Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

VeloNews: 2023 Trek Domane at Paris-Roubaix?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-22, 06:25 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts

Note: Link below requires free Outside magazine account to view full article.
https://www.velonews.com/gallery/new...rek-segafredo/

As a Trek Domane "fanboy" and owner of a 2020 Domane SL7, some observations assuming this is indeed the new Domane...
  • Seat post is radically changed, hopefully for the better. My biggest gripe with my 2020 SL7 is that the adjustment slot and "post into frame" vs "post over frame" design invites water and dirt into the frame.
  • No adjustable rear ISO speed decoupler. I predicted this would go away as most SLR owners I've conversed with never adjust the bike's dampening once they initially set it. It was a neat feature, but adds to the complexity of the frame ($$$) and adds to it's weight. I don't think the adjuster will be missed.
  • Front ISO speed decoupler? Hard to tell if the front of these bikes has front ISO speed or not.
  • Downtube storage? Some of the bikes in the article have the downtube storage, some don't. I like my downtube storage :-)
  • 1x!!! Perhaps not unusual for the Paris-Roubaix, it looks like the Trek team has eschewed a front derailleur in-favor of a chain keeper.

If this is the new Domane, the big question on everyone's mind will be, "What does it weigh?" While my 2020 SL7 isn't the lightest bike I've owned, it's by far the nicest bike to ride that I've ever owned. I'm willing to sacrifice a few grams for long term riding comfort.

Thoughts? If this is the new Domane, will you be selling your bike and placing an order... or "meh, not a big enough change from the current Domane"?
Old 04-14-22, 06:56 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Looks very nice. A red frameset fading to black has always been my favourite ''colour combo''.

1x seems to be gaining popularity now...like disc brakes a few years ago and TL tires.
Old 04-14-22, 07:00 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Kind of glad I picked up the 22 Domane when I did. I can only imagine the frustration when faced with the limited production for having two ( ? ) potentially different frames.
Old 04-14-22, 07:53 AM
force10

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
What was the purpose of the seat mast system over a regular seat post originally?

It seems pretty clear from the article that front isospeed is out - it isnt included on the new 2022 checkpoints either.

They'd be crazy to eliminate the downtube storage IMO - that has to be popular.

Does anyone know how to get the Domane with that shorter head tube? Is that only for the semi-custom project 1 bikes?
Old 04-14-22, 07:58 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by force10
What was the purpose of the seat mast system over a regular seat post originally?
Treks have just done seatmasts for a long time. No good reason I know of besides the usual weight and compliance argument.

I'm a bit sad to see adjustable isospeed go. I know most people would set it and forget it, but that's still a good use case for it. I'm sure different people have different preferred settings. I'd also be ok with them selling replacement IsoSpeed "modules" to tune the rear end stiffness. Just speaking as a light rider who likes compliance.
Old 04-14-22, 08:11 AM
force10

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Treks have just done seatmasts for a long time. No good reason I know of besides the usual weight and compliance argument.

I'm a bit sad to see adjustable isospeed go. I know most people would set it and forget it, but that's still a good use case for it. I'm sure different people have different preferred settings. I'd also be ok with them selling replacement IsoSpeed "modules" to tune the rear end stiffness. Just speaking as a light rider who likes compliance.
It does seem like "tunable" isospeed makes sense if adjustable isospeed was not much utilized. There is a lot of variety in weight and preference. It also seems like the adjustability would have been to the advantage of those who used thier Domane as both a road and gravel bike.

How much do Roubaix bikes have to conform to consumer offerings anyway?
Old 04-14-22, 08:22 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Looks very nice. A red frameset fading to black has always been my favourite ''colour combo''.
Except that is a red frameset fading to blue...
Old 04-14-22, 09:23 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by force10

It seems pretty clear from the article that front isospeed is out - it isnt included on the new 2022 checkpoints either.

They'd be crazy to eliminate the downtube storage IMO - that has to be popular.

Does anyone know how to get the Domane with that shorter head tube? Is that only for the semi-custom project 1 bikes?
With rear IsoSpeed, there's a pivot point at the top tube/seat tube junction - even on models where an internal post might not be impeded, shoving a seat post through that pivot point would defeat the purpose of tuned flex.

The shorter head tubes are from a different fit option (their fit options are labeled H1 [most aggressive], H1.5. H2 [least aggressive/endurance]) and typically only available on the SLR models.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-14-22, 11:31 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Except that is a red frameset fading to blue...
Thanks for correcting my color blindness. Now you understand why I didn't become a plane pilot!
Old 04-14-22, 01:45 PM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
No more shock in the head tube? That precludes my purchase.
Old 04-14-22, 02:07 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I'm curious as to whether these will be the same bikes available to the public or if they are custom rigs for the pro's. I like the idea of adjustable Isospeed as well as the front Isospeed. My Domane SLR5 is more shock absorbing than my Ti road bike and stiffer at the bottom bracket. the one caveat is that my Ti frame is 20 years old so the newer ones may be stiffer in the BB dept. That area on the Domane is MASSIVE !!

They pro rigs probably ditch the storage compartment as well. I don't imagine the pros need it but its a popular feature for the rest of us.

Of course if the pro rigs have to match production bikes then I am way off. Don't know alot about pro specs in bike racing.
Old 04-14-22, 02:34 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
It's possible/probably that those pictured are RSL models designed specifically for the team. The new SL and SLR models may vary somewhat.
Old 04-14-22, 03:01 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
No more shock in the head tube? That precludes my purchase.
There was never a 'shock' in the headtube. There was never anything in the headtube other than the bearings for the Iso Speed.
Old 04-14-22, 08:44 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
I have the SLR7 and have never changed the default middle setting for the isospeed. I would not mind losing that adjustability in favor of a weight savings.
Old 04-15-22, 05:55 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
There was never a 'shock' in the headtube. There was never anything in the headtube other than the bearings for the Iso Speed.
No kidding....thanks, Captain Obvious
Old 04-15-22, 06:38 AM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
With rear IsoSpeed, there's a pivot point at the top tube/seat tube junction - even on models where an internal post might not be impeded, shoving a seat post through that pivot point would defeat the purpose of tuned flex.

The shorter head tubes are from a different fit option (their fit options are labeled H1 [most aggressive], H1.5. H2 [least aggressive/endurance]) and typically only available on the SLR models.
For the outgoing generation, Pro Endurance (H1.5) was the most aggressive available (through Project One only), with H2 being standard production geometry. While H1.5 dramatically improves the aesthetics of the bike, it puts the geometry pretty close to the Emonda - still not overly aggressive IMO.

Old 04-15-22, 09:02 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
That chainring...
Old 04-22-22, 08:59 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
I love my Domane SLR7, but my one main complaint is not having a standard seat and the goofy seat mast. I'm not sure the IsoSpeed will be that big of an issue by the average rider however. I love the color scheme those bikes have as well.

Old 04-23-22, 01:20 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 541 Posts
I wish they could come up with a smaller logo rather than the one that takes up the whole downtube. Other than that.... color me interested.