Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Question about gloves

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Question about gloves

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-16, 07:59 PM
TheGMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question about gloves

Fairly new to the bike scene and have never worn gloves. I have a pair of workout gloves that have a cushioned palm and finger area (half fingers) and wondering if there is a difference between them and cycling gloves. If so, any suggestions for a decent pair of reasonably priced gloves?? TIA,
Old 06-19-16, 08:08 PM
inspclouseau

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Personally don't like them. I find they stretch fairly quick and end up slipping and causing more discomfort than without. I'm sure I'll regret it one day when I take a spill though.
Old 06-19-16, 08:14 PM
Xherion

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It depends on the workout gloves you have. Some are pretty close to cycling gloves, but many are not. Cycling gloves usually have extra padding only around the parts of your hand that contact the bars and no where else. It's also important that they are of a material that wicks away sweat. I'd recommend you just go to your local shop and try on a bunch and see what you prefer. Some like gel, some don't, some like a lot of padding, some like it minimal. Actually I prefer not having gloves, but there are some circumstances where it's a good idea to wear them (prevents scrapes/scratches, feeling for debris when changing a tire, slippery conditions, etc.).
Old 06-19-16, 10:03 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I wear gloves because my hands sweat like crazy. I'd have a tough time without 'em.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 06-19-16, 10:12 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Specialized XC Lite are very comfy, even on hot days, and they provide full finger coverage without too much padding.

(In case of a crash, I need my hands and fingers to stay intact for work.)
Old 06-20-16, 01:06 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
cycling gloves are more important for mtb when youre taking lots more bumps and have a higher risk of spills

on road i wear gloves to use as a snot-wiper. in fact my winter / full-fingered version are general "outdoors" liners, not marketed specifically as cycling gloves
Old 06-20-16, 08:33 AM
Hermes1

Bikes: Montague Para Trooper High line

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find gloves to be essential for me and like having them. Although as already pointed out, there is a difference between workout and bike specific gloves, but you might just give your workout gloves a try and see if they work for you. Then as Xherion suggested try several on at a local LBS and decide what you like best, even then you won't know until you have actually ridden in them. For years I have ridden with inexpensive, short fingered gloves and with minimal padding, but now my commutes and local rides take me on pretty bumpy roads and I found my hands were suffering a tad. I purchased a pair of Specialized long finger gel (forget the model) and it has made all the difference. So it becomes a trial and error process.
Old 06-20-16, 08:39 AM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
I wore my workout gloves for a little while at first. They were fine at first, but I did enjoy life on the bike more when I upped my mileage and upgraded to cycling gloves.
Old 06-20-16, 08:59 AM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
If you are a minimalist, check this glove out...it's freakin AWESOME!!!!

LTZ? II

Old 06-20-16, 09:03 AM
cave12man

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on the lifting gloves. If you're talking about the leather ones with the knitting on the back, then no. They'll get rigid and hard over time. Mine don't have much padding as I ride with them primarily because my hands sweat quite a bit and padding tends to cause more trouble than it's worth with me.

Just picked these up from Nashbar and love em so far.
Old 06-20-16, 09:07 AM
Corbin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Personally I don't wear them. I did at first but found them not necessary. I have gel bar tape which is more than sufficient for me. Sweat can become an issue but a quick wipe seems to do the trick. From what I understand it's mainly a race thing. I'd start without and see what you think.
Old 06-20-16, 09:11 AM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You can get a good pair of gloves for $15 to $20 at most shops, Performance or Nashbar. I tend to buy a couple of pairs when they are on sale. They typically last a long time. I do not enjoy riding without them for multiple reasons. The first is that I like the extra padding but mainly, I like the extra grip it provides when I start to sweat a ton. During the winter, I simply wear whatever keeps my hands warm and prevents the wind from getting through. Lastly, they provide nice protection from the little falls where you forget to clip out.
I like Giro and LG but that is just because they carry those at Performance and I am usually able to get a good deal on them through their sales.
Old 06-20-16, 09:23 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by TheGMan
Fairly new to the bike scene and have never worn gloves. I have a pair of workout gloves that have a cushioned palm and finger area (half fingers) and wondering if there is a difference between them and cycling gloves. If so, any suggestions for a decent pair of reasonably priced gloves?? TIA,
You can always try them and see how your hands feel biking in workout gloves. I like riding in gloves because my bars are unpadded. I just use Brooks leather bar tape which would be very hard on the hands if I didn't wear gloves. Second, on hot days, the hands will sweat a little and gloves will help keep a decent grip on the bars. Third, should you fall, the gloves will protect your hands from getting cut up when you go down.

My go to summer glove is the Giro Bravo Gel. They are not that expensive, $25 or so full retail, $15 on sale and available just about anywhere. Just the right amount of padding in the right places, light, durable. After a long or hot ride, I just wash them in some water with a little dish soap and rinse them and they are good as new the next morning. (learned the hard way to do this. previously, I did not wash my gloves much and found they were pretty much ready for the trash after less than a year) I have 4 pair in different colors and with different amounts of wear. The oldest ones are about 7 or 8 years old and very comfortable. The newest ones I bought just a few months ago. I rotate the gloves based on the color scheme of the helmet and kit I am wearing.

In the fall, I have a pair of Giro full finger gloves I wear. I believe they are mountain biking gloves, but they give just enough coverage in cooler weather, but no padding.

Last edited by MRT2; 06-20-16 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-20-16, 09:24 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Gloves are a lot like saddles, different models from different manufacturers will feel different. Some you will like, some you won't. Go to a bike shop, try them on. Grab a handle bar for a quick preliminary test. That will let you know if there is too much padding for your taste. You may have to buy a few, you should have a few different ones anyway, to find what works for you. It's one on the primary contact points with your bike, so you want it to be comfortable and not cause a problem. The good thing is that they cost less than saddles.

Good Luck.
Old 06-20-16, 10:16 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I've always liked Specialized BG Gloves, but this year they started causing hand numbness for some reason. I switched to some full fingered gloves that have minimal padding and my hands are happy. I don't wear gloves half the time though...
Old 06-21-16, 10:19 AM
SpikedLemon

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't wear gloves on my road bike unless it's cold. I'd rather the breeze.

I have a pair of full-fingered motocross gloves that I wear with my MTB that I'll use on cold days.
Old 06-21-16, 07:16 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I always wear gloves because I like having hands after a crash.

No, workout gloves are not the same. Proper cycling gloves have no padding in the area of the ulnar nerve to help prevent getting numb hands. You don't grab a bar for hours on end in the gym or lean on the bar either.

Bontrager Gel gloves are my favorites.
Old 06-21-16, 08:47 PM
Atakuweh

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Icon Pro, 2013 Jamis Allegro Elite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to wear weightlifting gloves back in the 1970s when riding, before proper cycling gloves seemed to exist. Now I consider cycling gloves an essential part of my riding kit. Not only do they keep your hands from getting calloused and blistered, they improve your grip when sweating and can prevent serious road rash in the event of a spill. Besides which, they're essential for developing that razor sharp tan line at your wrist that helps identify you as a cyclist when you're not riding.