Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

How to run a headlight with my new Garmin computer? Need recommendations!

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-23, 10:02 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,971 Times in 4,692 Posts

Hi all. Just bought a Garmin Edge 1040, which comes with this out-front mount. The computer is soo large that there is no longer room to mount my headlight on the other side of the stem. I'd like to mount a headlight on the underside of the Garmin mount, but this seems to be the only option -- and I'd rather not buy a whole new headlight, since I already have several Bontrager lights. (Note that the Bonty lights have the slider-type mount, like this.)

So, am I missing some options? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Koyote; 02-28-23 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-28-23, 10:58 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
Is the bar tape in the way ?. I can easily fit a headlight and an out front mount on a road bar. Maybe move the bar tape back if thats the issue
Old 02-28-23, 11:08 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Is the bar tape in the way ?. I can easily fit a headlight and an out front mount on a road bar. Maybe move the bar tape back if thats the issue
Not just the bar tape, but the brake hose, too -- since I can't clamp the headlight mount over the hose.. I'd have to end the tape pretty far short of the stem in order to fit the computer out front and a light beside it.

I guess I'm looking for another mount that puts the 1040 on top and the headlight below. Am wondering if there are options besides that Garmin headlight.
Old 02-28-23, 11:40 AM
wayold

Bikes: Tallboy, Domane, old 90s MTB beater/grocery-getter, and a new franken-gravel experiment based on a Sirrus x 5.0.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Maybe not what you want, but I just mount my light on the bar to the side of the outfront Garmin mount. The unit pictured here is a 1030+ (similar in size to the 1040). The light mount is a fairly thin band that slides under the cable housings.

Last edited by wayold; 02-28-23 at 11:46 AM.
Likes For wayold:
Old 02-28-23, 11:48 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by Koyote
Not just the bar tape, but the brake hose, too -- since I can't clamp the headlight mount over the hose.. I'd have to end the tape pretty far short of the stem in order to fit the computer out front and a light beside it.

I guess I'm looking for another mount that puts the 1040 on top and the headlight below. Am wondering if there are options besides that Garmin headlight.
Just cut the tape holding the brake hose so you can install the light mount. Will not affect the brakes.

Or get one of these, its designed to install a light or GoPro under the Garmin. There are others on Amazon, just search a bit

https://www.amazon.com/TUSITA-Compat...%2C109&sr=8-14

Last edited by Steve B.; 02-28-23 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-28-23, 12:29 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Stem mount with gopro mount underside is the best for me. Light mounted to the go pro mount, 1040 above
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-28-23, 01:47 PM
zaje

Bikes: Ridley XBow

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
you can use the Garmin mount and get light with gopro/garmin mount under the Edge. I use 2 lights, one on bars and one under the Edge.

Likes For zaje:
Old 02-28-23, 05:01 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Just cut the tape holding the brake hose so you can install the light mount. Will not affect the brakes.

Or get one of these, its designed to install a light or GoPro under the Garmin. There are others on Amazon, just search a bit

https://www.amazon.com/TUSITA-Compat...%2C109&sr=8-14
I'm not sure I can fit it on my bar like that; after the transition from the oversized stem mounting section, it transitions into a semi-flattened aero shape -- and decent-sized headlights generally need hard mounts which are designed for round bars. Hence the search for a combo mount.

I will probably go with the sort of thing you recommended, Steve. Seems the most streamlined solution.

Thanks, all!
Old 02-28-23, 07:07 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by Koyote
I'm not sure I can fit it on my bar like that; after the transition from the oversized stem mounting section, it transitions into a semi-flattened aero shape -- and decent-sized headlights generally need hard mounts which are designed for round bars. Hence the search for a combo mount.

I will probably go with the sort of thing you recommended, Steve. Seems the most streamlined solution.

Thanks, all!
Yes, odd shaped bars always make this difficult
Old 03-01-23, 11:10 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Using a GoPro adapter on your out-front mount is the cleanest way to deal with that. Although Trek doesn't say so explicitly AFAICT, their "blender" mounts are compatible with GoPro mounts, and this widget seems like it will hook your Bontrager light up to an underside GoPro mount
Old 03-12-23, 08:46 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Stem mount with gopro mount underside is the best for me. Light mounted to the go pro mount, 1040 above
I have a Wahoo, not a Garmin, but suspect it is the same.

Bar mount from K-Edge with a Go Pro mount underneath.
Nite Rider light with a GoPro adapter.

Works great and I can't even see the light when riding. Keeps the bars uncluttered.

You might have to cobble together the adapters and mounts from multiple sources, but easily doable.