Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Coolest long sleeve shirt/jersey for summer riding

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-16, 07:10 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts

I prefer wearing long sleeves for protection from the sun. I've been using Hanes "Cool Dri" tee shirts, and low cost Nashbar jerseys, some of which are pretty thin. Both work fairly well, and are economical, but I wouldn't mind spending more if there is something that would be even cooler.

I bought a pair of Desoto "arm coolers" several years ago to wear with short sleeves, but never really took to them... they didn't feel cooler than the setups mentioned above. A garment that is a little "loose" and not skin tight seems better to me since it offers airflow.

Is there a cooler long sleeve option for hot weather riding in the sun?
Old 05-30-16, 08:25 AM
stdlrf11
Living the Dream

Bikes: 2015 AWOL Frameset with custom drivetrain, 20?? Windsor Tourist, 2010 Specialized Secteur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually run by Ross, Marshals and the Thrift stores when looking for my commuting gear. I found that the name brand athletic clothes (Under Armor, Reebok, Nike, Asics, Adidas, etc.) are much better than the cheaper Walmart brands (Hanes, Starter, etc.). They are cooler, made better, and will last much longer.

Buying the name brands from the discount/thrift stores makes them worth it. Full retail price is ridiculous.

For long sleeve summer shirts, maybe look at the soccer shirts.

Last edited by stdlrf11; 05-30-16 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-30-16, 11:47 AM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I haven't checked for long sleeves, but Russell makes some good quality microfiber clothing these days. I've been riding some light running pants with zip pockets and a hi-vis stripe down the legs for 1.5 years and there's no sign of wear - cost $18.
Old 05-30-16, 12:06 PM
JBHoren
Living 'n Dying in ¾-Time

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I used to wear the long-sleeved, hi-viz jerseys from Ergodyne; however, the cuffs were elasticized cotton and, after carefully removing them, the sleeves did not nearly reach my wrists. So, I searched the Internet and found what I now wear -- long-sleeved, hi-viz jerseys from NiteGear; it's a very lightweight polyester fabric, well-ventilated weave, which stands-up perfectly in the washing machine, holds its color, and protects my skin from the UV rays of South Florida sun (@$16/jersey, with free shipping on orders over $50, I ordered six -- two each in neon yellow, green, and orange). Absolutely no regrets!

PS: I had purchased one of the Hanes "Dri-Fit" jerseys, but found the weave anything but loose, and rarely-if-ever wear it.
Old 05-30-16, 12:26 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a white under armor heat gear shirt that worked great.

It kept the sun off and wasn't oppressively hot. I highly recommend the heat gear line. I also use the heat gear tights on a daily basis.

It was similar to these:

https://www.underarmour.com/en-ca/me...pid1259673-410

https://www.underarmour.com/en-ca/me...pid1269285-040

https://www.underarmour.com/en-ca/me...pid1272218-040

https://www.underarmour.com/en-ca/me...pid1264088-400

https://www.underarmour.com/en-ca/me...pid1271842-001
Old 05-30-16, 01:31 PM
RandomEncounter

Bikes: Holding steady at N

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you willing to give sun sleeves another try? I love the ones from Voler. I'm both heat-intolerant and have the red hair/fair skin combination that means burning very quickly. The Voler sleeves have never made me feel stifled and I haven't burned while wearing them. The fabric is a waffle weave that provides more breathability that other sleeves I've seen.
Old 05-30-16, 02:40 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Underarmour, Navy PT shirts or surfing tops are what I use.
Old 05-30-16, 04:18 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Cheap, light weight poly. Stuff from Champion, Russell, etc.

Construction guys wear long sleeve hi-viz poly shirts by Carhart (Dickies?) with or without reflective accents.

-Kedosto
Old 05-31-16, 10:18 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Thanks everyone, for all the links and suggestions. I will look into them (and revisit use of the arm coolers) and update if I find something that works better for me.
Old 05-31-16, 10:27 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I just wear SPF 60 sun screen and enjoy short sleeves
Old 05-31-16, 12:36 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
I just wear SPF 60 sun screen and enjoy short sleeves
Sure, I use sunscreen on exposed skin, (like on my arms when wearing short sleeves) but personally I do not enjoy wearing sunscreen. The coating feels to me like it clogs my pores and adds a goopy layer of insulation. So while it may be necessary, I don't find it comfortable or cool.

A light, loose fitting fabric, sans sunscreen feels cooler to me.
Old 05-31-16, 12:44 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,477 Times in 1,439 Posts
I understand that excessive exposure is dangerous, but a certain amount seems like a good thing, unless you are a redhead or otherwise very pale. I let myself get tan on my arms and legs, but I will not stand out in the sun for hours on a very sunny day, especially at the beach. I'm white but have very slightly dark skin, so not everyone has the same needs. My beloved aunt did overexpose herself to sun, and that may have been a contributing factor to her lymphoma which took her life early.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-31-16, 12:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Old West they wore white cotton shirts ..
Old 05-31-16, 12:52 PM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whatever longsleeve you wear, get it wet! like seriously, drench it before you put it on. as it evaporates it will cool you. I do this when it's REALLY hot out, even with short sleeve jerseys. anything synthetic will dry relatively fast and you'll be surprised at how cool you feel.
Old 05-31-16, 12:58 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I understand that excessive exposure is dangerous, but a certain amount seems like a good thing, unless you are a redhead or otherwise very pale. I let myself get tan on my arms and legs, but I will not stand out in the sun for hours on a very sunny day, especially at the beach. I'm white but have very slightly dark skin, so not everyone has the same needs. My beloved aunt did overexpose herself to sun, and that may have been a contributing factor to her lymphoma which took her life early.

Ohh thats me and my family; blessed with the gift of no pigment. Long pants, long sleeves, and a wide brimmed hat for me if I am going to be out in the sun; I will be most awesome embarrassing dad! I really enjoy button up cotton shirts in the summer. Now with all my scars on my legs I need to be extra careful with sun exposure. I ended up wearing Old Navy linen pants all last summer and they were great. I have started to really dislike wearing jeans and I prefer khakis or slacks; if I have to wear pants at all that is.
Old 05-31-16, 02:32 PM
andyprough

Bikes: Motobecane

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ypsetihw
whatever longsleeve you wear, get it wet! like seriously, drench it before you put it on. as it evaporates it will cool you. I do this when it's REALLY hot out, even with short sleeve jerseys. anything synthetic will dry relatively fast and you'll be surprised at how cool you feel.

Great idea - never thought of it. Thanks!
Old 05-31-16, 02:41 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
I don't have a long-sleeved shirt option for summer. I have a set of Novara sun sleeve and they are cooling and offer all day sun protection. I must admit, I wasn't a fan of them right out of the gates, but I've come to love them.
Old 06-01-16, 05:09 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Originally Posted by ypsetihw
On the hottest days I squirt myself with my water bottle when stopped at lights. A shot or two in the helmet vents too. I notice that I'm fine as long as I'm rolling, but stop at a light in the hot sun and that's when I start to really feel the effects of the heat.

Interesting read on topic: Summer Science: Clothes Keep You Cool, More Or Less : NPR

"Unfortunately sunscreen sometimes affects sweating," Havenith said. "So the sunscreen then might reduce the amount of sweat evaporation or the amount of sweat production.
Makes sense to me, and agrees with my experience.
Old 06-01-16, 09:49 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Performance Sun Pro II Long Sleeve Jersey

I don't have one of these, but I'm going to check it out soon.
Old 06-01-16, 10:40 AM
SpikedLemon

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the Underarmour stuff and Nike stuff I have: it breathes well for me. I pick it up from Winners/Marshalls.
I have a REebok one but it's partly insulated for cooler weather.

I've got some of the Old Navy fitness stuff but it's pretty low-rent and won't recommend it at all. The Walmart brand stuff is, surprisingly, much better (though no amount of washing seems to get the funk out of it - after a few years).

I find, for long sleeves when it's hot out to keep cool, that it works best for me to have it tight rather than loose.
Old 06-01-16, 01:37 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
On the hottest days I squirt myself with my water bottle when stopped at lights. A shot or two in the helmet vents too. I notice that I'm fine as long as I'm rolling, but stop at a light in the hot sun and that's when I start to really feel the effects of the heat.

Interesting read on topic: Summer Science: Clothes Keep You Cool, More Or Less : NPR

Makes sense to me, and agrees with my experience.
Yeah! Some cold water on the head does wonders on a hot day. I like to douse my cycling cap in cold water before heading out in the 90-95+ degree afternoon temps in the dead of the summer. As long as I am moving I feel great, but each stoplight I hit, oof.
Old 06-01-16, 07:45 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
I have been finding cheap poly type shirts at Wallyworld. They are mesh or have mesh panels and seem to often come in bright colors and some are even cut longer in the back like a cycling jersey. They are very light material.
Old 06-02-16, 11:27 AM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Linen is the fabric of choice worldwide for hot climates.....Works well for bicycles also.