Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fulcrum Racing 5/7 LG opinion?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-16, 10:46 AM
SpikedLemon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've popped my last spoke on my OEM rims for my liking and am shopping for new wheels on a budget.

Most (read: all) of my riding is recreational but I'm on the heavier side of the 'line' (~220lbs/100kg). I'm looking for durable road wheels on a budget (weight is less an issue as I ride for exercise rather than racing). All my broken spokes have been at the J-bend on the rear wheel and I want to move to straight pull spokes.

I'm considering the Fulcrum 7LG wheels (the CX variant has sealed bearings for wet days) or the 5LG- Anyone have experience with them (or the, prior, non-LG's)?
I had some email exchanges with PBK and they felt that the Fulcrum's would be the best suited.

My local shop had recommended some Alex AT550 or R390 rims (32-spoke with Shimano Tiagra hubs).

I'm still getting them to fix my OEM wheels so I've got a second set.
Old 08-24-16, 10:59 AM
apaulson714

Bikes: 2002 TCR 2 w/ Shimano 105 5800

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpikedLemon
I've popped my last spoke on my OEM rims for my liking and am shopping for new wheels on a budget.

Most (read: all) of my riding is recreational but I'm on the heavier side of the 'line' (~220lbs/100kg). I'm looking for durable road wheels on a budget (weight is less an issue as I ride for exercise rather than racing). All my broken spokes have been at the J-bend on the rear wheel and I want to move to straight pull spokes.

I'm considering the Fulcrum 7LG wheels (the CX variant has sealed bearings for wet days) or the 5LG- Anyone have experience with them (or the, prior, non-LG's)?
I had some email exchanges with PBK and they felt that the Fulcrum's would be the best suited.

My local shop had recommended some Alex AT550 or R390 rims (32-spoke with Shimano Tiagra hubs).

I'm still getting them to fix my OEM wheels so I've got a second set.
Picked up a set of Fulcrum 7 wheels from PBK just a few months ago, with a coupon form them i paid $130 shipped and i couldnt be happier with them. They are on the heavier side, but for the price, they are wonderful.

Everybody i know who rides Fulcrum wheels ( i know a couple ppl with 3s, 5s and a guy with 0s) has had nothing but good things to say.

As long as the price is right, you wont be disappointed by them.
Old 08-24-16, 11:20 AM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I have had both the LG and previous non-lg CX. The LG ha a lower spoke count. I ran the 2012 vintage for several years and put over 5k miles on them. My weight varied from 200 lbs to 230. They were pretty bomb proof, only need slight tweaks to true them.

I was doing such a tweak when a spoke broke. Brought it to lbs for repair and they trashed the wheel, so bought LG. I haven't put a whole lot of miles on them because I got a new bike I have mostly been riding, but they seem fine.

I am pretty impressed that such a low spoke count wheel supports a Clydesdale as well as it does.

Last edited by GeneO; 08-24-16 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-24-16, 12:07 PM
SpikedLemon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by apaulson714
I think you're right. I will definitely keep an eye out for deals on it.

I just got a call from the LBS that the prior shop that repaired it did not note or address the damage from the chain (I had the chain drop behind the cassette).

The Alex rim will get me rolling in a timely manner.
Old 08-24-16, 12:32 PM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picked up a set of Fulcrum 7 wheels from PBK just a few months ago, with a coupon form them i paid $130 shipped and i couldnt be happier with them. They are on the heavier side, but for the price, they are wonderful.

Everybody i know who rides Fulcrum wheels ( i know a couple ppl with 3s, 5s and a guy with 0s) has had nothing but good things to say.

I second the Fulcrum 7 LG wheelset. If they are available the Campy khamsin with G3 spoke pattern are a good buy as well for under $150
Old 08-24-16, 02:13 PM
apaulson714

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpikedLemon
I think you're right. I will definitely keep an eye out for deals on it.

I just got a call from the LBS that the prior shop that repaired it did not note or address the damage from the chain (I had the chain drop behind the cassette).

The Alex rim will get me rolling in a timely manner.

PBK has the Fulcrum 7s at $125 and 10% off with free shipping. Seriously great wheel at that price.
Old 08-24-16, 03:27 PM
Inpd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PBK has the Fulcrum 7s at $125 and 10% off with free shipping. Seriously great wheel at that price.
Please read some of the threads/posts about PBK service. That 10% off coupon may not be worth it. For what its worth, my Campy and Fulcrum wheels came perfectly packaged and true from Merlin and CRC respectively.
Old 08-24-16, 03:38 PM
apaulson714

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Inpd
Please read some of the threads/posts about PBK service. That 10% off coupon may not be worth it. For what its worth, my Campy and Fulcrum wheels came perfectly packaged and true from Merlin and CRC respectively.
Ive read many of the posts, and while there are some with bad stories, it seems the majority haven't had an issue. Ordered my wheels from PBK, group from wiggle and other misc stuff from merlin all on the same day, PBK got here in like 4 days and was weeks faster than the others. I wouldnt hesitate to order from them again.
Old 08-24-16, 03:40 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
I have a set of Campagnolo Khamsins and a set of Campy Ventos, almost identical to the Fulcrum 7's and 5's respectively. For the money it's hard to beat the Khamsins/7's; they are very robust and I used to think that the bearings rolled forever. That is, until I got the Vento/5's. They roll even better still, are about 100 grams lighter, have a slightly more aero profile and bladed spokes. I only got the Ventos in April, so I cannot vouch for the durability, but they are a little faster, although I've decided I'm not a fan of bladed spokes (it's windy here in Oklahoma).
Either way, in my opinion it's hard to go wrong with Fulcrum or Campy wheels.
Old 08-24-16, 04:09 PM
Inpd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive read many of the posts, and while there are some with bad stories, it seems the majority haven't had an issue. Ordered my wheels from PBK, group from wiggle and other misc stuff from merlin all on the same day, PBK got here in like 4 days and was weeks faster than the others. I wouldnt hesitate to order from them again.
There are two main problems. The service issues mentioned (see https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...-bike-kit.html) which are a pain and just bad form. But the credit card fraud issue scare me though it goes back a long way and seems to be getting less (see https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...-incident.html). Talk to anyone whose had their ID stolen and the PBK credit card fraud issues are just not worth to save a few extra bucks.
Old 08-24-16, 04:52 PM
nemeseri

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL build, CAAD10, Bianchi Pista '13, Litespeed Antares '03

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Re Fulcrum wheels: for the price I think they deliver a fantastic value in the low-mid category. I have a Racing 3 and a Racing 7 LG and both wheels proved to be bombproof and light for their category. I'd pick them over any other brand for entry level. Also you might look into entry level shimanos those also tend to be good.

Re PBK: seriously. Credit card fraud is very common and I've never had any issues with them particularly. **** happens, you should monitor your credit cards closely. That's why you have insurance on them. I would not hesitate to buy from any of the UK vendors because of this.
Old 08-24-16, 05:20 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Yeah, got my 7s from wiggle for $130 and free shipping. That's great for overseas.
Old 08-24-16, 05:50 PM
Inpd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nemeseri
Re Fulcrum wheels: for the price I think they deliver a fantastic value in the low-mid category. I have a Racing 3 and a Racing 7 LG and both wheels proved to be bombproof and light for their category. I'd pick them over any other brand for entry level. Also you might look into entry level shimanos those also tend to be good.

Re PBK: seriously. Credit card fraud is very common and I've never had any issues with them particularly. **** happens, you should monitor your credit cards closely. That's why you have insurance on them. I would not hesitate to buy from any of the UK vendors because of this.
If you read deep into that thread I posted you'll find that PBK outsourced their credit card transactions which seems to be an issue.

Credit card fraud is common but some companies are just better at protecting your information.
Old 08-24-16, 06:29 PM
fa63

Bikes: A couple

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am 225 lbs and have been riding 5 LG for several thousand miles. No issues and still as true as when I first bought them. Atlanta's roads are not the best either. I run 25 mm front / 28 mm rear tires, for what it is worth.
Old 08-25-16, 06:12 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I put over 18K miles on my Fulcrum Racing7, the stock wheels on the CAAD10 4, no issues with them at all. spokes remain tight to this day, and no broken ones either. The reason to upgrade to the 7LG model was due to moving to a 6800, 11-speed Ultegra groupset, and needing a compatible 11-speed freehub.

I picked mine up from Ribble at the same time I ordered the group, they were on sale at the same time, IIRC they were ~ $130.00 for the pair. So far they have given me the same good service as the originals did. Those are still in my shop awaiting a build here shortly. No reason to get rid of good wheels. I am well within the weight recommendation by Fulcrum, @ 172lbs, so I cannot speak to any problems from that aspect.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 08-25-16 at 06:25 AM.
Old 08-25-16, 10:55 AM
SpikedLemon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
Yeah, got my 7s from wiggle for $130 and free shipping. That's great for overseas.
The Free Shipping is what really tips the scales at that price. Thanks for the lead.

The Campy versions of the same wheel (Shimano comp) are actually cheaper than the Fulcrums.

Originally Posted by fa63
I am 225 lbs and have been riding 5 LG for several thousand miles. No issues and still as true as when I first bought them. Atlanta's roads are not the best either. I run 25 mm front / 28 mm rear tires, for what it is worth.
I wanted to go to 28's - my rear is too tight for a 28. I tried one a while back and it rubs on the chain stay.
Old 08-25-16, 11:21 AM
musicmaster

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking of picking up a pair of Racing 5 LG from a local guy on Craig's List for $150 as I need an 11 speed freehub as well. Wonder if it's better than the Forte Titans I have on now.