Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Selling off my MAN room to make a fitness room..need help

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Selling off my MAN room to make a fitness room..need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-06, 11:54 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chicocreole
Thank me now
go with a WaterRower www.waterrower.com
cool.
simple too.
Old 01-31-06, 11:55 AM
tekhna

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't reccomend a bowflex. I would think a cage, incline bench, regular bench, curved bar, straight bar, plates and dumbells is all you would ever need.
Old 01-31-06, 12:01 PM
Pedal Wench

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't get it. Why sell off the home theater? Why not keep the kick-a$$ speakers and moniter and just clear out space for the fitness gear? Nothing like spending hours on the treadmill while watching a DVD in 5.1!
Old 01-31-06, 12:44 PM
SF Biker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yeah that is a good idea! When I moved in to my new house there was a 17 x 17 foot room built as a theater room. I skipped the theater and put our bikes on the trainer, brought the treadmill in from the old garage, and added a stairmaster. Best move ever. Oh and the TV, you won't miss it as I went to a 31" and it is just fine. 3 bedrooms down, 2 more to go. Hmm an office and then a guest room?

Old 01-31-06, 12:53 PM
BeeTL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank me now
go with a WaterRower www.waterrower.com
The Concept 2 has been the ergometer of choice for competitive crew teams since I rowed in college (1985). I owned one myself for a while, a C Model. It's simple, relatively inexpensive and bombproof.

I just went to a 'learn to row' event last weekend, and they had two Concept 2's. They were there for warmup and to teach basic technique prior to getting in a recreational racing shell.

One looked like the machine I trained on in 1985 (B model?), still running strong after decades of punishment. The second was the updated model pictured on the Concept 2 site (D model).

I tried to see what crew teams use the Waterrower referenced above, but that link on the site is dead.

Also, check Concept 2 resale on eBay. That's where I sold mine. They retain an amazing resale value...

Last edited by BeeTL; 01-31-06 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-31-06, 01:50 PM
Chicocreole

Bikes: Old Steel?, Currently building up a sweet Deda Aluminum Carbon frame that I will break as soon as it is done!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh no doubt crew teams use concept2 and they are great machines and the industry standard

but I would rather have a beautiful hand crafted wooden machine like the waterrower for my home. Oh and look up waterrower on ebay - you won't find nobody sells them - they keep them
Old 01-31-06, 01:51 PM
Chicocreole

Bikes: Old Steel?, Currently building up a sweet Deda Aluminum Carbon frame that I will break as soon as it is done!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I meant "you won't find any"

I must be the worst speller on this forum
Old 01-31-06, 02:04 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
but I would rather have a beautiful hand crafted wooden machine like the waterrower for my home.
That's the appeal for me... kind of sculptural with the water moving round. I imagine they are quieter than the fan type. Probably similar to a wind trainer vs. fluid trainer.
Old 01-31-06, 02:07 PM
BeeTL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmike
That's the appeal for me... kind of sculptural with the water moving round. I imagine they are quieter than the fan type. Probably similar to a wind trainer vs. fluid trainer.
There's one thing Concept 2's aren't, and that's quiet!

Old 01-31-06, 06:36 PM
blonduathlongrl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SF Biker
Oh yeah that is a good idea! When I moved in to my new house there was a 17 x 17 foot room built as a theater room. I skipped the theater and put our bikes on the trainer, brought the treadmill in from the old garage, and added a stairmaster. Best move ever. Oh and the TV, you won't miss it as I went to a 31" and it is just fine. 3 bedrooms down, 2 more to go. Hmm an office and then a guest room

Nice room! so bright! made me want to jump in!
Old 01-31-06, 06:38 PM
voltman
It is fantastic.

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a power cage and lift the appropriate amount of weight versus using a Smith.
Old 01-31-06, 07:33 PM
rjg001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get an adjustable bench (flat and incline), dumbells, a mat for the floor and a swiss ball. Done.
Old 01-31-06, 07:45 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Well I talked to the wife and to my LBS who also happen to be a Bowflex dealer. The wife says no way does she want to go with free weights so I guess that ends that discussion. Like I said I have ~200 lbs of plates right now so I will move them in for my use and keep the cheap bench I have now (does flat and incline and really is pretty stable).

The LBS gave me a sweet deal (well quote) on the Ultimate 2 that I was looking at on eBay plus they will deliver and setup...in the end they totally kill the eBay deal so it is a no brainer. They did suggest a spin bike rather than a second trainer though..they know the cost is higher but advocated it because it would be quieter and would reduce the wear on the bikes (tires and drivetrain). We will have to think about it.

So I guess we will see how the sale of the HT goes.