Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Please voice your opinons on this bike/company...

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-26-07, 05:18 PM
fixedup

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I was just browsing around on the web today and looking for a good deal for my girlfriend ( wants a full carbon bike ) and possibly myself and stumbled across these Motobecanes on bikesdirect.com. They have a full carbon with full ultegra sl groupo for 1730 bucks! Now, I dont know much about this brand and I know I wouldnt really be hesitant if it was just a fixed gear ( what im used to ) or something like that, but this is a full carbon race bike ( something im not used to). I really like the new ultegra sl groupo, but what of the frame?
Old 09-26-07, 05:23 PM
CharlieWoo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why does your girlfriend want a full carbon bike? What kind of riding (and how much) does she do?
Old 09-26-07, 05:27 PM
Pharmr
Home, home again

Bikes: Scott S10, Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 09-26-07, 05:28 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
This company excels at their marketing efforts. They employ "shills" who post pseudo-questions about their products on bicycle-related forums. As a result, Motobecane is among the most talked about bicycle brands out there, even surpassing Trek and Giant in their online "buzz". It's an amazingly cost-effective strategy, though many would complain that it's a highly unethical way to do business.

As far as their products go, I have no idea.

Last edited by Sprocket Man; 09-26-07 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-26-07, 05:28 PM
fixedup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because she races on a team and wants to upgrade from her old trek 2200 which isnt even a female specific bike. And yes she does ride a lot.
Old 09-26-07, 05:32 PM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its actually a stellar deal if it fits, though some have a difficult time accepting this for whatever reason.
Old 09-26-07, 05:35 PM
scotch
purity of essence

Bikes: 2018 Giant Trance 2, 2019 Trek Farley 7, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
Coffee's for closers.
Old 09-26-07, 05:40 PM
steaktaco
bannned

Bikes: black bike, white bike, blue bike, yellow bike, silver bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually bought from them twice. My first 700c tired bike ever, a windsor hour. And a fixie for base training for my girl, another windsor hour (but much better-looking in matte grey) is on its way.

This past winter I almost bought their fly team mountain bike—for the price it can't be beat—but settled for a more modestly equipped on-brand bike that weighs 4 lbs more because I was looking for steel.

They're a good deal in my opinion.

Old 09-26-07, 06:10 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I've never owned one of Bike Direct bikes, but I can't recall ever reading where an owner said the bike they purchased from them was substandard. I don't like their marketing technique where they say a bike is "105" equipped when the shifters and front DR are nine speed Tiagra and only the rear DR is 105. That's slimey along with their slimey claim that a bike they are selling for $1000, "retails for $2200", when a comparable bike actually sells for around $1400. But if you're handy and can assemble the bike, sometimes you can save some dollars.
I won't buy from them because I can't demo the bike ahead of time. Because I make stem changes to any new bike I purchase, I search the LBSs for the best deal. You'd be surprised how close some LBSs get to a Bikes Direct price once you break away from the most popular brands and consider brands like Fuji, Raleigh or Giant. How about a full carbon Giant with 105 10speed leftover for around $1500.
Old 09-26-07, 06:11 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
This is a shilly thread.
Old 09-26-07, 06:19 PM
daviton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not bad of a price for the bike!.......But why not support our own economy and buy a bike from your local bike shop! Plus they can help you w/the rite size for your body type.
Old 09-26-07, 06:30 PM
dcbikeguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fixedup
So I was just browsing around on the web today and looking for a good deal for my girlfriend ( wants a full carbon bike ) and possibly myself and stumbled across these Motobecanes on bikesdirect.com. They have a full carbon with full ultegra sl groupo for 1730 bucks! Now, I dont know much about this brand and I know I wouldnt really be hesitant if it was just a fixed gear ( what im used to ) or something like that, but this is a full carbon race bike ( something im not used to). I really like the new ultegra sl groupo, but what of the frame?
Liar.
Old 09-26-07, 06:42 PM
CharlieWoo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because she races on a team and wants to upgrade from her old trek 2200 which isnt even a female specific bike. And yes she does ride a lot.
Hmmm, I smell something stinky here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BSMeter.jpg (25.2 KB, 136 views)
Old 09-26-07, 09:26 PM
fixedup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dcbikeguy
Liar.
I kid you not, I remember I was going to buy a cheap fixed gear bike from them and was looking at them because a friend wants one and I had never looked at the top of the page at the road bikes haha, so yes I "stumbled" upon them. But I just read the other forum about this whole site so please feel free to disregard this thread now, it's useless.
Old 09-26-07, 09:29 PM
fixedup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieWoo
Hmmm, I smell something stinky here.
The only BS you smell must be what's coming out of your mouth because she does race, she's the one looking for a bike, not me. I also mentioned in my first post that I MAY BE interested in one, but at the moment im about to buy my second surly, so a carbon fiber pretty bike must wait.
Old 09-26-07, 09:40 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Troll warning.
Old 09-26-07, 09:52 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
One of my buddies had one of those bikes and it snapped on him going over a railroad track. Turned out that the newspaper they lined the inside of the carbon with caused a crease and the frame failed right there.
Old 09-26-07, 10:30 PM
fixedup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
See that's all the info im looking for, not smartass remarks from stuck up people that have nothing better to do that spew bull****.
Old 09-26-07, 10:35 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Do a search if you're seriously looking for info on bikesdirect. It's discussed ad naseum on this forum.
Old 09-26-07, 10:37 PM
fixedup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I know that now, as I stated in an earlier post that this thread is useless.
Old 09-26-07, 10:42 PM
NuBiker
Cedres, Encens et Miel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if your GF races she should know what to buy, save yourself time and do something more useful.
Old 09-26-07, 10:51 PM
Frugle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Filtering through the post..

If your girlfriend is serious about racing, buying a cheap carbon bike probably isn't the best idea. It is never a good idea to get the low end of the high end instead of the high end of the low end. (like say buying a stripped down merc c230, vs. top of the line accord , or a BMW 1 series instead of maxed out mazda 3)

If she wants a carbon frame, she needs to be willing to pay for it...

if you are looking in the 1700 dollar range, there are many GREAT aluminum/carbon bikes... I've been moderately happy with my Fuji, and fuji generally puts a higher end group set on their bikes (like my 1300 dollar Roubaix RC has ultegra components) Giant has some great bikes in that range, but usually it's all 105 stuff.

soooo... yeah.
Old 09-27-07, 12:13 AM
texascyclist

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You guys that sit around to pounce on BD threads are complete numbskulls.

You have to think that it is highly probable that a newb will inquire about BD on one of the most popular forums. If you are a newb google around to find super inexpensive bike online, you are going to end up at BD period. You guys are are complete knee jerk idiots. Way to tick off another potential roadie. You are like Barney Fife sniffing the trail for shills. You end up shooting a potential roadie in the foot.

Old 09-27-07, 12:20 AM
rickhigbee
Crash Test Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ignore those that likely paid too much for their bikes. The minute someone new comes on these boards and mentions BD a small but vocal segment of the community here call them a shill then start attacking BD. The same happened with me. Truth is, I started out in local bike stores myself when I decided to make to switch from a guy putting in 20 miles a day on a hybrid to a full on roadie. One store didn't take me seriously and the other was staffed with teenage kids who's answers to my technical questions bordered on the comical. Still determined to buy a bike I jumped on google and starting looking for "road bike deals." BD was like the 3rd link. I surfed the site a while then came here (also found on google) and asked about the particular bike in question. I was promptly labeled a shill.

Long story short, I bought the BD bike anyway and I love it. Everything was just as described and the bike really exceeded my expectations. However, I knew the features I was looking for, the size and components. Also, I was frustrated by my local bike stores. The internet route worked for me; I agree it won't for everyone.
Old 09-27-07, 03:00 AM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Sprocket Man
This company excels at their marketing efforts. They employ "shills" who post pseudo-questions about their products on bicycle-related forums. As a result, Motobecane is among the most talked about bicycle brands out there, even surpassing Trek and Giant in their online "buzz". It's an amazingly cost-effective strategy, though many would complain that it's a highly unethical way to do business.

As far as their products go,
I have no idea.
Prove it!!
At least the last statement is true!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.