Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Light selection guide.

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Light selection guide.

Old 03-03-07, 05:03 PM
Ngchen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zero_Enigma
Or the guy can take a Dinotte 5W and mount it backwards above his panniers and guntape (use clear tape) a red lens on top (or use that red clear Xmas wrap stuff you get or ask kindly for a 2.5inx2.5in clear red at a gift shop or grocerers gift area or flower section. Put that 5W on flash mode and don't stare at the light. Aim it at the drivers eye level or just in between car/suv level (which will be slightly above a cars eyes but still hitting them) and notice the distance gap. >

Might want to put a disclaimer on the panniers saying "flash mode worst then banned Pokemon episodes" LOL

Zero_Enigma
Why waste all that energy by filtering out the other colors? Take advantage of the monochromacity of the LED by using the 3W ultimate Dinotte tail light. All red, no waste, 120+ lumens.

Sure, IMO that may well be overkill but we are talking about going all out, right?
Old 03-08-07, 10:21 AM
HelluvaStella
NoGoSlow

Bikes: Stella fixy conversion, Trek 2300, Specialized Rock Hopper, Schwinn Collegiate 3, Mz Skorpion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After a looooong search through the commuting forum (especially both light related stickies) I still cannot find the info I'm looking for. Perchance someone here knows:

What are the specifications of the sealed lead acid battery that comes stock with the NiteRider Road Rat? I bought a used RR on Craigslist for super cheap, but the guy said the battery had died on him and he threw it out. Obviously, this guy isn't into DIY and recycling. No matter. I've replaced batteries on my NiteRider Classic before, saving the plug end and the capacitor and resoldering on a new battery.

The info I'm looking for is: battery amp hours, dimensions, capacitor size (if it comes with one) and *hope hope* part number for the plug . Has anyone done this proceedure? I simply want to order a similar battery, and hop on down to Radio Shack for a plug and cap.
Old 03-09-07, 02:10 PM
gretnabikes
GretnaBikes

Bikes: GretnaBikes - Panzer, GretnaBikes - Rothrocker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Wilma's now available.
Old 03-12-07, 08:28 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Anyone know when Cateye will be releasing the TL1100 in North America? https://cateye.com/en/product_detail/280
Bump. Better yet, has anyone any experience on the TL-LD 1100? Some webshops advertise they have it on stock, and have reduced prices for the 1000-model accordingly. Depending on source they claim an 80-100% increase in brightness (whatever that is supposed to mean) when comparing 1100 to the old 1000.

[edit] The Cateye UK web site sucks AAs, but there you have it: https://cateye.com/uk/product_detail/359 [edit]

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 03-12-07, 08:37 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Anyone know when Cateye will be releasing the TL1100 in North America? https://cateye.com/en/product_detail/280
Anyone can buy one right now without leaving your chair. If you have your credit card with you.

https://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?f...201100%20light

I don't want to spend the money, you go first.......
Old 03-13-07, 04:38 PM
Zero_Enigma

Bikes: MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two things. Only one is related to lighting.

1. WTFF is with Chipcoms Avatar then mixing it up? I love Bailys pic by itself! More BAILEY!

2. When is the el cheapest time to buy bike lights? Like the absolute lowest price time/month/year/etc.

Thanks.

Zero_Enigma
Old 03-13-07, 05:07 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
2. When is the el cheapest time to buy bike lights? Like the absolute lowest price time/month/year/etc.
The fantastic L&M $263 sale was about just at the begining of 'light season' - contrary to what one expects for season specific sales.
Al
Old 03-25-07, 02:22 PM
overthenexthill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow

Wow. This Is Great. Thanks So Much.
Old 03-27-07, 06:53 AM
Chuck G
Dirty old man in training

Bikes: 2007 Novara Randonee, 1991 Raleigh Olympian, 1988 Nishiki Ariel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Based on a lot of research (mostly here and the reviews on https://www.mtbr.com/reviews/ I purchased a Dinotte Ultra 5 headlight and a Planet Bike Superflash tailight. I got the Dinotte on sale, and tried it out on the ride to work this morning. It is freakin bright. This light rocks!!! I can see the road more then 5 feet in front of me now.

Rob at Dinotte was nice enough to swap out the AA batteries and charger for some C cell battery holders and cases, he even tossed in a few extra AA battery holders and a bunch of extra straps. I got my Superflash on sale from Nashbar, and it [finally] arrived Saturday. I like the Superflash, it's really bright, but every time I order from Nashbar it takes 1 1/2 weeks for my order to arrive.
Old 03-27-07, 02:10 PM
gretnabikes
GretnaBikes

Bikes: GretnaBikes - Panzer, GretnaBikes - Rothrocker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wilma Upgrade kit (750 lumens)

New Wilma 4 (830 lumens)

Last edited by gretnabikes; 04-12-07 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-30-07, 09:01 PM
derath

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck G
Based on a lot of research (mostly here and the reviews on https://www.mtbr.com/reviews/ I purchased a Dinotte Ultra 5 headlight and a Planet Bike Superflash tailight. I got the Dinotte on sale, and tried it out on the ride to work this morning. It is freakin bright. This light rocks!!! I can see the road more then 5 feet in front of me now.

Rob at Dinotte was nice enough to swap out the AA batteries and charger for some C cell battery holders and cases, he even tossed in a few extra AA battery holders and a bunch of extra straps. I got my Superflash on sale from Nashbar, and it [finally] arrived Saturday. I like the Superflash, it's really bright, but every time I order from Nashbar it takes 1 1/2 weeks for my order to arrive.

Rob rocks. He totally hooked me up on a 5w and a tailight combo. Should arrive monday.

-D
Old 04-12-07, 08:22 AM
Ridire123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question from a noob

I was wondering if anyone might have any input on comparing something like the TrailTech HID to the DiNotte 5W or L&M Vega. They can be had for nearly the same price and was just wondering how they compare. This won't be for commuting, persay, just night road riding (only time I have to train). I really hope to keep it under $200, which is why I was considering the above. Welcome to any input outside of them, though. Thanks!
Old 04-12-07, 08:39 AM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by Ridire123
I was wondering if anyone might have any input on comparing something like the TrailTech HID to the DiNotte 5W or L&M Vega. They can be had for nearly the same price and was just wondering how they compare. This won't be for commuting, persay, just night road riding (only time I have to train). I really hope to keep it under $200, which is why I was considering the above. Welcome to any input outside of them, though. Thanks!
They both list Lumens (how bright they are) on the web sites.

Don't forget to consider your run time for the light. Add in some extra time for a flat tire or cold weather when you buy a light. This is all listed on the web sites too.

Without actually seeing them that's about the best you can do. The weight and some other things are on the web sites.
Old 04-14-07, 03:11 PM
derath

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ridire123
I don't have an exact, but here is a review of at least 2 of the 3 lights you were asking about.

Between the Dinotte and L&M I think the Dinotte wins. Between the Dinotte and a HID I would be the HID wins, when talking about brightness.

I chose the Dinotte 5W AA model for a number of reasons. The biggest was its compact size and ease of mounting. I have one bike that I use for everything. So I like to be able to remove items like lights when I don't need them. I can mount the light in under 30 seconds, and remove them faster. Plus when removed there is nothing left. No quick mount like the vega etc.

I also liked the use of rechargable AA's. The runtime isn't as great. But rechargable AA's are cheap and I already own a bunch and several chargers. So I can keep a set charged at work for the ride home and a set at home for the ride there. It is also easy to carry a second set of batteries in a holder for rides at night over 3 hours.

Also, with regard to the review linked above. I actually have the Dinotte 5W and the Niterider 12W halogen helmet light. In conjunction they are great for night training rides.

Keep in mind as well that the Dinotte is currently on sale at their site for $169. I emailed Rob at Dinotte about the fact that Nashbar was $10 cheaper on sale and he came back with an offer I couldn't refuse. I bought them that night on the spot from Rob. Great guy, at least via email.

-D
Old 04-27-07, 02:38 PM
heads up!
ultimate cat

Bikes: CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm looking for advice on a bright tail light. My LBS carries the Serfas TL-2000, but I've found nothing written on it around here. I like the 9-LEDs and the reflector in there, and it would seem to me that using red LEDs is smarter than regular LEDs with a red lense, a la the Cateye TL1000 (at least I think that's what's going on with the Cateye).

Anybody have thoughts on this Serfas TL-2000 before I pick one up?
Old 04-27-07, 08:22 PM
Ngchen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I seriously doubt the TL-LD1000 uses a red lens and white LEDs. Just because the LED's plastic is clear doesn't mean it can't be red. Reason I say this is because red LEDs are far, far more efficient at generating red light than any filtered white LED can be. Sorry I can't comment on the Serfas TL-2000.
Old 05-08-07, 07:46 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Take a gander at this rear light; probably the brightest rear bike light on the market: https://www.powerflare.com/
Old 05-08-07, 08:16 PM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by froze
Take a gander at this rear light; probably the brightest rear bike light on the market: https://www.powerflare.com/
What have you compared it to?
Old 05-21-07, 06:45 AM
gear

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I just went through a total lighting system upgrade. I reluctantly replaced my Lupine HID headlight with the new Wilma head unit. I loved the HID headlight but I was using it with a 24w bulb and it went through those bulbs fairly quickly (about 1 every 6 mos.) and the cost was getting to me. But I loved the light it threw off. The Wilma is actually brighter but a bit different as you would expect from a transition to LEDs. I love this light too. If I had it to do all over again (and I'm thinking back twelve years and a variety of headlights) I would have bought this headlight to begin with, and I would have really skipped Niterider all together.

The new tail light is a Dinotte, I was reluctant to get this tail light because I think that the mounting system is not a good solution for a tail light (unless your seat post goes straight up rather than slanted and providing you don't use a rear rack bag) but the suggestion that one of the other BF members came up with (use a 3/4" conduit pipe hanger) made it work (Dinotte should give them out with the light). I now have drivers completely avoiding me by passing with a margin of around 4'.

I just can't think of a better headlight/ tail light combination that the new Lupine Wilma and the Dinotte (with a conduit pipe hanger).
Old 05-21-07, 08:10 AM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by gear
I just went through a total lighting system upgrade. I reluctantly replaced my Lupine HID headlight with the new Wilma head unit. I loved the HID headlight but I was using it with a 24w bulb and it went through those bulbs fairly quickly (about 1 every 6 mos.) and the cost was getting to me. But I loved the light it threw off. The Wilma is actually brighter but a bit different as you would expect from a transition to LEDs.
You must mean the 24W (25w) halogen light. Not the HID. Big difference.

The Lupine HID is 16w and is brighter than the wilma. You need to send it to the distributor to replace a bulb and they last a longer than that.
Old 05-21-07, 04:20 PM
gear

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
You must mean the 24W (25w) halogen light. Not the HID. Big difference.

The Lupine HID is 16w and is brighter than the wilma. You need to send it to the distributor to replace a bulb and they last a longer than that.
You are correct, I meant halogen (must have had HID on the brain), it is the passubio and I used a 25w bulb rather than the 16w. After four bulbs the conclusion was that the battery on those systems (not the one I have in particular) couldn't handle the higher wattage bulbs. Which accounts for the shorter lifespan.

But the wilma 4 is brighter if somewhat diffused by compairson. If you want a lumen compairson the passubio (with a 24w bulb) was putting out around 500 lumens and the wilma puts out around 830.

By the way, I still don't believe you exist. Everyone knows that there is no such thing as TooManyBikes.
Old 05-21-07, 06:39 PM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by gear

By the way, I still don't believe you exist. Everyone knows that there is no such thing as TooManyBikes.
Old 05-28-07, 05:18 AM
dydst

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey everyone,

I've searched and searched and can't seem to find the answer to this question. It relates to charging the lead acid batteries found on many of the not so new lights. Can anyone help me?

I'm getting a Cygolite Night Rover with a sealed Lead Acid battery (gel cell). Fully charged, it might last somewhere around 2 hours. I see all this stuff about how easy it is to kill your battery by totally running it down, by overcharging it, etc. If I use it for one hour every day, how often am I supposed to charge it? And for how long? Overnight, every 2 nights?

I'd really appreciate your help!
Old 05-28-07, 09:28 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dydst
Hey everyone,

I've searched and searched and can't seem to find the answer to this question. It relates to charging the lead acid batteries found on many of the not so new lights. Can anyone help me?

I'm getting a Cygolite Night Rover with a sealed Lead Acid battery (gel cell). Fully charged, it might last somewhere around 2 hours. I see all this stuff about how easy it is to kill your battery by totally running it down, by overcharging it, etc. If I use it for one hour every day, how often am I supposed to charge it? And for how long? Overnight, every 2 nights?

I'd really appreciate your help!
The instruction will tell you how long to charge it. Usually if the battery has been exhuasted you will need to charge it overnight for about 8 to 12 hours depending on the battery. Thus if you know that it last for 2 hours and it takes 8 hours to charge and you use it for only an hour then you will need to charge it for 4 hours. This can be done cheaply and automatically with a simple $8 lamp timer.

This is a lead acid battery, I wouldn't discharge it completly, but read your instructions or e-mail Cygolite and ask them all these questions to make sure you get the right info.
Old 06-28-07, 12:48 AM
Hoofer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't read this whole thread, so please berate me if this has been exhausted already.

I'm looking for an inexpensive headlight and (preferably blinking) tailight to wire to the
24 volt battery on my electric bike. This is a 7 amp hour NiCad pack.

I figure the draw for the lights would be pretty small relative to the draw of the motor, and I'd prefer
not to need to fiddle with separate AAA batteries for the lights, like I do now.

If I just got a cheap "driving light" as are sold for adding on to cars (obviously designed for 12v system)
and tail light, maybe designed for a trailer (would be 12v system and non blinking), would these burn
out instantly or burst into flames? Is there a better way to do this?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.