Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mudguards for demi-fat (2.6-3.0) tyres?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-17, 03:55 PM
drowling23

Bikes: R&M Delite GX Rohloff, Crescent Elgar 27,5 FS, Haibike SDURO HardFour 4.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One of my bikes has Rock Razor 2.35" tires and came with built-in mudguards. Now it's winter time so I'm installing some Ice Spiker 2.6 tires and suddenly the mudguards (SKS 65mm ones) aren't wide enough.

So I went online trying to find mudguards that are wider but I cannot find anything. Can someone give me hints on where to look for mudguards (full tyre rear/fork front) for tires in the 2.6-3.0 range? And if those don't exist, maybe I can modify my 65mm ones? I was thinking of cutting them down the middle and then sticking something in between the two halves, but I'm not sure if it's realistic.

Anyways, any advice appreciated!
Old 11-16-17, 04:30 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
Somewhere on mtbr.com is a fat bike fender thread, although it might be devoid of pictures after all the hosting issues recently.

Some folks did exactly that, split and widened SKS fenders, using strips of aluminum and a ton of rivets IIRC. Someone else used plastic fenders off a trials motorcycle with some mounting brackets they made.

On ebay one seller had custom made fat fenders, fiberglass I think, but also more for 4"+ tires. Couple guys making wood fenders in fat bike widths if you're into that kinda thing.

Pretty sure you can get MTB clip on style fenders in fat widths now, like a seatpost mounted rear and a fork crown or down tube mounted front from Topeak or Crud etc.

Possibly the mtbr.com thread, has some decent idea/pictures: Plastic Fenders- Mtbr.com
Old 11-16-17, 11:09 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
On youtube there are a number of videos on how to make your own mud flaps/fenders. If you are handy. Just search 'Fat bike mud laps' or 'fenders'
Old 11-17-17, 09:02 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I made a set of split fat bike fenders by splitting a set of wide Planet Bike 700C fenders and splicing in sheet aluminum. I used sheet aluminum from my local Ace Hardware, there are 4" wide rolls of it in the gutter section. It didn't take a "ton of rivets", I spaced them ~8". I put the rivet's flush head on the inside. I can't find any pictures and I sold them a few years ago.
Old 11-17-17, 09:40 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Look at Mudhugger’s site. I’ll be buying their Fathugger front mudguard. They also do a rear one but that entails buying their 29er plus the fat bike extension.

https://www.themudhugger.co.uk/products/fathugger

Not sure where you are located but that’s a U.K. based retailer.
Old 11-17-17, 10:07 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
On my 29er (29x2.3s) I use SKS Shockblade (or Shockboard?) on my front and SKS X-Blade on the rear. Not full fenders but do a good job for offroad mud and winter adventures. Their main advantage is you can install them in less than a minute. Worth taking a look at.
Old 11-17-17, 10:12 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
+1) Cant find?, Make , convert, adapt.

Splitting then adding a strip of extra plastic is how my friend put mudguards on his fat bike..

He is now on Kodiak Island .. USCG Alaska..