Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's it like switching to a road bike from a MTB?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-16, 04:58 PM
morgothaod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I have never been on a road bike. When switching from a mountain bike, what will my experience be like? Thanks
Old 06-13-16, 05:03 PM
dougphoto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
A road bike will react quicker in every way. You will probably find it a bit squirrely at first. You will ride longer and faster.
Old 06-13-16, 05:30 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
You'll be surprised at how smooth, quick and light it feels. And you'll either get hooked instantly or find it boring. Only one way to find out. It will make you a stronger mountain biker.
Old 06-13-16, 05:38 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Awkward. +4 or 5 mph. Neck pain, at first, from looking up. Maybe a little in your legs too just due to different position/fit.

It's stiff and responsive, maybe not twitchy. There's a great feeling that you are being asked for greater effort, and all your effort is being turned into forward progress.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-13-16, 05:44 PM
LUW

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 / 2013 Caloi Carbon Elite 29er / 2015 Cannondale CAADX 105 / 2017 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I come from a mtb background, and before I started riding road bikes I also had this idea that a road bike was uncomfortable, fast and nervous. If you asked me some 10 years ago, I would have said that the main difference was speed. Nowadays I learned that a road bike does not need to be uncomfortable, you can have a pretty laid back ride and that it's not exactly faster, depending on the conditions. I would say that the main difference is when you come up onto obstacles; on a 29er you just go over the thing and don't think much about it, but on a road bike you have to plan ahead and negotiate the obstacle.

Of course, horses for courses, but you will be a better cyclist if you can ride both as they're intended to be ridden. *Every* rider will benefit from cross training.
Old 06-13-16, 10:02 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Smoother, more responsive, faster (but not as much as some believe). A bit twitchy at first, but OK after 2-3 rides.
Old 06-13-16, 10:21 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Narrow.
Old 06-13-16, 10:24 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
It'll be like... your first time.
Old 06-14-16, 08:46 AM
SpikedLemon

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hard. Unbelievably hard. Your first pothole will make you think you've shattered either your bike or yourself. (You likely won't, of course)

But the lightness, responsiveness and speed will open your eyes.
Old 06-14-16, 08:49 AM
sheltonlp
Road Newbie

Bikes: Focus Izalco, Scott Speedster 20, Giant 29er Hardtail MTB, Giant Full Susp MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As what others have said but another thing that impressed me was the sheer amount of miles you can put on a road bike. A good ride for me when I was on the trail was around 20 miles, now on a road bike I think anything less than 60 miles is too short.
Old 06-14-16, 11:06 AM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
You'll be surprised at how smooth, quick and light it feels. And you'll either get hooked instantly or find it boring. Only one way to find out. It will make you a stronger mountain biker.
This is so true. I was an avid mtb rider in the 90's. I was always a runner as well but hated road bikes. 6-7 years ago I started riding my mtb on the road to supplement my running as I was running 7 days per week. I bought a hybrid and loved how much faster that was on the road than my mtb. After 2 weeks, I helped my neighbor fix his road bike. I borrowed it one morning and was blown away by how fast it was. A week later, there was a new road bike in the garage and I sold the hybrid. I still run and ride mtb as well. Running is my passion but biking is right up there. It is a different experience than mtb but in a good way. I love them both but in my area, I have to travel 45 minutes to get to any descent trails. Thus, road has taken over most of my biking. I agree with the post above though. You either love it or you do not. I must not have been ready to embrace it in the 90's but I am glad that I gave it another try. Honestly, I knew about a mile into my ride with the neighbors borrowed road bike that I was hooked. I do not find it any more or less comfortable than my mtb. I do pay more attention to my equipment though. For example, I am less inclined to try any shorts for my road bike. For my mtb, I own a pair of Zoic but I also wear whatever is on sale or sometimes I just wear regular shorts and thsirts.
Old 06-14-16, 12:21 PM
cave12man

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
It'll be like... your first time.
So, like warm apple pie?

Old 06-14-16, 01:55 PM
Gonemad

Bikes: '05 Klein Reve V, '96 Stump Jumper M2, Ancient Ex-Mt. Beater

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ever hit 40+ mph on your mt. bike? No problem on a road bike, that is given the proper conditions.

No need to drive your car to/from your ride; though I do realize there are those lucky few that have great trails a short ride away, or road riders who live in urban centers.

Last edited by Gonemad; 06-14-16 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-14-16, 02:41 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
You'll have to stop smoking pot and start drinking wine.
Old 06-14-16, 02:52 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Cleaner.

Also accidents tend to be less frequent but more catastrophic.
Old 06-14-16, 07:24 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
When I switched over from MTB to road, I found the steering on the road bike to be "twitchy" for a while. It required some time and miles to get accustomed to different style of brake levers/shifters. Now, I'm 100% road, 0% MTB. I enjoy the smooth miles and the scenery and to be able to ride beside a friend or friends and conduct a conversation during parts of the ride.
Old 06-14-16, 08:07 PM
10speedBill

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Redline Disc R, 1982 Colnage Superissimo, Specialized M2 Stumpjumper, Trek Elance, 1984 Trek 610

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It took me a long time to feel confident cornering on those skinny road tires.
Old 06-14-16, 08:31 PM
TheZip

Bikes: '99 Cannondale M900, 2015 CAAD10 105

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Smoother and way more efficient. Going fast seems effortless. Went for a 30 mile ride the first time out and ended up riding 50.
Old 06-14-16, 10:51 PM
Stratman351

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Awkward. +4 or 5 mph. Neck pain, at first, from looking up. Maybe a little in your legs too just due to different position/fit.

It's stiff and responsive, maybe not twitchy. There's a great feeling that you are being asked for greater effort, and all your effort is being turned into forward progress.
Pretty much exactly my experience when I got my first road bike in 2005 and gradually phased out of trail riding (I'm getting older, and my kids are grown now so trail riding is no longer a family affair).

I wish I'd started a lot sooner, though. I never stopped to imagine the fun I'd have, along with the fitness effects. I'm 62 and rode 3,300 miles last year.
Old 06-15-16, 12:16 AM
Trace Syd

Bikes: GMC denali road bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't overcomplicate it. A road bike is just a bike. The biggest difference will be the geometry and shifting gears. The geometry you'll get used to. The shifting you'll figure out in minutes. Beyond that, you should have no problems going from one bike to another

Last edited by Trace Syd; 06-15-16 at 12:38 AM.
Old 06-15-16, 12:16 AM
beermode

Bikes: 2011 Spec Allez w/ new stuff, 2019 Stumpjumper ST Alloy

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
More rewarding as you get smoother. Riding a MTB or even a hybrid on the road has a very utility sense to it. It's almost easy as breathing. MTB'ing isn't challenging until you hit a trail. Think of a SCORE Trophy truck just idling on a well maintained gravel road. It's just a matter of pointing in the right direction, you're not stressing your skills until you go bounding over the Baja trails.
Now get out of the off road truck and get into a near race ready Porsche or Corvette, then try to drive that on a regular road...not a track. It will feel out of the element.
You have to mind your movements at all times, even when just leisurely driving. You have to avoid and correct every undulation and pothole in the road. A flick of the steering wheel will send you into the next lane...brakes are powerful but require a lot travel because you need to modulate to be smooth.
You will get used to it in no time. Every move is more purposeful and more thought out in a road bike, it has to be so, otherwise it's clumsy.

A bit overdramatic in the analogy, but I kind of thought of getting back unto a road bike was like being strapped in a twitchy race car.

The first couple times I rode, I couldn't pull a bottle out of the cage and bring it to my face without looking clumsy as all hell.
Old 06-15-16, 09:43 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Apparently not much. Every MTB rider I've ever talked to tells me they "love passing roadies on their MTB's going uphill" so you're already faster than any of these guys.
Old 06-15-16, 10:13 AM
Bikeracer123

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Roubaix Ultegra 2014 Cannondale Supersix Black inc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I started road riding on a mountain bike 30-40 miles each ride then bought a road bike 3 years ago and was blown away. I was able to do 40 plus miles immediately! I have recently entered the raceing scene and bought a new bike. If you are a strong mountain bike rider you will be a very strong road bike rider!
Old 06-15-16, 10:36 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I've seen MTB guys who were just getting into road bikes. They all seem to want to muscle the bike down the road with lots of upper body movement. Lots of wasted energy. Sitting still, relaxing and spinning is something they seem to have to get used to.

I wonder if the same is true in reverse, if roadies have to get used to more upper body when cycling on the trails.
Old 06-15-16, 10:47 AM
DustDriver

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lighter, faster, quicker response. Wait did i say faster? Yeah, faster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.