You have to ingest contaminated food to contract - so I read.
What is Hepatitis A?

Hepatitis A is a contagious liver disease that results from infection with the Hepatitis A virus. It can range in severity from a mild illness lasting a few weeks to a severe illness lasting several months. Hepatitis A is usually spread when a person ingests the virus from contact with objects, food, or drinks contaminated by feces or stool from an infected person.

https://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/hav/afaq.htm
Old 10-13-17, 11:53 AM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Someone has created a Strava segment: Smelly Stinky Gypsy camps (the faster U pedal the less U smell)

From what I see, it seems there are more homeless along SART now than there were in the spring. I've not ridden there for a few months, and I noticed a few changes, including how the condo or apartment complex just north of Chapman (the one on the west bank) added some perforated metal sheets to their fence. Generally it seems the homeless avoid camping in the immediate vicinity of residences, but there is a good number camped right up against the metal fence of the condo/apartment complex. I'm guessing the condo/apartment residents tried law enforcement first, and when that didn't work, they paid to add the perforated metal sheets.
Old 10-14-17, 05:21 AM
Garfield Cat

Why perforated metal sheets? Because even if stolen, those sheets with holes are not barriers to weather like rain and wind.
Old 10-14-17, 01:29 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Why perforated metal sheets? Because even if stolen, those sheets with holes are not barriers to weather like rain and wind.
That is probably true, plus I'm sure there was some human waste plus trash making it into the property.

According to Google Maps, it is an apartment complex, so you probably have both residents and management b!tching to local LEOs about this. Looks like rental rates start at $2K/month there, which is significantly more than I pay for my mortgage, for what it's worth. If I was a resident there and dealing with what they are presumably dealing with, I'd be screaming bloody murder while looking for a new place to live. The address is in Orange, so Orange PD would be who they are calling. I admit, I'd be pretty mad if I had people urinating on my car and/or assigned parking spot.

I rolled past a different building on the east bank trail at 5th Street and heard a high pitched sound, but couldn't place it until the return trip. The owner looks to have installed an anti-loitering speaker on the side, close to the roofline, but it didn't seem to be working as there were homeless camped immediately below it.
Old 10-14-17, 01:45 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked 1,422 Times in 973 Posts
I hadn't been up there in about 1.5 months, but rode from the beach up to Orangewood this morning. Geez, the place seems to still be growing (slower than before).

FWIW: I was up in the Hollywood/Universal City area this last week (Hollywood Blvd off the 101) and was surprised at the number of homeless along that strip from Vine down to Highland (Chinese Theater area). There used to be a lot of 'buskers' (street musicians and performers) looking for handouts (give 'em credit for trying!), but now its just pure homeless sitting/lying on the sidewalks. And they look in a lot worse shape up in L.A. than what you see along the SART!.
Old 10-15-17, 06:09 AM
Garfield Cat

Maybe that's why they move from Hollywood to the SART. Better digs.
Old 10-27-17, 07:21 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Update on the sheriff's patrols in the Angel Stadium/Honda Center area:

Sheriff?s deputies have made 180 arrests in Santa Ana River bed, and contacted 1,000 homeless people in an effort to help them ? Orange County Register

Old 10-28-17, 08:26 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 535 Posts
"Of the 1,093 contacts made by the sheriff’s Homeless Outreach Team, 910 people refused help, sheriff’s officials said."
Old 10-29-17, 05:18 PM
Garfield Cat

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
"Of the 1,093 contacts made by the sheriff’s Homeless Outreach Team, 910 people refused help, sheriff’s officials said."
What kind of help? What are the conditions connected with the help?
Old 10-31-17, 08:02 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
New info:
County to restrict access on Santa Ana River trail and shut down Fountain Valley homeless encampment ? Orange County Register
Old 10-31-17, 08:11 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
And this is precisely why we can't have nice things.

Use of the trail on both sides of the river from Adams to Imperial Highway will be restricted to public operating hours, basically during daylight.

The bike trail from Adams to Imperial will be closed to public access from 6 p.m. to 7 a.m. Nov. 1 through Feb. 28, 2018, and then from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m. when the weather begins to warm up, March 1, 2018, to Oct. 31, 2018.

I ride the far-north SART before daybreak all the time. Shout out for not living in the OC, woooooo!
Old 10-31-17, 08:28 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Encampments at the gates.... or more contemporarily "Hooverville's"....... have always been with us. Sure... it's partly mental illness, part drug usage, some crappy local government/management. But in reality these homeless camps will only be cured with a regional up-tick in economics.

Once it is much more rewarding to work and wash.... that is what people have historically always done.
Old 10-31-17, 08:45 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
What kind of help? What are the conditions connected with the help?
I guess my takeaway from so many homeless refusing any assistance is that basically and figuratively, this is the lifestyle they prefer and easily adapt to. Regardless of the conditions connected with the help, you can always go back to the encampment(s) once you've taken advantage of the assistance offered.

They have found their piece of the puzzle and that piece is an encampment on the SART.
Old 10-31-17, 09:33 AM
dogmeat26

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
And this is precisely why we can't have nice things.

Use of the trail on both sides of the river from Adams to Imperial Highway will be restricted to public operating hours, basically during daylight.

The bike trail from Adams to Imperial will be closed to public access from 6 p.m. to 7 a.m. Nov. 1 through Feb. 28, 2018, and then from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m. when the weather begins to warm up, March 1, 2018, to Oct. 31, 2018.

I ride the far-north SART before daybreak all the time. Shout out for not living in the OC, woooooo!
Well this is crap. I commute to work daily from Fountain Valley to the Anaheim train station before dawn. Way to punish us actual property tax payers that need to use the trail. So now I have to have more risk from cars now and deal with street lights? blah.

Last edited by dogmeat26; 10-31-17 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-31-17, 11:29 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Encampments are a big issue up on the northern part as well, but the river is an actual wildlife habitat so the homeless are buried inside the groves and bridges. You just see the habitat littered with trash, trees cut down, etc.

I'd like to see the river become a protected park where outside the trail and designated parks people aren't allowed to venture into. Maybe it already is, but if that's the case they're not doing a good job of protecting it.

Originally Posted by dogmeat26
Well this is crap. I commute to work daily form Fountain Valley to the Anaheim train station before dawn. Way to punish us actual property tax payers that need to use the trail. So now I have to have more risk form cars now and deal with street lights? blah.
SART has devolved into being a bike path intended for commuters to a recreational path for walkers and beach cruisers (and a campground!) . Local Government needs to be constantly reminded that almost all funding for it is with the intention of bicycles getting from point a to b.
Old 10-31-17, 12:15 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
This new policy doesn't apply where it is needed most. FTA:

The enforcement crack-down will not be imposed on the river trail in the area of Angel Stadium in Anaheim, where a court injunction is in effect from roughly Chapman Avenue to the railroad tracks near Ball Road. The county recently stepped up law enforcement patrols in that area and earlier this year hired the nonprofit City Net to do outreach among about 400 homeless people living in the shadow of the Big A sign, part of a long-term plan to move people out of the river bed area.
Old 10-31-17, 02:31 PM
dogmeat26

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think us cyclists need to make our concerns known. There is a point of contact we can mail at https://www.cms.ocgov.com/civicax/fil...x?BlobID=69644 . Her name is Carrie Braun email Carrie.Braun@ocgov.com .
Old 11-01-17, 07:31 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Originally Posted by dogmeat26
Well this is crap. I commute to work daily from Fountain Valley to the Anaheim train station before dawn. Way to punish us actual property tax payers that need to use the trail. So now I have to have more risk from cars now and deal with street lights? blah.
Ditto with me, but more because of using it to get somewhere far away then bicycle back. I was planning to use it next spring to get to San Francisco and ride back, now I might have to make other plans. I'm not doing a pre-dawn ride through Santa Ana to get to the train station on time! And due to crappy service experiences I definitely don't want to take an airplane up to SFO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.