Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do road cyclists make better motorcyclists?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-16, 10:28 AM
Essex

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am not sure this belongs in this forum...but given I ride a road bike (and like to go fast in general) would probably find more folks here who ride both a fast bike & motorcycle too.

Did a quick search but did not find much. I am thinking of getting a Ducati, or BMW Sport, or naked bike soon. My premise is that race cyclists make better motorcyclists than just car drivers /peds. transitioning to motorcycles? Given our greater knowledge of road hazards (plus overall physical fitness/acuity) - we can foresee hazards like knucklehead drivers preparing to make a ****can move, slick parts of road, jittery animal as well a practical skills like riding over small potholes at speed, not getting bunched up, or developing bad habits like thinking a Harley, or cruiser bike seat equates to a living room sofa.

The only accidents I have ever had on both a race bike and motorcycle were caused by other people. A load of wet cow manure on a tight S curve spun me out on my Honda 750 + some guy making a illegal right when I was on my aero bars. 30 + years with no accident - I'm thinking I'm pretty good? Or just delusional?

Motorcycle rider/racers thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Essex
Old 05-15-16, 10:32 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
I used to ride motorbikes for many years when I was younger. This made me a better car driver as I am aware of perils and dangers which many car drivers don't bother about. This has also made me a better cyclist, as I'm not afraid to be a bit bolder sometimes and take the centre of the lane if I need to turn.

Same goes for cycling .... you become a better car driver as you are more alert of your surroundings especially in heavier traffic
Old 05-15-16, 11:19 AM
dougphoto

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
I ride both bikes with and without motors. I for sure think riding a bike makes you a better motorcyclist. Riding a bike makes you very aware of traffic and other hazards going on around you. I also think cycling handling skills translate into motorcycle skills.
Old 05-15-16, 11:37 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Of course. One of the first tbings I learned when i started racing bicycles was to countersteer and put all my weight on the outside pedal in corners and exactly the same technique is used in moto racing. Read Kieth Code's bokks on moto racing and he describes the same thing.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 05-15-16, 12:20 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I did(1000cc)/do(scooter) both - now. I find my caution/self preservation is very common to both. A green light means I can get smacked by someone that cuts the red. Both scare me.
Handling, I don't think so.
As an "older guy" I still prefer a bent forward position.
Old 05-15-16, 12:52 PM
FullGas

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
it's a valid topic for discussion. I'm considering getting a sport bike and had similar questions regarding how skills translate from one activity to the other.

Last edited by cb400bill; 05-15-16 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Clean up
Old 05-15-16, 01:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You talking FIM closed course MotoGP racers , or just weekend riders out on a cruise on their big bike with the wife

Sounds like you have mostly open road issues with other people ..

A bicyclist and a Motorcyclist are both vulnerable to traffic collisions ,

But at least the Leather Gear would be better than Lycra when the rubber-side is not on the road.

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-15-16 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-15-16, 01:34 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Essex
I am thinking of getting a Ducati, or BMW Sport, or naked bike soon.
Duc's and BMW's are nice but overpriced especially when it's time for parts and service (look up the cost of replacement fairings), and naked bikes make your body a parachute.

Anyway, I raced 600's and 750's in the CMRA and no, a cyclist would not make a better motorcyclist. It's vice verca. I've seen guys on group rides go down after hitting gravel and oil in corners that I saw way before we even got there, but on a motorcycle you learn to be aware of all that stuff so you don't die.
Old 05-15-16, 02:05 PM
GeoKrpan
George Krpan

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Years ago, Miguel Duhamel was in my cycling club. Motorcycle racing made him a good cyclist.

The Bostrom brothers live in my area and they are fantastic cyclists.

Last edited by cb400bill; 05-15-16 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-15-16, 02:20 PM
jkcrowell

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to agree with several of the posters who said that it's the heightened situational awareness that really translates from motorcycles to bikes.

I had a motorcycle before I really got into road cycling and that was something I noticed right away, I was already used to scanning ahead, looking at a driver's eyes in their car (to see if they see me), checking out intersections, road conditions, etc.
Old 05-15-16, 02:43 PM
Essex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks fellas for your insights. And it is a valid topic of conversation given the % percentage of accidents which occur as a result of motorcyclists doing things a bike racer would not normally do. Examples might include: speeding between stalled cars, not looking ahead in a busy intersection, speed conservatism around corners and in general - bike racers having developed a higher degree of situational awareness. It's easy enough to see qualitative evidence by watching the numerous motorcycle accidents on Youtube. The fun crashes are filmed on Mulholland Drive. The not so fun ones are in high density cities in Eastern Europe, or Asia. All said - you watch enough you see a pattern which relates to situational awareness, road skills which are earned and in general not being stupid. One thing road cyclists DO NOT TEND to be is inattentive on their bikes.

On a motorcycle note - have ridden only motorcycles without fairings. Did not much like full fairing bikes although they are quite nice for those long hours at highway speeds. And yeah - Ducati's and BMW's have a higher cost of operation associated with them. The newer Duc's have improved mechanically since Audi bought them out. And man, the Italians (like the older Colnago/DeRosa bikes) know how to shape a motorcycle. The last thing I want is a V twin couch/Honda Goldwing on wheels (with fairing) which can't carve a corner like my Tarmac.

Last bit - if there were anything like a forward-thinking insurance company maybe they should offer discounts to folks who ride bikes professionally/competitively, or have experience, or proficiency with velocity-related sports, or occupations.

Last edited by Essex; 05-15-16 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-15-16, 02:45 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
I used to ride motorbikes for many years when I was younger. This made me a better car driver as I am aware of perils and dangers which many car drivers don't bother about. This has also made me a better cyclist, as I'm not afraid to be a bit bolder sometimes and take the centre of the lane if I need to turn.

Same goes for cycling .... you become a better car driver as you are more alert of your surroundings especially in heavier traffic
This. I was a motorcyclist before I was a cyclist by about 5 yrs. Knowing how to ride one helps with the other. And, certainly makes you a more attentive car driver. FWIW I have been riding Ducatis sing 1998. Before that a BMW. Ducatis are as reliable as other marques (despite reputation) but it is hard to find a good Ducati mechanic. I have ridden my current Ducati Supersport on a couple 1,000 mi. days and have taken others cross-country. Great bikes.
Old 05-15-16, 02:48 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
I agree that it is situational awareness plus a heightened ability to anticipate the opposing force's move. I rode motorcycles for nearly a decade before getting into cycling. I also took plenty of drops on the motorcycles and learned how to roll and tumble. Finally...understanding the quality of traction, picking a line, understanding the dynamic handling of two wheels...all come into play.
Old 05-15-16, 02:55 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Taking the racer's line through a corner on a bicycle is a major challenge on a group ride. Most recreational rides have no idea what you are doing and will go under you always. You really have to know who you are riding with.
Old 05-15-16, 02:58 PM
KonaRider125

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 4 Star, Kona Splice, Nashbar Carbon road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting topic. What I would like to know out of curiosity is; how do most motorcyclists regard serious cyclists? Generally do motorcyclists like or dislike cyclists?
Old 05-15-16, 03:06 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Most road cyclists in my area could do with the equivalent of the MSF Basic Riders Course to train safe competent bike handlers on open public roads.

-Bandera
Old 05-15-16, 03:27 PM
Essex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KonaRider125
Interesting topic. What I would like to know out of curiosity is; how do most motorcyclists regard serious cyclists? Generally do motorcyclists like or dislike cyclists?
I think education / cultural awareness / economic demographics probably affects perception. When I am a car driver I am very, very aware of serious cyclists and do everything to allow them to do what they want on the road. And same for recreational cyclists. I am imagine someone who likes high end bikes, motorcycles and cars perceives them with a higher degree of respect vs. someone who sees cyclists as road nuisances vs. vulnerable, exposed humans on two-wheeled machines.
Old 05-15-16, 03:45 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
IMO, it depends. I've encountered any number of cyclists whose riding skills wouldn't translate well to a motorbike.
Old 05-15-16, 03:50 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Will only share my experience having ridden motorcycles and road bikes for decades.
I stopped riding motorcycles. I love motorcycles and one of the hardest things I have done. My decision and self induced. Reason is I made a choice. I know I can get run over on my road bike at any time in a dedicated bike lane. I mostly stick to cycling specific roads and I live in a town chosen for its bicycle friendliness.

I quit riding motorcycles because no amount of vigilance...ride like your invisible, leave yourself an out, ride 360 degrees, etc etc will ever compensate for the moronic driving habits of others. Yes, motorcycle riders can be just as incompetent as those that group ride on road bikes and the incredible ineptness and selfishness of car drivers which is even aggravated by age...real young and real old drivers.

OP, if you can keep from riding a motorcycle, I say try to. Again, I love motorcycles. If you have to scratch that itch, own an inexpensive track bike and ride at the track in full gear only.

So I made a personal decision all said, that I preferred road bike riding to motorcycle riding which I did but just fractionally. I didn't want to get my body f-ed up by having a mindless idiot turn in front of me minding my own business at 50 mph going down the road. Or an old lady whose foot slips by accident off the brake and into my path. Can't control the ineptness of others but you can limit the amount you subject yourself to those with no skill who can hurt you in the blink of an eye.

Good luck.
PS: I believe being a good motorcyclist...taking all the courses, knowing about traction and front and rear braking, countersteering etc makes people better bike riders. Situational awareness as mentioned. Also not knowing how to countersteer...probably the vast majority of motorcyclists don't, likely kills a good percentage of motorcyclists each year because they go into a corner too hot and can't lean the bike enough to make the curve. If you push on the inside of the handlebar a motorcycle will collapse into a turn....what pro riders and top amateur racers do instinctively.
Old 05-15-16, 04:05 PM
Essex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Camp for your thoughts....and it is a 25- 30 yr itch I want to scratch again. For sure.
Old 05-15-16, 04:52 PM
Lazyass

I've said before that even professional cyclists would benefit from motorcycle track instruction. Of course this being the drama section of BF I was mocked. Just take a look at the crashes at Guardsman Pass in the Tour of Utah last year. Those guys had no clue how to properly brake and take the proper line cornering at high speeds, and they're professionals.
Old 05-15-16, 04:59 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by Campag4life
I quit riding motorcycles because no amount of vigilance...ride like your invisible, leave yourself an out, ride 360 degrees, etc etc will ever compensate for the moronic driving habits of others. Yes, motorcycle riders can be just as incompetent as those that group ride on road bikes and the incredible ineptness and selfishness of car drivers which is even aggravated by age...real young and real old drivers.
I've had a lot of close calls with idiot drivers but a deer almost ended my life. I was riding my GSXR750 on a rural highway outside of Glenrose, TX going 75mph (which was the speed limit) and a deer bolted out from the woodline and actually hit me in the right leg and scratched up my fairing. How I kept the bike up I'll never know, but it would have been death of I had gone down or if it had took off a fraction of a second sooner and I had hit it head on. I know a lot of guys who race but never ride on the street.
Old 05-15-16, 05:00 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I think it's mainly motorcycling that improves cyclists rather cycling improving motorcyclists.
Old 05-15-16, 05:05 PM
kantquit

Bikes: FeltV90f

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have to agree,on a motorcycle you have to think way ahead and anticipate.most cyclists seem to have their head down while pumping
Old 05-15-16, 05:11 PM
SteelIsRealHevy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All the bikers I see driving between vehicles in traffic must be cyclists!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.