Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What bag should I get?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What bag should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-16, 07:09 PM
Bote

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commuter bag?

Hi, I bought my first bike (and this is my first post so go easy on me). My other one was a walmart type one and was free, so its an upgrade at $1000.

It is the Giant Fastroad TSR 2 (https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca...2/20463/80568/). I wanted to get the fastest bike I could get at my store that would go on gravel. The cyclocross was $1500 which was way too expensive.

I am commuting 106km (on some weekends) at perhaps 20-30km/h the whole way, some of it on gravel. I changed the 25 tires to thick 32mm ones. I plan to carry a change of clothes, 2 books, and some food. Any aerodynamic bag suggestions (backpacks or mounted)?

(Also, is there a lock that I can get such that I can fit a water bottle holder?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike.jpg (97.4 KB, 279 views)

Last edited by Bote; 10-21-16 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-15-16, 11:25 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
You are commuting 65 miles a day? Is this round trip or each way? Nice bike btw.
Old 06-16-16, 03:51 AM
bikeclub

Bikes: Many machines in pieces on the ground.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you're carrying just that and not a laptop, you could go with a randonneuring or seatpost mounted rack, which would put the bag up and behind your slipstream. It doesn't look like you have regular rack mounts either.

Nice bike, and that's one heck of a ride everyday!
Old 06-16-16, 04:07 AM
Bote

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I don't have to ride that every day though. My every day is only 25km each way. This is just more for weekends.
Old 06-16-16, 05:36 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
This bike caught my eye when I first saw it at the local high school track. A gentleman had it there with his children. Though he had the dropbar version. I'm curious why you opted for the flatbar. It's a very cool looking bike for sure.

Some kind of seatpost/seat mounted apparatus would work fine for you if you're not planning to carry heavy or bulky stuff. A backpack would work fine too. This is what I do most of the time. My commute is 20 km each way. You can look at ones that have vented backs if you are concerned with sweaty back.
Old 06-16-16, 05:54 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Does this bike take a rack? That would be my first choice. I'd also take a look at a carradice bag with a quick release attachment.
Old 06-16-16, 09:28 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
I rack my backpack, but I do it a certain way. I run a bungie from the seatpost to the back of the bikerack, and slip the backpack in there. It's quick and fast. I use a backpack with grommets on the side and put D-Clips in there to make certain the back pack stays in place. When it rains I put a kitchen trash bag over the back pack and don't use the clips, which is what I did for 15 years before adding them. Even without the clips, I never had a backpack fall off, even when the bike tipped or fell.
Attached Images
0426151632a.jpg (102.0 KB, 258 views)
0531151123bam.jpg (63.7 KB, 254 views)
Old 06-16-16, 10:06 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Bike Packing Bags , since you got a Higher end bike, racks were not planned for so you use the seat post and Handlebars .

https://www.ortlieb.com/en/Seat-Pack/ / https://www.ortlieb.com/en/Handlebar-Pack/

There are other makers , the German Ortlieb are world renowned for their Waterproofness..
Old 06-16-16, 10:16 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
General consensus seems to be backpack or saddlebag if not carrying much. Racks and pannier(s) of you need to have more. See if you can leave the books out (are they available online or as PDF?). Also try to leave the lock out (can you leave it on the destination rack?). Then you can lighten your load up somewhat. I personally just do the backpack for now (Columbia Cresent Peak 23L).

Edit: I left out the handlebar bag. Maybe a decent sized one might also suit your needs for commuting?

Last edited by ptempel; 06-16-16 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-16-16, 10:18 AM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Use a backpack.
I wouldn't want to ruin such a pretty bike with a rack and bag.
this
Old 06-16-16, 12:00 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
I have found a messenger bag to be more comfortable than a backpack in my experience. Not sure how much you want to spend so you may want to put up a budget before you decide.
Old 06-16-16, 05:36 PM
Bote

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the great replies.

What kind of backpack? I need something that doesn't move around when I am going 40km/h.

I found this one online: MOMENTUM 22 - Osprey Packs Official Site

This one, https://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Cres.../dp/B004ZCJXY8, as ptempel pointed out is $250 dollars. Isn't that a lot of money? Does it have an extra strap around the waist to keep it steady?
Old 06-17-16, 07:34 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Originally Posted by Bote;18851004This one, [url
https://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Crescent-Peak-23L-Backpack/dp/B004ZCJXY8[/url], as ptempel pointed out is $250 dollars. Isn't that a lot of money? Does it have an extra strap around the waist to keep it steady?
Wow. Maybe I should sell mine? I definately didn't pay that. Recall getting it at a Columbia store in Seattle when I was out there on vacation 4 or 5 years ago. It might not be available so pick something else similar if you like.

Edit: Columbia's site is here: https://www.columbia.com/mens-backpacks-bags/ Maybe something like the Circuit Breaker Daypack or the Silver Ridge 20L backpack might work. But definately widen your search with other brands and hit up an REI or Campmor if one is near you. I like the 23L size. It seems to fit most of my clothing choices. It might get a little tight during the winter when I need to carry more clothes to layer up. But it still works for me.

Last edited by ptempel; 06-17-16 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-17-16, 09:13 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I would not want to carry a backpack for that distance, but I also agree it's sometimes a shame to put a rack on your light fast bike. Having to carry books makes a rack more attractive IMO.

For a light commuting load - just clothes - hanging a bag in the front triangle turned out to be the most convenient for me. I'm also experimenting with an aerodynamic handlebar trunk, but it wouldn't accommodate books. I really think for 106 km and some rougher road surface the most reasonable option is installing a rear rack. Select a bag for whatever's best for carrying off the bike, and just bungie cord it on the rack. Having also a cargo net is convenient for light loads or additional stuff.
Old 06-17-16, 10:17 AM
ptempel

Originally Posted by wphamilton
For a light commuting load - just clothes - hanging a bag in the front triangle turned out to be the most convenient for me.
@wphamilton, which frame bag are you using? Haven't thought of that option before. Was looking at this one:

Products | Ibera ? The Cycling Life

Looks nice and the price is good at only $15 on Amazon. Only worry for me is the small capacity (the large is 5L). Might be too tight for the work clothing and a few tools.

Edit: Thought I recognised that name. I have their aluminum water bottle cage and its really good and a steal at $9:

https://www.amazon.com/Ibera-Bicycle...ra+bottle+cage

Last edited by ptempel; 06-17-16 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-17-16, 11:26 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel
@wphamilton, which frame bag are you using? Haven't thought of that option before. Was looking at this one:
I just used nylon drawstring bags, adding hooks on bottom to go around seat tube, a strap at the top going around the head tube, and a strap on the side to loop over the top tube.

Just tie hooks on the drawstring ends out the bottom, loop around the seat tube and hook back into the eyelets. Costs basically nothing and works like a charm as long as you don't overstuff it (making you ride splayed knees).

ps, the trick to that is having the head tube strap on the same drawstring as on the bottom corner going around the seat post. That way you get a nice tight line on the bottom edge which keeps it from flapping around loose. the nice thing is you pull it off and it's just a bag like anyone else might carry.

Last edited by wphamilton; 06-17-16 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-18-16, 04:16 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bote
Hi, I bought my first bike (and this is my first post so go easy on me). My other one was a walmart type one and was free, so its an upgrade at $1000:

It is the Giant Fastroad TSR 2 (https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca...2/20463/80568/). I wanted to get the fastest bike I could get at my store that would go on gravel. The cyclocross was $1500 which was way too expensive.

I am commuting 106km (on some weekends) at perhaps 20-30km/h the whole way, some of it on gravel. I changed the 25 tires to thick 32mm ones. I plan to carry a change of clothes, 2 books, and some food. Any aerodynamic bag suggestions (backpacks or mounted)?

(Also, is there a lock that I can get such that I can fit a water bottle holder?)
Sierra Trading Post has two Chrome backpacks right now.
Old 06-18-16, 05:00 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
In college I used my messenger bag. Even with heavy books, it wasn't hard to get used to.
Old 06-20-16, 06:41 PM
Bote

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I might get a bag tomorrow. I am thinking about the Osprey Momentum 30. There is a 22 liter and this 30 liter Momentum bag (for commuting), but my local store only has the 30 liter. Is 30 liter too big for 106 km?
Old 06-21-16, 04:22 AM
Trewim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Giant Toughroad, it was fairly light and fast but my sole purpose for the bike was commuting and fitness, not racing. I highly recommend a rack and bags. I started out backpacking and found it to be rather unpleasant.
Old 06-22-16, 03:05 PM
Bote

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the replies. My local bike store ordered this for me: Arkel Randonneur Rack - Seat Post Rack - Carbon Seat Post Friendly
Old 06-23-16, 10:29 AM
SpikedLemon

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the great replies.

What kind of backpack? I need something that doesn't move around when I am going 40km/h.
This: Velotransit.
https://www.velotransit.com/collecti...cling-backpack

Mine's several years old. I've a custom sleeve for my laptop and I was the instigator for the tumbler side pockets (so I could take my coffee to work).
https://www.velotransit.com/collecti...er-side-pocket

I purchased it when commuting ~200km/day on my motorcycle (I'm much closer to work now and can bicycle).
It does not move around at high speeds (>100km/h) and has protected my laptop from many a downpour.
Old 07-07-16, 08:26 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Thank you for the replies. My local bike store ordered this for me: Arkel Randonneur Rack - Seat Post Rack - Carbon Seat Post Friendly
was disappointed by the one seatpost rack I tried and wound up DIY'ing vertical supports to keep it from swinging left/right as I pedaled. that movement also pivoted my seatpost. also, I tend to overpack so I wound up with a heavy load. eventually switched to a conventional rack. I like that the rack you showed has some kind of additional support, looks like to the saddle rails. fyi - there are ways to mount traditional racks using p-clips aka compression clamps
Attached Images
compression clamps.jpg (35.5 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-07-16 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-07-16, 05:29 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I guess I'm lucky. I have custom mounted Saddleman saddlebags on Tempest and two Honda Goldwing Aspencade buckets to mount on my Schwinn eventually (those were free) and good old Wald paperboy baskets for my new Rollfast Rosa.
Old 07-07-16, 08:24 PM
the_freewheeler
The Freewheeler

Bikes: '37 Iver Johnson Racer, '44 BSA Airborne, '45 Swiss Militarvelo, '92 Fat City Slim Chance, '97 Pinarello Monviso, '03 Giant TCR Composite, '12 Bianchi Super Pista, '15 Humble CX

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use a Mission Workshop Rambler expandable backpack and absolutely love it. Their bags are expensive, but their quality definitely warrant the cost. The rambler quickly unzips and doubles its capacity in an instant. Use it "compressed" for daily commute to work, carrying clothes, shoes, towel, lunch, etc. Use it on the weekends "unzipped" to go grocery shopping and it carries everything.

Mission Workshop Backpacks

Best of luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.