Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Flat Pedal Curious? Try These.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Flat Pedal Curious? Try These.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-23, 09:44 AM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
I cannot post a link due to the insufficient age of my account, but Bike Closet has Crank Brothers Stamp 1's for $20 right now. I only know because I ordered a set yesterday.

( No interest, yadda yadda. )
Here's the link: https://bikecloset.com/product-categ...sories/pedals/
FWIW - My wife has these on her road bike and loves them. They're reasonably light and seem robust.
Old 06-16-23, 10:18 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Plastic pedals are junk. Get some alloy metal pedals with steel pins.
I like plastic pedals with steel pins for lots of applications. The Race Face Chester is a good example. They are definitely not junk.

On a 3-speed city bike that I do not ride hard, I have some all-plastic Bontrager pedals, with molded nubs for grip. Also not junk.

The reasons I like plastic: It's just as tough for anything short of extreme mountain biking, and it does not easily mar other surfaces or get scuffed itself. I sometimes lean my bike against a brick wall or lay it down in my truck bed or on a paved surface. Magnesium or aluminum, whether anodized or painted/powder coated, will easily sustain minor damage in these situations. Likewise if it happens to hit a rock or curb while riding. The plastic does not get damaged as easily. When it does, it's easier to repair, by simply dressing the scuff with a file or sandpaper.

50 years ago, you could make the claim that firearms must be made of metal, preferably steel, as plastic just doesn't have the necessary strength and toughness. Then Heckler and Koch make the first polymer pistol, followed by Glock, and now every major manufacturer. Tens of millions of guns with "plastic" frames are in use, with many advantages over metal ones, and yet some old codgers are still clinging to the claim that metal is the only way to go.

Of course, you're entitled to your preference. If metal is working better for you, go with it.
Old 08-07-23, 10:35 AM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 185 Posts
EDIT: THIS IS NOT A VP-538! I APOLOGIZE FOR THE CONFUSION BUT KEEP READING TO AVOID MAKING THE SAME MISTAKE I DID!

I read this thread and then bought the VP-538 "Clem Smith" pedals. I don't like them at all. It seems to me that they've violated a basic design tenet of flat pedals, which is to keep the pedaling contact surface basically flat.

Look at this picture of a Vp-538. You see how the edges of the bearing rings stick out on both the inside and outside of the pedal? They stick out to about the same level as the end of the "pins," but since the pins penetrate into the soles of your sneaker or rubber-soled boot, one doesn't perceive them as part of the platform. What you do feel--what I feel--is those bulges for the bearings, and they keep me from putting my feet--especially my left foot, for whatever reason--where I want to.

THEY DRIVE ME CRAZY!!

Anyway, other people don't seem to have this problem, so maybe I'm strange or overly sensitive to this issue. I just thought I'd post my experience here for others.

Now I need to find some different pedals.

Last edited by Headpost; 08-07-23 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-07-23, 03:11 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by Headpost

Now I need to find some different pedals.

hmmm ... maybe consider a concave pedal - Xpedo Juvee (pictured above) or similar
Old 08-07-23, 04:39 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I read this thread and then bought the VP-538 "Clem Smith" pedals. I don't like them at all.
Interesting. They have changed in the last few years. Not sure my picture will do the job but the old one is pretty much flat all the way across, so this is not an issue on the previous version.

I checked, the Rivbike website still has pictures that look just like this pedal, so you should be able to see the differences.

https://www.rivbike.com/products/vp-538-black-pedal

Sorry this isn’t being shown as a link but just copy and paste, it will work.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 08-07-23 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-07-23, 05:05 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Look at this picture of a Vp-538.
Where did this picture come from?

I just pulled photos from VP Components for the VP-538 and two similar pedals. Not clear to me you have the 538.

Likes For ofajen:
Old 08-07-23, 05:13 PM
Headpost

Doh! My bad! I had no idea VP made so many different models that look so similar and I ordered the wrong one! (There was no model no. listed and I just ASSUMED.)

Well, maybe this thread will keep someone else from making the same mistake. Thanks so much for your help!
Old 08-07-23, 05:38 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts

confirmed - no ‘hump’
Old 08-07-23, 05:48 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Doh! My bad! I had no idea VP made so many different models that look so similar and I ordered the wrong one! (There was no model no. listed and I just ASSUMED.)

Well, maybe this thread will keep someone else from making the same mistake. Thanks so much for your help!
Yes, VP makes a lot of pedals that look similar. Sorry that one didn’t work out, I’ve had good success with the VP-538.

Otto
Old 08-18-23, 12:52 PM
Headpost

All is better now. I ordered these actual VP-538's straight from Rivendell, and so far i like them a lot. I'm not used to having such prominent "pins" on a pedal, which make readjusting your foot while riding necessarily more of a deliberate act, but I think the advantages of a firm grip outweigh that and I will get used to it in time.

Thanks again for "bearing" with me.