Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

5 x 5 strength training program

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-08, 03:15 PM
hanshun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just started a 5x5 program, its three times a week alternating between a and b workouts. A is squats, bench, invert rows, push ups, abs. B is squat, overhead press, deadlift, pull/chin up, prone bidges. 5 sets of 5 reps with adding weight each time. I'm adding this to my other workouts, 2 swim, 2 run, 2 bike a week. I was reading the program and they really advise against doing much cardio, I was wondering if anyone else has used this program and what their thoughts are on it, if I should add my tri workouts to it or ditch this program and do something else. I am 6'6" and 190 lbs, I'd like to add a little mass to my upper body and really work on my core during winter. I would hate to cut the running/biking/swimming as I think the 2 a week is pretty low as is. I'm very proud of my ability to run longer distances (longer distances to me, ie 5-10 miles). My swim has just started to get a lot faster, under 1:30 per 100. My bike has gotten a lot faster since I got a proper bike, shoes, and started training with a friend from class. Like I say I would hate to loose any of the progress that I have made, but I do want to add mass to my upper body and work on getting a defined six pack
Old 11-03-08, 04:04 PM
trisaiah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I may have some advice, but first I'm curious: where did you get this program from? It looks really similar to a program by Mike Mejia called "Scrawny to Brawny," but there are some differences which I think are problematic.
Old 11-22-08, 04:02 AM
R400Cannon
novice at best

Bikes: 1993 Cannondale R400, 1996 QR tequilo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a great program to add strength to your overall fitness. After doing the program for 2-3 months, go back to your normal routines of cycle, run, swim. People who don't cross train are only hurting themselves in overall fitness. CrossFit is a great overall fitness method that will keep anyone in great shape. I use CrossFit as my main source of fitness and then dabble in specific areas of specialization for enhancement.

Make sure you keep a journal of your progress, and email me with any any questions.

All the best,
Jeff
Old 11-22-08, 10:26 AM
hanshun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the response, because of work and school and its the winter time, I decided to focus on lifting for the next couple months and bulk up a little. Then when tri season comes around I'll get back to running, biking, and swimming and cut some weight. The program has been going awesome, I started out struggling to bench 135 and I just put up 175 today pretty easily after doing my 5 x 5 sets
Old 11-23-08, 11:45 AM
itri-45

Bikes: Orbea Onix 2005; Ordu 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hanshun
I was reading the program and they really advise against doing much cardio, I was wondering if anyone else has used this program and what their thoughts are on it, if I should add my tri workouts to it or ditch this program and do something else.
Off season is the time to build a strong base so I don't like the advice of not doing much cardio.
Old 11-23-08, 04:22 PM
hanshun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've put my main focus on lifting right now, but I still get in 2 workouts a week of swim/bike/run just nothing intense, more base training/distance with a low hr.