Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Rocky Mountain Vertex 1996

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-21, 04:34 PM
retrodude

Bikes: 1984 & 1990 Marinoni Specials - 1990 Bianchi Sika - 1993 Cannondale M800 - 1996 GT Zaskar - 1993 Kona Kilauea - 1987 Ritchey Ascent - 1996 Rocky Mountain Vertex - 2008 Kona Dogma - 1976 Schwinn Suburban - 1994 Kuwahara Makai

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 58 Posts

Thought I would share my latest purchase. Saw this on FM Marketplace by fluke, was searching the term “Rocky Mountain” to find one I was selling and noticed a non-drive side photo of this Vertex for $285 (CAD), did not know the model from this photo. Normally I’m bargain hunting for flips but on further inspection notice the Magura brakes, Syncros post and Race Face cranks, must be worth a look? First buyer was a no-show so I was invited to go check it out. After seeing the drive side I was sold, couldn’t get the seller lower than $280.

After researching the Vertex I was blown away. What a frame! (3lbs 4oz) Race Face bottom bracket, full XT, functional Judy. 15th anniversary decals. Didn’t realize these were the top end hard tails of 96’ just under the T.O. - Score!!

Too bad the threadless Syncros Cattlerhead was missing, I’m not much for 90s front suspension or gripshift so swapped to M739 triggers and Prestige Super Light rigid fork I already had on another bike, swapped the Syncors bar for a Ritchey Prolite WCS, swapped the awsome Race Face headset for a threaded Ritchey Logic, added a Syncros Cattleprod stem, Flite saddle and some of my favorite tires (Kenda Small Block Eight). The Gore Ride-on cables are still slick as butter. Now those Magura Evolution HS22s…. love em’, very heavy but who cares? They do feel better than any rim brake I have ever used. Full weight is 21.5lbs as built. All stock other than above part swaps. Took it out in amazing Vancouver warm sunny ride yesterday and was blown away. Was worried the 17.5” frame would be small (I’m 5’-7”) but fits like a glove. Not surprisingly this frame rides nicer than my 94’ Vapor (still a great frame though). Possibly the best riding vintage MTB I have ridden (neck & neck with the C’dale 93’ SM800 is just built up).

Previous owner had built it into a commuter with short stem, slick tires and lot’s of reflective tape.

As purchased:

My modifications:

Likes For retrodude:
Old 04-27-21, 08:00 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Nice bike. And nice build.

John
Old 04-29-21, 06:23 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by retrodude
Thought I would share my latest purchase. Saw this on FM Marketplace by fluke, was searching the term “Rocky Mountain” to find one I was selling and noticed a non-drive side photo of this Vertex for $285 (CAD), did not know the model from this photo. Normally I’m bargain hunting for flips but on further inspection notice the Magura brakes, Syncros post and Race Face cranks, must be worth a look? First buyer was a no-show so I was invited to go check it out. After seeing the drive side I was sold, couldn’t get the seller lower than $280.

After researching the Vertex I was blown away. What a frame! (3lbs 4oz) Race Face bottom bracket, full XT, functional Judy. 15th anniversary decals. Didn’t realize these were the top end hard tails of 96’ just under the T.O. - Score!!

Too bad the threadless Syncros Cattlerhead was missing, I’m not much for 90s front suspension or gripshift so swapped to M739 triggers and Prestige Super Light rigid fork I already had on another bike, swapped the Syncors bar for a Ritchey Prolite WCS, swapped the awsome Race Face headset for a threaded Ritchey Logic, added a Syncros Cattleprod stem, Flite saddle and some of my favorite tires (Kenda Small Block Eight). The Gore Ride-on cables are still slick as butter. Now those Magura Evolution HS22s…. love em’, very heavy but who cares? They do feel better than any rim brake I have ever used. Full weight is 21.5lbs as built. All stock other than above part swaps. Took it out in amazing Vancouver warm sunny ride yesterday and was blown away. Was worried the 17.5” frame would be small (I’m 5’-7”) but fits like a glove. Not surprisingly this frame rides nicer than my 94’ Vapor (still a great frame though). Possibly the best riding vintage MTB I have ridden (neck & neck with the C’dale 93’ SM800 is just built up).

Previous owner had built it into a commuter with short stem, slick tires and lot’s of reflective tape.

As purchased:

My modifications:

looks great but why remove shocks...
Old 04-30-21, 07:57 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Wow. As a commuter/bike path bike, that is pretty hot. Intelligent and stylish build. Well done!

That stem is a blast from the past. I had one of those on my first real MTB in the mid/late 90s. What is that, 135mm? Gotta love the days when stems were as long as bars were narrow. Sucks for trails, but great for what I assume this bike is intended for.
Old 05-03-21, 10:09 AM
retrodude

Bikes: 1984 & 1990 Marinoni Specials - 1990 Bianchi Sika - 1993 Cannondale M800 - 1996 GT Zaskar - 1993 Kona Kilauea - 1987 Ritchey Ascent - 1996 Rocky Mountain Vertex - 2008 Kona Dogma - 1976 Schwinn Suburban - 1994 Kuwahara Makai

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Wow. As a commuter/bike path bike, that is pretty hot. Intelligent and stylish build. Well done!

That stem is a blast from the past. I had one of those on my first real MTB in the mid/late 90s. What is that, 135mm? Gotta love the days when stems were as long as bars were narrow. Sucks for trails, but great for what I assume this bike is intended for.
Syncros 130mm. Surprisingly I am really enjoying the stretched out/narrower handlebar position lately, reliving the 90s I guess. I have (5) vintage 90s MTBs and (3) of them are set up this way. I loved this riding position back in the day and it still feels right to me